User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Rikki Rockett OP
Look What The Cat Rode In

Oddometer: 228
Husqvarna TR650 ?

Is the Husky even in the running on this level?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Rockett View Post
Do you wish you would have gone with the 990 or maybe the new 1190 instead of the Tiger 1200?

No... to me each bike has its own purpose. 1200 tiger is a nice comfy bike for sport touring and some fire roads if needed 990 to me is something you take when you only want dirt a lot of it and know the dirt will be either fast really bad or both.

Only ridden the 1190R twice and I think this is a bit between the 2 as is the 1200 GSA but the 1190 being a bit more off road oriented.

To me the tiger 1200 is an awesome Bike but has a lot of bulk and lacks the suspension to make it more off road suited Maybe one day Ohlins will fix this but no adjustablity is a big downer

Also a husky TR650 is like buying a XR650L with better looks. Heavy low power and mediocre components.

I still think bang for the Buck would be the 990 Great power to weight and a really good starting point for suspension. The Tiger 800 is close but at almost the same price or right at the same price there is a huge compromise on some key components.

In the end you need to buy or ride what will net you most Smiles per gallon As long as your riding something that really the point right?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Couple Questions that would define it for me....will you be riding 2 up at all? And will you want to cruise more the 75mph highway (if ever!)??

If the answer to both is "yes" or "Maybe" than the 990 is your bike. If you answered no to both, than I would go find a decent used 690 R and pimp the shit out of it or buy that 700RR kit from Oz. In fact there is a nice one in the fleamarket right now that I'd be all over if I had the cash:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937680

I've recently read RoninMoto's RR...."RTW with Noah on a KTM 690" ...if ever there was a case for the 690, its this RR. It's got me sold on the 690 for sure.
If I end up riding as many events as I plan to this coming season, I will definetly be in the market for something along the lines of that 690R/700RR for the season after
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Rikki Rockett OP

I'm sort of feeling the 690 because I won't get rid of the Tiger. I am not a bad assed dirt rider. Back in PA when I was a. Kid, I was fearless on my dirt bikes, but not so much anymore. I doubt I will ride 2 up, but freeway use is a possibility as I live in a suburb of LA and freeways are everywhere. Just to get to Gorman it's a freeway. I don't wanna tow because at that point I'd be looking at full on dirt bikes.

My idea is hit the road looking for fun trails and some slightly longer adventure. If I was going for a several hundred miles I'd just take the Tiger and wrestle it off road I guess.

Having trouble finding a 690, though. Geez, it's never easy!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I think you'll be very happy with the 690 (if you can find one) if your looking for a mainly off road machine while taking pavement to get there. I got my 990 thinking it was going to whip around like a dirt bike off road but man-o-man, it is a big beast. Now, there are plenty of folks who can do that stuff with the 990 and it is very capable but you have to be a very talented rider. For me the 990 is a perfect bike because while I enjoy off road riding it's my daily rider and touring bike, I can load it up with gear for a week and be plenty happy without feeling like I needed to cut weight by leaving things behind. The Tiger is a good bike but it will handle much the same way off road as the 990, if you just want to have a blast in the dirt get the 690 or 525 exc.

BUT, the 990 will have more power, 21" wheel up front, better suspension than the Tiger... if you have to REALLY want a 990 Baja why keep the Tiger?
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Dude..that link to the classified section I put up is for a 690 in San Jose....and its a beauty...dosen't get much better than that...just sayin'

Here it is again in case you missed it: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937680

Hell...If I lived in CA I'd be all over that thing!
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
Rikki Rockett OP

This past summer, Triumph gave me the Tiger. I have an ongoing relationship with Triumph. I really love the brand and the Tiger is a joy to ride. I just want a more dirt capable bike as well. I don't plan to go out on the whoops and ride like a banshee, however. Just trails and some mild knarly stuff from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceSquatch View Post
if you have to REALLY want a 990 Baja why keep the Tiger?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #23
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,269
Maybe a KTM 690 but...

I've seen guys who did a bunch of ugrades to their Tiger 800's to make them more compatible to the KTM Adventures... like suspension upgrades. Of course I'm partial to the OC but I'd think the 800 has got some aftermarket potential there. I think it would be a fun challenge it I owned one to try and max out it's offroad potential.

There's a pretty trick Triumph dealer down in the South Bay/ Harbor City area that does some pretty trick stuff to Triumphs.

Just my crazy opinion.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Rikki Rockett OP

Southbay Triumph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I've seen guys who did a bunch of ugrades to their Tiger 800's to make them more compatible to the KTM Adventures... like suspension upgrades. Of course I'm partial to the OC but I'd think the 800 has got some aftermarket potential there. I think it would be a fun challenge it I owned one to try and max out it's offroad potential.

There's a pretty trick Triumph dealer down in the South Bay/ Harbor City area that does some pretty trick stuff to Triumphs.

Just my crazy opinion.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Rikki,

slightly off topic...reference your signature line, you seem like a man with discerning taste for motorcycles and this thread speaks to diversifying the capabilities of each. To that point, why have both a Thruxton and Scrambler, they also seem like pretty similar motos to me?

You got a motorcycle problem, man!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #26
Rikki Rockett OP

I DO have a motorcycle problem! You are 100% correct and my wife would agree!!!

Yes, the scrambler as far as being built on the Bonnie platform is very similar. It's a scrambler and not a Cafe racer, however. But, it's funny you'd mention that bike because it is that very bike that's on the chopping block to be sold to get the KTM.

Cheers,
Rikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall109 View Post
Rikki,

slightly off topic...reference your signature line, you seem like a man with discerning taste for motorcycles and this thread speaks to diversifying the capabilities of each. To that point, why have both a Thruxton and Scrambler, they also seem like pretty similar motos to me?

You got a motorcycle problem, man!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #27
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,269
Yep, that's da one...

Quote:
Southbay Triumph?
They're big time engine tuners, but have the experience to wrap their heads around offroad set ups I'm sure. I'm not a Triumph racer motor geek, but I've seen bikes in their shop taken to extremes for land speed records... no I'm sure very few things are beneath them.

It could be a very fun journey and certainly worthy of a build thread; " How I challenged my Tiger to overcome the Baja".
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I was just picturing myself looking over those horses in my stable. I noticed two things; you don't favor windscreens and I'd have some wifey problems too. *jealously*. I own a T800 as well and think it bridges the med-large adv bike segment pretty well. If I were to pick up another it would be an enduro, like a XR650, DRZ or KTM 690 kitted with rally raid products. Good luck, interested to see what you go with.

Quote:
I DO have a motorcycle problem! You are 100% correct and my wife would agree!!!

Yes, the scrambler as far as being built on the Bonnie platform is very similar. It's a scrambler and not a Cafe racer, however. But, it's funny you'd mention that bike because it is that very bike that's on the chopping block to be sold to get the KTM.

Cheers,
Rikki
Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I bought a T800xc cause I thought the 800cc size would win me over...best of both worlds being enough for the road, and not too much for off road. It is a great bike but ultimately a bit underwhelming...it is not enough on road ultimately and is still too heavy off road.
I bought a 1190 adv R and it is nuts on road and off. Totally different league to the T800xc....which is now for sale. The 1190 is too heavy off road, and too powerful, but it is so capable it is ridiculously fun. On road it is simply awesome.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #30
Rikki Rockett OP

I love all of my bikes for different reasons. Honestly, I ride my vintage bikes the least. Partly because of the lack of time that I have now with two kiddos. So, when I do ride, I need it to be a very positive experience or dutiful. (Point A to Point B). That being said, the Norton is my all time fav and always will be. We are spiritually connected. (LOL!) No intelligent reason. It just is me in so many ways. (Old, I guess!)

My BSA is not a motorcycle, it's a machine with wheels and it rides like one. Never dismiss it as being perfect, for it is not. Soul? Oh, for days!

Triumph Thruxton - My Hooligan bike. My Cafe bike. My paint experiment and my punched out motor experiment. I love her!!!

I am a serious Ducati fan and I love my Monster, but my Moto Guzzi Griso speaks louder to me these days. It is just flat out attitude, sporty, easy to ride and loud. Makes Harley guys go, "What the fuck was that???"

The Tiger. Easiest bike I have ever sat my ass on to ride. That tranny is butter and it is my choice for any hauls over 75 miles.

That leaves the gap for a more dirtier bike. Hence, you wonderful people have weighed in and I thank you so far!