Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Visian OP
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,659
MotoSummits: Ride, post & win the ADV bike of your choice... what do you think?

I'd really appreciate your input on this experiment. And if it blows up in my face, please look the other way.

You may be aware of the adventure riding events I’ve put on over the past 5 years. Most have been at BMW rallies, but there have been a few at other venues. These events have been a test of a business model that I envision, designed to bring benefits to riders and bring more people into our sport.

So far, so good… attendance has been 2-3 times that of other events and the feedback I get from the riders is over the top. People are really enjoying them. But they’ve fallen short on a few objectives. To improve upon the effort, and to get input on a new idea, I am opening a thread here.

Brief aside, since some folks here may not know me: I’ve been riding dual-sport/adventure bikes before they were called that, even before there were bikes designed for doing what we do. I write a column for BMW Owners News and other adventure-related blather for a few moto publications.

My first adventure bike.

So, what do you think about this?

Consistent with the goal of giving riders a great deal, what if there were a frequent rider program? Sort of an S&H green stamps reward you get for riding and partying in the real world and posting, sharing, reporting, recommending and referring on-line.

As a rider, you no doubt know the pain of paying to replace bent or worn out parts, performing scheduled maintenance, and fees for training, events and even more farkles for our bikes. What if you could offset some of these costs simply by doing as much as possible of what you already do?

Success here will also require industry support. Some companies offer their own frequent buyer discounts, and sponsorship money is damn tight in the motobiz, now and for the foreseeable future. And ultimately, sponsors will have to see the value of your recommendation for their product, here on ADVrider.

Success will come by achieving critical mass, which I can’t afford to create out of my own pocket.

So in 2014, to test this concept, I am thinking about the following:
- Points awarded for riding to adventure destinations and in various events, and sharing information, photos, GPS tracks, campsite and equipment recommendations online here at ADVrider and other social venues

- Winner receives their choice of adventure bike, value up to $22 large

- Other prizes as possible with remaining cash and whatever love sponsors show

- Possible grand finale with the top 3 flown to a cool destination
To do this, it will take 400 riders in the USA at $100 each (this really needs to be international, maybe someday).

During 2014, we’ll refine our program, beg for money and skills to develop a mobile app and to automate the scoring and rewards program so that the program can grow it into 2015.

As a big believer in community power, I think this could be a win-win-win for adventure riders and the the OEM and aftermarket industries.

Anyone know anybody at BMW/Ducati/Honda/Kawasaki/KTM/Suzuki/Triumph/Yamaha/AMA/MIC???

Scoring begins on March 1, with the first events being the Trans-Florida Ride, Death Valley Noobs, Dualsport Desert Daze, March Moto Madness and more.

Go/No-Go time is February 15, I need 400 riders by then, or this just won’t happen with the oomph required for success.

I am all

What if you could win the adventure bike of your dreams just by riding and posting about stuff that you love?

Visian screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 01:39 PM
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,291
I'd be in, Ian, just for the fun of it It would be a great way to win entry fees for races :yeah and boy do I go through some parts, thats for sure
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,190
I think it's a great idea.

MAX BMW Motorcycles is working up something similar for the Northeast. Some events will be scored and others will be fun runs. Some prizes will be awarded based on points scored, others will be raffled so all the participants get a chance.

It will all lead up to the Color in the Catskills where the big prizes will be awarded at the Saturday night dinner. The grand prize will be raffled at dinner with participants getting a ticket for each event they completed to encourage participation. It will be a game of chance and the winner must be present.

What I see as your biggest challenge is finding 400 riders who are willing to throw $100 to compete for a new bike, especially if they also have to pay fees to attend each event too. The way I see it is I know that there are plenty of better riders so my chances of actually winning the grand prize are slim so why spend the $100 to enter, especially if this is an add on to established events that have their own fees.

Ultimately I think your biggest challenge will be developing a scoring system that is easy to understand and above all else fair. When scoring things like social media posts and such it becomes much harder to be consistent and fair. When 22 grand is in play the rules and scoring need to be bullet proof.

It's a great idea and I hope it can come to fruition. I'm very interested in what can be done to encourage the guys like me who love to compete but know we'll never win to come out and play.
Ritalin Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post

MAX BMW Motorcycles is working up something similar for the Northeast.
How about making it part of a larger thing, given that Max sells stuff nationally?

Over the past three years, I've tried to get the Color in the Catskills event to be part of a series of events, even discussed at length this with you, but couldn't get to first base. Guess I'm not yankee enough....

And you never know about weekly "shout out" challenges.... :Evil

Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
hmmm..

sounds interesting.

and no.. you're probably not yankee enough. ;)

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:

The way I see it is I know that there are plenty of better riders so my chances of actually winning the grand prize are slim so why spend the $100 to enter, especially if this is an add on to established events that have their own fees.
put all riders on equal ground ...or chances for winning a bike based on attendance or other participation in events that may help. But of course some sort of monetary incentive for the skilled riders.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
What I see as your biggest challenge is finding 400 riders who are willing to throw $100 to compete for a new bike, especially if they also have to pay fees to attend each event too.
It will be entirely possible to win this thing without paying for or buying anything else.

The competition will be about performance.

The rewards part of the program will be for the rest of the entrants, if I can pull it off.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
put all riders on equal ground ...or chances for winning a bike based on attendance or other participation in events that may help. But of course some sort of monetary incentive for the skilled riders.
Thanks.... you're spot on with this. At the track events I've run, the scoring formula is based on weight and skill. Heavy, medium and light bikes... hard, medium and easy path on the course.

I am thinking through how this works for scoring points for riding in the real-world.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,989
Cool2 Playing the Devil's advocate...

Yeah, but…isn't motorcycling an individual concept? Is the point of this to build community? I don't necessarily need to join a contest to enjoy my riding. I do, however, enjoy riding with good people.

It's a great idea, Ian. Just trying to understand the core of this concept. Maybe I'm slow…

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
In

Count me IN. I think it is a great idea and everyone "should" join in.

Here is my reasoning for others to consider. You have a dream. It is to get an adventure bike and start riding some adventures. You get the bike, however, life keeps getting in the way. This is the same with trying working out to lose weight or whatever else you "want" to do. What I have noticed is that in order to move certain "dreams" up in priority versus "life in the way" you have to make commitments. These commitments have to be more than just (gee, I want to ride this weekend.) I bet you can guess what those weekend rides you dream of get replaced with. yep "life", hunny you need to paint the bathroom this weekend. So the solution is to have some focused goals that include "real excuses" that will work versus life. Hunny, I would love to do the bathroom this weekend, however I am signed up to "compete" in this upcoming adventure event for the chance to win an new adventure bike. If I win one I will be able to buy more furniture that you want for the living room... or whatever...you get the point.

My real point to this is it will not be about winning "the bike". It will be that you were able to get your dreams past the wishing stages versus "life" trying to interrupt your passions.

Just a thought anyway, this stuff has worked for me as real life excuses in other ventures. A real competition does carry weight when family and friends try to include you in their priorities.

I hope this takes off.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
Yeah, but…isn't motorcycling an individual concept? Is the point of this to build community? I don't necessarily need to join a contest to enjoy my riding. I do, however, enjoy riding with good people.

It's a great idea, Ian. Just trying to understand the core of this concept. Maybe I'm slow…
Well, the adventure community started building about 30 years ago, and really caught fire about 10 years ago, thanks in large part to ADVrider.

Just like any product, service, destination, entertainer, etc., this won't be for everyone.

I think it will appeal to achievement-oriented and value-oriented riders, and hopefully others that will enjoy following what happens throughout the year.

I could be wrong....

Which is the reason for this thread.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
My real point to this is it will not be about winning "the bike". It will be that you were able to get your dreams past the wishing stages versus "life" trying to interrupt your passions.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Ian, I think you've done a great job so far. Just trying to take it to the next level is gonna be a huge task. The adventure market seems to be growing, but maybe it just seems that way to me as I spend way to much time here and dreaming and planning my next adventure. If you succeed it will only bring us all closer together and hopefully add fuel to the fire.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
Guess I'm not yankee enough....

Not even close.

Real Yankees do just fine with the natural terrain. We've been farming rocky soil for close to 400 years. I expect that's why folks tend to get confused when someone wants them to bring out the heavy equipment and *make* obstacles when we've got an entire mountain to play with.
Ritalin Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,989
Thumb Well put.

This is a good way to look at it. We all love the riding and camaraderie - given. If we establish time on the calendar, these things can be planned out and time budgeted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
Count me IN. I think it is a great idea and everyone "should" join in.

Here is my reasoning for others to consider. You have a dream. It is to get an adventure bike and start riding some adventures. You get the bike, however, life keeps getting in the way. This is the same with trying working out to lose weight or whatever else you "want" to do. What I have noticed is that in order to move certain "dreams" up in priority versus "life in the way" you have to make commitments. These commitments have to be more than just (gee, I want to ride this weekend.)

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote