Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
bump
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
wlm2048
japh

Oddometer: 32
Order or Store?

I'm going to be heading to WNC next weekend and would like to break in the new bike - should I order online, or just hit Black Dome to make sure I get them in time? I live in Durham, so delivery time is probably not an issue, I just want to make sure :)
wlm2048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

PM sent
Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 930
Interested

Just moved to the Raleigh area. Interested in the maps.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #20
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

pm sent
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Can these still be picked up at Black Dome?

I live near Asheville and am kinda a map junkie. I would love to pick up a couple of these and was just curious if they are still available at Black Dome. I am fairly new to dual sport riding and am looking for places to hone my skills so I like that your descriptions cover difficulty levels. If you have any suggestions for good rides that you don't have maps for I do not mind just exploring so if you want to throw them out there I would be all ears .

Thanks
Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #22
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Still available at Black Dome as well as the new BMW dealer in Asheville: Eurosport. Weekdays till 5:30 I'm usually at Black Dome and be glad to give some you some advice. Plus we now have a bar in the shop so you can have a local brew before or after a ride!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
WildtobeWreckage
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wicked This thread is gold

Thanks for putting these together. Moving to Lenoir this summer and looking to do some riding/camping. The Wilson Creek and Hot Springs maps look awesome, but are there any maps that cater to highway enduros (single track/FS roads)? Just want to know if I'll need to invest in another riding option to fully enjoy the area.
WildtobeWreckage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #24
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildtobeWreckage View Post
Thanks for putting these together. Moving to Lenoir this summer and looking to do some riding/camping. The Wilson Creek and Hot Springs maps look awesome, but are there any maps that cater to highway enduros (single track/FS roads)? Just want to know if I'll need to invest in another riding option to fully enjoy the area.
Most all of the six maps I have out so far have a section or two of moderately technical stuff on them, but in most cases I have an alternate route to bypass if you're not into that kind of terrain. With that said, I've done all the "technical" sections on the rides myself on either an R80g/s or an F800GS and I'm no hot shot rider by any means. I'd say if you've got good tires and it's not too muddy, you'd be fine on most any adventure/large dual sport bike. The Linville map is my personal favorite ride as it's got great views, a little moderately technical section, and a great place to eat at the beginning or end of the ride in Linville Falls.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #25
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Forest road closures

Just a quick update for the riding in our area..........Checked with the Forest Service last week and there are still a few road closures that affect the Dirty Dozen rides. Currently the Mt. Mitchell and Pisgah rides have some road closures on them that require significant detours. On the Mt Mitchell ride, FS63 (Stony Fork Rd.) is closed and will probably be closed most of the summer for repairs. The easiest detour would be to continue thru Barnardsville to hwy 19/23 south back to Asheville. On the Pisgah ride, FS5000 (Wash Creek Rd.) is currently closed and may also be closed most of the summer. The detour would be to stay on the Blue Ridge Parkway north to Asheville. There may be other road closures as well, but these are the ones I know of that affect the Dirty Dozen rides. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #26
outridingagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Hi John
I got the routes from you at the shop this past week. I plugged the GPS coordinates in but never really used them, the roll chart was pretty much spot on. Thanks for the work making a great route. I am including a video of us doing the 8-9 section 2up! (She is speaking to me again now) Look forward to coming back soon.

Thanks
Earl

2010 BMW R1200 GSA
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
outridingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #27
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=outridingagain;24190905]Hi John
I got the routes from you at the shop this past week. I plugged the GPS coordinates in but never really used them, the roll chart was pretty much spot on. Thanks for the work making a great route. I am including a video of us doing the 8-9 section 2up! (She is speaking to me again now) Look forward to coming back soon.

Thanks
Earl

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it! That Linville area is beautiful!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #28
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New map just added to the Dirty Dozen collection! This one is # 7 (woo hoo more that 1/2 way to the dozen). This map is an awesome tour of the eastern Smoky mountains area. It includes the legendary Hurricane Creek Rd., the Mt Sterling Rd., the Heintooga/Balsam Mtn. loop, and many more great paved and unpaved roads. Total length is about 99 miles and about 1/2 paved, 1/2 dirt. More info and ordering option at the bottom of the store page here:

http://www.wncdirtydozen.com/Store.php
Old 08-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #29
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttele View Post
Thanks for that, I've always admired your maps as well, but you guys didn't have anything for us east coasters.
Thanks. Following up with ya because we are about to release our 1st east coast regional map. It' more of a street map compared to your dirt map but combined will make for a great dual sport ride. Glad to see you are still moving forward with new segments!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #30
jttele OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, just ordered one of your new maps of our area a few days ago. Looking forward to checking it out! ☺ Are they shipping out yet?