User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #421
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 653
dyno numbers?

So with the foam filter kit, jetting dialed in, canisterectomy/SAS removal, and a wings or akro aftermarket exhaust, what kind of ponies is this motor pumping out?
durtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #422
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso122 View Post
Needles to clip 1
Front main jet 160
Rear main jet 170
Idle air jets to 65 ( I need to double check this but sounds right)
Low speed jets to 45
Both pilots 2 1/4 turns out
Was the AFR measured independently for both cylinders, or the difference between the two main jets was only assumed? It seems very large, hence my question.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #423
rhodeydog
Childish adult

Oddometer: 71
Since we're on the topic, maybe one or more of you can assist on what I think is a basic jetting question on my new-to-me 950SE. Airbox & jetting are stock, and I just installed a single Ti Remus silencer with CJ's 2-1 midpipe. I just ran it for several days in the dirt in Big Bend (2500'), and there's a slight off-throttle hesitation along with a fair amt. of backfiring. After reading recommendations from CPModem & others, I raised the needles one position to the middle (3rd slot from the top). It now starts a bit easier but still pops. Snow on the ground so may not get it out for a little while. I live at 7400' so not sure why it's got some lean spots, esp. running richer needle positions.

Any ideas? Oh, almost forgot -- already had the carbs balanced by my local shop. New air filter too.
rhodeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #424
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodeydog View Post
Since we're on the topic, maybe one or more of you can assist on what I think is a basic jetting question on my new-to-me 950SE. Airbox & jetting are stock, and I just installed a single Ti Remus silencer with CJ's 2-1 midpipe. I just ran it for several days in the dirt in Big Bend (2500'), and there's a slight off-throttle hesitation along with a fair amt. of backfiring. After reading recommendations from CPModem & others, I raised the needles one position to the middle (3rd slot from the top). It now starts a bit easier but still pops. Snow on the ground so may not get it out for a little while. I live at 7400' so not sure why it's got some lean spots, esp. running richer needle positions.

Any ideas? Oh, almost forgot -- already had the carbs balanced by my local shop. New air filter too.
Have you played with the fuel screws? While at it, get the flex-jets, they make things far easier.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #425
rhodeydog
Childish adult

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Have you played with the fuel screws? While at it, get the flex-jets, they make things far easier.
My only experience with carbs was on my former 525 & now current 530 with a modified stock pipe. I installed a Blais jet kit on the 530 and, despite playing with the fuel-mixture screw, that bike runs great but also backfires off-throttle quite a bit (at high elevation, at least). I've frankly been a bit intimidated getting into the 950 carbs, other than the needle adjustment previously described. I was hoping the bike had enough off road hp that I could set the carbs once and it'd be good for most elevations. I take it that the flex-jets are to allow easy access to the fuel-mixture screws? Can this upset the carb balance if they are not adjusted equally?

Thanks for the response. I should also have mentioned that the hesitation I described cannot be felt offroad, and that the bike otherwise seems to run well and is not overheating. Just strange that it backfires so much.
rhodeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #426
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
One of the big advantages to me of the foam air filter kit is how easy it makes carb access. No more fishing the fuel line thru the airbox, calling engineers in Mattighoffen unrepeatable names, etc. It gets rid of a LOT of complexity.

My bike remains stock jetting. My friend, who ran his on the dyno, is running a bit different, but not much. We are at elevation, I think down low I'd wind up going richer.

As far as HP #'s, they are not much good for comparison, but since durtrider asks, his bikes on that dyno both started around low 90's, made a bit under 100 with airbox mods and Akras, and the foam filter one is now north of 105. That's a big improvement. It sure feels like every bit of that.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #427
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,261
I need new rear plastics for my SE....

Anyone have a vendor they recommend?
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #428
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
I need new rear plastics for my SE....

Anyone have a vendor they recommend?
I bought a side stand from this place was the cheapest place I could find.

http://www.ktmpartspitstop.com
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #429
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Does the 4.6 gallon fuel tank from the 950 SMR fit on the SE?
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #430
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 15,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
Not without a lot of modification. And, be cautious since many of the SM tanks from up to about 07 or so leaked.

I bought an SM tank, decided the mods to make it fit were too complicated and sold the tank. A couple years later, the buyer contacted me to explain the tank developed a leak.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #431
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Steve View Post
I bought a side stand from this place was the cheapest place I could find.

http://www.ktmpartspitstop.com

that worked perfectly.....thanks
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #432
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Oddometer: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
Dunno , I fitted a Safari tank a week after I purchased my SE and the world is a nicer place for me since , I regularly do 250 miles before the light goes on and about 45 miles after with a considered approach to throttle application . If that does not do it for you , the rear side tank and 2 into one mid pipe will add another 60 or so miles with a bit in reserve .

My riding is in km and I regularly do 600 km between fuel stops with the Safari tank and rear side tank , sorry , my memory fails me when I try to think of the side tank Manufacturer . It'll be here about's somewhere though .

You can never have too much fuel ...... unless you are on fire .