Oddometer: 771
1) Despres or DNF
2) Sunderland
3) Chaleco
4) Barreda
5) Goncalves
6) Faria
7) Rodriguez
8) Coma engine drama in the latter stages (harsh on bike)
9) Pain
10) Verhoeven

Quads

1) Seb Husseini

What the heck it's just a guess, and I guess it's going to be tight.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #1307
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
http://motorsportrants.com/featured/drakkar-2014/

Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #1308
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
http://solooffroad.com/3/1388571009/...ie-me-da-miedo

This year Cyril Despres left with which KTM has earned five bronze Tuaregs in Dakar for a Yamaha , in a move that has been described as the intention to re- green the laurels won in Stéphane Peterhansel's time. A great challenge.

SM : With five victories in the Dakar, did you need a change to remain motivated?
CD: The easiest thing for me would have been to stay in KTM, but the change in brand was a challenge , also a motivation , because staying in the same place [long term], one does not advance .

SM : How did the agreement [happen] with Yamaha .
CD: I went one day Paris, Yamaha Motor France, and I noticed right away; In every corner of the office are photos of Jean -Claude Olivier (former CEO of YMF, N. R.) and Stéphane Peterhansel. [They really have the rally feeling]. I found that I'll be surrounded at the Dakar by people who have the same passion as me.

SM : And the question immediately rises: will you be able to win with a different bike than you had for your five previous Dakars?
CD: Yes , this is one of the [doubts]. The question. And I 'm looking forward to prove right away that I can continue to win after changing bike.

SM : As for previous editions, [haven't participated in] many rallies this year. Do you think that you will be able to compete equally at the start?
CD: I'm a rider that I always like to take care of all the details and would like to have everything under control, because I never feel [100%] on that. But I follow the method that I know works for me. We have done many tests and maybe, I haven't accumulated many days of racing with Yamaha yet, but that's not a problem , I can prove it in January.

SM : With one more victory, you'll match Peterhansel's record ...
CD : I have to stay calm. It's hard to say I'm favorite to win in the current conditions , because everything is new. I do not want to disappoint anyone or myself. But I'm confident and I think I can do well.

SM : With Yamaha ... Are you ready to beat the KTM and Honda?
CD: because our competition have developed a new bike, it becomes difficult to know what can happen. We do not have enough information. But our bike is very powerful and it showed its efficiency level early last Dakar. What I like the most is that it's acceleration is linear. It is smaller and more compact than the previous model, which makes it much more enjoyable to drive.

SM : Your [competition] has grown. It's not only Marc Coma ...
CD: Right. But if we compare Dakar with cycling, many riders focus for the Tour de France , the World Cup or certain very specific races. It's what happens with me and the Dakar. And after years, we are not so many who have shown regularly. I believe that one of my good points is experience. I don't fight with others, they progress, they go fast, but they do not give me no hint of fear.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #1309
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They fear crowds will leave trash and scare off flamingos, and leave deep marks on the shiny white surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
That's a rather dumb and superficial reason.

Mali's jihad terrorist at least had some strong convictions.
Having spent time in Mexico, I see how visitors trash the areas they visit. I wouldn't consider this an outrageous concern. It seems they know thy neighbor.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #1310
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Dakar 2014: Programa previa 'Rally Dakar'

23:22 Sigue el programa que aborda toda la actualidad de la etapa del día en el mítico rally Dakar 2014.

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/rally-dakar/directo/
Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #1311
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #1312
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933

love the "danger" hat. (from @JavierPizzolito twitter)
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #1313
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Pre-Event/lead up Dakar 2014 thread (moto & quad)!!!!

With specific reference to the 2 marathon stages and my perception ( right or wrong) both stages will be very very hard on motors can the f5 knights advise on following queries:

1. Do the factory bikes have some kind of 'depower' switch to materially reduce power and thus mechanical wear and tear in the marathon stages (like a preservation switch I guess)

2. Do the 450s have any temporary mechanical special characteristics fitted that will get them through the M stages at all? Or mainly electronic retardation ?

3. What happens on a marathon stage if a motor goes caput? Time penalty if replaced or are you out of the race entirely ?

4. Finally how will the m stages be raced - ultra conservatively given the 'apparent' high risk of engine failure?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #1314
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Manual is on a mission.........

Helping cyril with his shoestring?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #1315
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Manual is on a mission.........

Helping cyril with his shoestring?

Is that rear fender/light off a 1970s Yamaha?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #1316
Phil_Ammendolia
No Guz No Glory

Oddometer: 163
Dig the custom hand warmers on Javier's Honda.

Phil_Ammendolia screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 06:43 PM Reason: Don't think about editing it... ;)
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #1317
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Dig the custom hand warmers on Javier's Honda.

We're stoked to have him in an LS2.

That's an old picture. That bike is a gen 1.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #1318
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
With specific reference to the 2 marathon stages and my perception ( right or wrong) both stages will be very very hard on motors can the f5 knights advise on following queries:

1. Do the factory bikes have some kind of 'depower' switch to materially reduce power and thus mechanical wear and tear in the marathon stages (like a preservation switch I guess)

2. Do the 450s have any temporary mechanical special characteristics fitted that will get them through the M stages at all? Or mainly electronic retardation ?

3. What happens on a marathon stage if a motor goes caput? Time penalty if replaced or are you out of the race entirely ?

4. Finally how will the m stages be raced - ultra conservatively given the 'apparent' high risk of engine failure?
I'm no F5 knight but here is my view:
1) Dont know, but I doubt it very much.

2) Again its been alluded to that Honda have something on their bikes. I think its all down to rider control and easing back on the throttle a bit to allow the bikes to "rest", an oil top up and air filter change at the end of the day and that's that. What should be happening is that the riders have to put their bikes straight into parque ferme at the end of the marathon stage, and are only allowed access to their bikes 10 minutes before their start times on the next day, but last year we saw guys working on their bikes in the marathon bivouac as if they were malle moto guys.

3) The way I understand it should work is that it is game over, but if they have a water carrier they could technically do an engine swap putting out the water carrier, but with the usual engine swap penalties. That's what happened on last years marathon stage with Cyril, remember? I think its not good sportsmanship, but what I think makes not difference really

4) I think most will go for full gas all the time except on the marathon days where they will go fast but not keep it pinned for longer than 15 minutes at a time. I also think they will do an engine swap before the 2nd marathon. Some teams have v. good diagnostics and will make the decision at the end of each day.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #1319
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Tribute stickers to Kurt ...

[Quote=640Armageddon
Tribute stickers to Kurt ...[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Sadly missed

This is why KTM is going to win. They will win for Kurt.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #1320
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Jordiviladoms via Twitter:

The details are important....I like my name on the motor like this!

Kevin Muggleton:

Slow through tech, rewiring a GPS wire to replace a failed one

Hmmm thata bit weird I thought he was #186 but he has #184 on his jacket in this pic???? Anyone know whats going on?
Closed Thread