Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #1081
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
FTB... I really like your idea of using the R3 for important personal items when traveling, keeping thing dry and making it easy to keep those items with you at all times (even when off the bike). I have never really liked the idea of a waist pack, but the R3 is super comfortable so I think I will try it as I have an R3 that has never been used.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #1082
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I trailride with the Kriega Hydro3 and the R8 waist pack. I'm 5'11 and around 200lbs without riding gear. I find this combo works pretty darn good even for aggressive trailriding. I won't lie, you can notice the R8 for sure, but I don't find it to be a problem at all. I run it at the back and it clears the Hydro3 well enough that there's no binding. When riding this setup doesn't impede me at all, but I do have to tighten the R8 up a few times a ride. Its by far the most comfy setup I've run in 10 years of riding. I've got a crappy zoomed in picture That I'll upload of the setup.

I really prefer having the R8 with my tools in it lower on my body. Having the tools plus 3L of water on my back seems a lot more draining when you get tired at the end of the day. Shifting the tool weight at waistline is a better setup for me.

Funny thing is, I'm also an insulin dependent Diabetic (since I was 4yo) and the R8 has that nice water/dust proof pouch in it for my glucometer & Insulin.. I've tested it a few times in water too.. held up great!

I'd recommend Kriega gear to anyone.
SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #1083
SirJono_777
Adventurer

The pic isn't great but you can see the basic setup. I have a Klim Stow Away rain jacket attached to the back of the Hydro3 in this pic.. If it looks confusing.

'82 Suzuki DR250 - dead
Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #1084
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Hydro3 + R8 works well for me.
Even better since I moved the tools from the bum bag to the bike.

For longer day rides, I would only add a US5 to the backpack to keep spare clothes in.

Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #1085
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
FTB... I really like your idea of using the R3 for important personal items when traveling, keeping thing dry and making it easy to keep those items with you at all times (even when off the bike). I have never really liked the idea of a waist pack, but the R3 is super comfortable so I think I will try it as I have an R3 that has never been used.

Traveltoad - That's where the R3 has found a perfect niche in my kit. I don't use it on day rides but when traveling it shines. On the bike it travels with the pack in the rear, when crossing borders the adjustment strap on the side is easily loosened to allow the pack to be swung around front for easy access to its contents for all the immigration and custom officials and the required paperwork and documentation.

When traveling about cities off the bike it travels in front so I can keep an eye on it. I have $5,000 US currency stashed for emergency's (helicopter evac, bribes for bad accidents, etc.) and some countries I'm in can be problematic so like to make theft a bit more difficult. I reckon when traveling in Baja like you do it would work really well.

R3 in about town mode.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #1086
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Hydro3 + R8 works well for me.
Even better since I moved the tools from the bum bag to the bike.

For longer day rides, I would only add a US5 to the backpack to keep spare clothes in.

Sir Jono and Balken Boy make the R8 look like my R3 in regards to size, haha. Even the large R8 looks minimal on you guys.

Sir Jono good to see another type 1 diabetic out enjoying life as it should. When I was diagnosed (aged 12) the medical experts frowned on my scuba diving, rock climbing etc saying it was too dangerous for diabetics. Luckily I learned how to handle the disease with my lifestyle and enjoy life. I talk to newly diagnosed diabetics often and am happy to see the medical field progressing and learning to help diabetics live a full life they enjoy.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #1087
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Traveltoad - That's where the R3 has found a perfect niche in my kit. I don't use it on day rides but when traveling it shines. On the bike it travels with the pack in the rear, when crossing borders the adjustment strap on the side is easily loosened to allow the pack to be swung around front for easy access to its contents for all the immigration and custom officials and the required paperwork and documentation.

When traveling about cities off the bike it travels in front so I can keep an eye on it. I have $5,000 US currency stashed for emergency's (helicopter evac, bribes for bad accidents, etc.) and some countries I'm in can be problematic so like to make theft a bit more difficult. I reckon when traveling in Baja like you do it would work really well.

R3 in about town mode.

There's a story to go with that pic...
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #1088
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Sir Jono and Balken Boy make the R8 look like my R3 in regards to size, haha. Even the large R8 looks minimal on you guys.

Sir Jono good to see another type 1 diabetic out enjoying life as it should. When I was diagnosed (aged 12) the medical experts frowned on my scuba diving, rock climbing etc saying it was too dangerous for diabetics. Luckily I learned how to handle the disease with my lifestyle and enjoy life. I talk to newly diagnosed diabetics often and am happy to see the medical field progressing and learning to help diabetics live a full life they enjoy.
I hear ya. After I had a couple of hospitalizations as a youngster at school my parents got pretty protective (understandably) and I missed out on a lot of things growing up. Since then I have been making up for it and doing whatever I want and managing my levels just fine. it just takes a bit of extra planning and redundancy of my medical supplies. My job takes me around Australia filming in remote locations, on boats usually, and I have no issues and don't let it stop me.

You're a great advocate for living with Diabetes and its great that you take the chance to talk to newly diagnosed diabetics. I actually think I had it easy at 4 years old. I didn't have to change my lifestyle much as I was a kid.. It would be so much harder for those in their teens or adulthood.

Anyway... Kriega rocks Thanks for sharing FTB. Keep on riding
Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #1089
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
There's a story to go with that pic...
....much, much more than a story 555. Even better was something I stumbled into another evening on the trip.

You know living that hard core, roughing it, living on sweat, bullets, maggots, and the occasional goodie ;) , adventure riding lifestyle.

Ok back to Kriega stuff in action.

The R15 taking a break in a village that was earning its living based on illegal logging. Sitting behind a bottle of homemade rice whiskey.

Lets just say it's not as smooth as a nice single malt.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #1090
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Looking into a R15 or R20 or R25. Not sure what I should get.

The Pack will be used for Bladder and my Liners. I need to be able to put 2 top, 2 bottom Revit liners plus under armor cold gear in the bag. A few other little items may go in there but really this is just for the liners so I don't have to go in to the Giantloop any more. Might carry water from time to time. I use a stuff sac for the liners so I can get them kinda small. What bag should I get. I'm 6,2/ 6,3 by the way.
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #1091
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
PiggyBacking a US10 onto a US20

I've got a US10 and want to add a US20 and hook them together, for camping and longer rides.

Do I also need to order any extra straps to hook the 2 together?? And if so, what do I need??

thanks,
Old 12-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #1092
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
I've got a US10 and want to add a US20 and hook them together, for camping and longer rides.

Do I also need to order any extra straps to hook the 2 together?? And if so, what do I need??

thanks,
If you've got a post 2012 US-10, that is, with the hook straps. Then you do not need anything in addition to connect to the top of a newer US-20.

However, if you have an older US-10 model, that did not use hook straps then you would need those to mount it to a newer US-20.

The newer US-20 does not have the D-rings to run straps through as the older ones did.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #1093
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
FTB,
You mentioned you'd like a waist bag larger then R3 but less bulky then R8. How about R11? Although, it may not work with a backpack.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kriega-Mot...item3a891267e5
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #1094
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
US-20 on tank?

Im planning on going around Lake Superior this spring/ summer and would like some more storage options. I have a 2006 Ninja 650R and use the Kriega US-30 and a US-10 currently for the bike but I want to get the US-30 combo (1 US-20 and 1 US-10) so Ill have 70 liters of storage total on the bike. Id use the US-30 on the rear along with the two US-10 bags on either side. My plan is to use the US-20 on the tank but Im concerned that it might be too big and will affect turning and controlling the bike. Does anyone have a US-20 mounted to the tank? Any issues with the bag hitting the handle bars or controls?
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #1095
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Got my new Overlander 30 in for a Christmas present for myself. Go my gear loaded into it and all installed on my bike. This is on my KTM 690. I almost bought other bags with a rear rack, but I'm glad I decided to keep it light weight and go with the 30's. I also have a US 20, a 10 and a 5 for a tool bag.

I love buying good, well made and thought out gear, and the Kreiga is about as good as it gets.

Also, the rack loops instructions clearly say to use a little thread locker to keep them on, they even supply a bottle of it with your order. But I didnt use it because I wasn't sure if my mounts were in their permanant mounts. So, I lost one of the bolts and a plastic washer, rendering it inoperatable. So, I get on the Kreiga USA site, leave a message for Mike and withing 2 hours I get a response with him telling me he would send me out a couple in the mail.

Now, not only do you get a quality product, but how can you beat that kind of service???

Thanks Mike