Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #31
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,677
I've had good service from KTM and their dealers in my part of the world although they SLAM us major $$$$ for parts down under. They are not a perfect company but I've never met one that is..their bikes are pretty cool though

Night Falcon screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 10:24 PM
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #32
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
That was well over a couple years ago,he needs to try harder to get over it.

I went to buy a new 300 in 96,dealer tried to sell me on a 360 at a special price.

The issues with it were well known so I declined. The 2014 300 XCW I just bought is the best running 2 stroke Ive ever ridden,by a ways,better then a 4 stroke for climbing tricky stuff.
That is the prevailing thought of pretty much everyone on a 2-stroke.... that I pass going uphill on my 520. Now, I'm smart enough to know they have the advantage on the way down and in the mud...mainly due to weight.
300 is an awesome bike but even though you may think it has good low end pull, it isn't a 4 stroke. And as much power as my 520 has, it has the power of a 250 2-stroke. That's the way it is. Don't fool yourself.
Then/than...

ADVill screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 07:56 AM
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,572
This type of thread appears on EVERY forum know to the moto man ...and humans.

BMW guys hating BMW now and KTM is the best, KTM guys gets shit run turns up in Parallel Universe saying KTM is crap ... ra ra ra

I had the same with 5 dud Ducatis in a row (I am a slow learner) so now I have KTMs, despite one or two stupidities they are great (maybe I am still a slow learner but the SE rocks ) ...as did my 990 SMR and my old 400 EXC etc.

Point is you see this everywhere on every make, no-one is immune.

I hope KTM steps up if it is found to be their fault/problem with the 1190 air filter, I was not so lucky with Ducati.

Now I can't understand why my back disc pads keep wearing out just because we are using it in wet and muddy places and mountain passes requiring more than engine breaking bluudy KTM's fault for making a bike to get there??????
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,384
Excellent support!

Derek,

My 2005.5 95-A had almost 60,000 miles on it when the sprag clutch on the starter began to act up. My Dealer, Carson Motorsports, in Carson City, did the repair under the TSB. Now, that is customer service!

Thanks KTM-USA

Pointman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
As a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM and Can-Am dealer I can confidently tell you that KTM stands behind their product like no other manufacturer. We get stuff "good-willed" by KTM all the time that the other guys would laugh at us for even asking.

Derek
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #35
OrangeDevil37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
a couple of years ago i ripped the front end of my 250sxf KTM off by hitting another rider pulling off the track 4th gear WFO! i broke my collar bone and some ribs. long story short KTM sent me 2 sets of new Triple clamps and everything to fix the bike up myself! KTM has always been good to me. heres some pics of that wreck before and after!

OrangeDevil37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
ummmm

This would be the exact reason NOT to buy the First year of a new product..... There gonna have a few issues no matter what or how much you beta test. Not to mention that most test bikes are NOT the production model.

I'm not agreeing or dis-agreeing with any one but how many times have it been done, something new comes out everyone jumps on board and then boom some unforeseen issues pop up and the OEM is the asshole no matter what.

I can guarantee you there are a bunch of higher ups @ KTM who have seen or heard about this and are more upset then the end user because at the end of the day they are still a business.
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Thats why I'm buying a 2014
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #38
Unhingedlizard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
This would be the exact reason NOT to buy the First year of a new product..... There gonna have a few issues no matter what or how much you beta test. Not to mention that most test bikes are NOT the production model.

I'm not agreeing or dis-agreeing with any one but how many times have it been done, something new comes out everyone jumps on board and then boom some unforeseen issues pop up and the OEM is the asshole no matter what.
Exactly right. I was foolish enough to buy a 350z Nissan in the first year of manufacture and boy was that a bad idea. Among many things the paint started to peel off. You would think a car company with Nissans experience could get that right! After failing to learn my lesson with the Z I brought a first edition GTR. While I had that I basically needed a Nissan engineer on speed dial as minor things kept going wrong with the electrics that would stop the entire car from working!

Edit: Just want to point out Nissan were awesome in all dealing though. Admitting fault and they repainted the Z (in a different colour) and were always happy to help fix any issues regardless of how often they saw me!
Unhingedlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #39
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDevil37 View Post
a couple of years ago i ripped the front end of my 250sxf KTM off by hitting another rider pulling off the track 4th gear WFO! i broke my collar bone and some ribs. long story short KTM sent me 2 sets of new Triple clamps and everything to fix the bike up myself! KTM has always been good to me. heres some pics of that wreck before and after!

[http://s496.photobucket.com/user/mul...dia/1.jpg.html http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...isha0351/1.jpg

http://s496.photobucket.com/user/mulisha0351/media/IMG_3442.jpg.html"]http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/mulisha0351/IMG_3442.jpg

http://s496.photobucket.com/user/mul...1/IMG_4414.jpg
I have heard of ppl getting new frames after they found cracks in them (even 5+y old frames) but i never heard of a person that got the parts to fix his bike after he crashed it himself. (i know it ain't your fault, but you basically caused the damage) That's rather impressive, and it proves how KTM stands by their product. (the pics that circle the inet of broken front-ends might help a bit tho )
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #40
OrangeDevil37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
I have heard of ppl getting new frames after they found cracks in them (even 5+y old frames) but i never heard of a person that got the parts to fix his bike after he crashed it himself. (i know it ain't your fault, but you basically caused the damage) That's rather impressive, and it proves how KTM stands by their product. (the pics that circle the inet of broken front-ends might help a bit tho )
yeah i agree, but KTM also helped me out with my 690 Duke when i had the FI problems free of charge and has always helped me out with alot of other stuff with no hassle. so far i have been on KTMs for 8 years and never had any issues. i did sell the 250sxf for a 250sx and havent looked back! haha
OrangeDevil37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #41
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 467
One guys opinion

Just saying in hopes KTM execs at the top would gain some understanding. Yeah LaLa land but here goes.

KTM 2008 450 xcrw needed a new cam as the factory one was designed wrong. KTM gave me the new cam after repeated contacts but dealer wanted to charge me to install. KTM never took responsibility for the problem. Dealer said it was internet hysteria!

KTM 2008 Adv had the "on/off twitchy throttle. I had to fix it myself with a correctly designed tune from TuneECU. Dealer had no help. KTM never recognized the problem.

Both of these issues are design/production problems that KTM should have declared and fixed free of charge.

What saves KTM is a great design/engineering team but the sales department has a used car lot image. Once your out the driveway... your on your own.

Yes I am staying with KTM too! Great bikes... poor support, but it's not the bike it's the companies management. They probably think they are saving money but I think they are loosing out to more sales in the long run.

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 11:18 AM
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #42
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDevil37 View Post
yeah i agree, but KTM also helped me out with my 690 Duke when i had the FI problems free of charge and has always helped me out with alot of other stuff with no hassle. so far i have been on KTMs for 8 years and never had any issues. i did sell the 250sxf for a 250sx and havent looked back! haha
My KTM's have been trouble free aswell, accept for my 450sx. That thing was a bitch to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Just saying in hopes KTM execs at the top would gain some understanding. Yeah LaLa land but here goes.

KTM 2008 450 xcrw needed a new cam as the factory one was designed wrong. KTM gave me the new cam after repeated contacts but dealer wanted to charge me to install. KTM never took responsibility for the problem. Dealer said it was internet hysteria!

KTM 2008 Adv had the "on/off twitchy throttle. I had to fix it myself with a correctly designed tune from TuneECU. Dealer had no help. KTM never recognized the problem.

Both of these issues are design/production problems that KTM should have declared and fixed free of charge.

What saves KTM is a great design/engineering team but the sales department has a used car lot image. Once your out the driveway... your on your own.

Yes I am staying with KTM too! Great bikes... poor support, but it's not the bike it's the companies management. They probably think they are saving money but I think they are loosing out to more sales in the long run.
KTM gave the part, it's up to the dealer to provide service.

My dealers have been great to me, altough i didn ot have any hassle and do my own work most of the time. The jerky throttle is working as intended due to emissions. KTM was/is not the only one either (read reviews of the new Yamaha MT09) But im glad they sorted that one out, the 1190 is butter smooth. And not to forget, a tuneup with TuneECU can help allot. Not allot of brands have that kind of tuneability with opensource software without having to buy a 500dollar engine management box.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #43
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
As someone who fixes bikes for a living, I see a lot of poor air box designs and I also see owners screw up installing the air filter.

A poor air box design can be fixed with right application of grease around the air filter sealing surface, some 3-bond sealant. I even had to fix a few factory filters with foam and hot glue because I was not happy with how they seal. It sucks, but some are just that way.

Then we have the owners who could not install a filter properly to save their lives. Brackets or screws missing, no oil on a foam filter, etc. I see a few bikes a year with totalled top ends because proper maintenance has not been done.

When you get a poor air box design along with a poor owner, bad things happen.
Honda will not replace a motor because "the air box design sucks and the owner didn't get the little tabs lined up right."

I have not seen the 1190 air box, next to the photos, so I will hold judgement. I am just stating that I am sure every manufacture hears the "my motor blew up because of your air filter" argument daily.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote