ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #916
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTF View Post
Just got the Alaska map and book. Pretty neat. Found routes I've never heard of before. Definitely a quality looking map. Just a shame Alaska doesn't have a whole mess of roads going all over the state.
Sweet. We figured some from AK would know all the roads already.
Those guys at Motoquest know their stuff.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #917
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.
 
DustyPockets's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Mahomet, Illinois
Oddometer: 56
My Ozark map arrived today. Nice piece of work! Pinned to the shop wall awaiting spring.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #918
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer
 
AugustFalcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Waterford, Connecticut U.S.A.
Oddometer: 1,005
Trip planning question: this summer I hope to spend about three months or more on the road camping and riding lots of the great roads on the Butler Maps starting with the Ozarks and continuing westward. The route and the roads ridden will vary as the spirit, weather, and finances dictate. I intend to supplement the maps with a gps, and therein lies my problem.

How encode the waypoints given for the start and end of the G1 type road segments so they make some sense in the list that shows up on the GPS.

My present GPS allows waypoints to have names up to ten characters when created but only displays eight characters when building a route on the device!

My initial thoughts were to use the first two letters of the map name followed by two numerals identifying the ride block, e.g., OZ10 for those G1. roads in block 10 of the Ozark Map. Inside that block are at least 10 G1 rides each having at least two waypoints. Occasionally, the end-point of one segment will be the beginning point of another.

Any and all ideas welcome ...:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
__________________
cheers... jack

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing


SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #919
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post
My Ozark map arrived today. Nice piece of work! Pinned to the shop wall awaiting spring.
sweet
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #920
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Trip planning question: this summer I hope to spend about three months or more on the road camping and riding lots of the great roads on the Butler Maps starting with the Ozarks and continuing westward. The route and the roads ridden will vary as the spirit, weather, and finances dictate. I intend to supplement the maps with a gps, and therein lies my problem.

How encode the waypoints given for the start and end of the G1 type road segments so they make some sense in the list that shows up on the GPS.

My present GPS allows waypoints to have names up to ten characters when created but only displays eight characters when building a route on the device!

My initial thoughts were to use the first two letters of the map name followed by two numerals identifying the ride block, e.g., OZ10 for those G1. roads in block 10 of the Ozark Map. Inside that block are at least 10 G1 rides each having at least two waypoints. Occasionally, the end-point of one segment will be the beginning point of another.

Any and all ideas welcome ...:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
3 ideas:

-call it 1-start, 1-end, 2-start, 2-end and so on. name it by the order you will ride the roads. update each night. paved roads are often signed well enough too as you will be connecting G2 and G3 roads. use your GPS to verify road names.

-bring Benchmark Atlas Maps (those are our basemaps) for each state if you have space. if space is limited bring only Cali and AR as those 2 states have alot of road density.

-bring a Windows 8 Pro tablet with you and load Basecamp or Mapsource (you then need the maps on the tablet too) and each night route out the next days ride. I use a 9" Dell netbook on tour.

have fun!
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #921
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
The movie premier for the AZBDR is nearly here!

Join us for the screening of the Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route Sat Feb 8th at 11:00 a.m., followed by a Q&A session and a FREE lunch!

Go AZ Motorcycles
15500 N. Hayden Rd., Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
http://www.goaz.com/eventslist.htm?g...&itemid=191223



__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #922
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer
 
AugustFalcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Waterford, Connecticut U.S.A.
Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
3 ideas:

-call it 1-start, 1-end, 2-start, 2-end and so on. name it by the order you will ride the roads. update each night. paved roads are often signed well enough too as you will be connecting G2 and G3 roads. use your GPS to verify road names.

-bring Benchmark Atlas Maps (those are our basemaps) for each state if you have space. if space is limited bring only Cali and AR as those 2 states have alot of road density.

-bring a Windows 8 Pro tablet with you and load Basecamp or Mapsource (you then need the maps on the tablet too) and each night route out the next days ride. I use a 9" Dell netbook on tour.

have fun!
Thanks for the suggestions eakins : I may bring some Benchmark Atlas maps. Was thinking about either a Macbook Air or a cheap windows tablet with a keyboard but money is tight so the during trip planning might be limited to using my phone, my gps, physical maps, and pen and paper.

It would be nice if you guys added some lat/long grid or ticks to your maps. That would really increase their utility. I will probably do that myself before I leave on the first trip.

Before I leave on the second leg I will be buying some of your dirt/dual-sport maps/trips.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
__________________
cheers... jack

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing


SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #923
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,881
Received my Colorado Map AND book Bill ! Thanks a million my friend. We will use it to build a super Colorado based route for this year.
Keep up the good work.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #924
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
AZBDR tracks and map are posted
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/AZBDR

ADV Pulse wrote a sweet article on it.
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-rides/ar...oute-complete/

__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 11:55 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #925
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WYO George's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Rolling Hills,WY
Oddometer: 387
Looks good! Which state is next? (the answer should be Wyoming)
__________________
My lame, but photo intense day trips around Wyoming can be found here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960272
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #926
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstanfield View Post
Looks good! Which state is next? (the answer should be Wyoming)
my signature should be a give away.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #927
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
Final checking the printer's proof of our latest map,
Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route.

__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #928
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Received my Colorado Map AND book Bill ! Thanks a million my friend. We will use it to build a super Colorado based route for this year.
Keep up the good work.
Sweet! Enjoy the planning Frank.
Let me know if you'll be out my way at all.

Don't forget to consult a Benchmark Colorado Atlas (our basemaps) for the fine details if needed.
If you're going to do alot of additional dirt time, Charles Well's & Peter Massey's book also dial you in too. Depending on the location in the state, Lattitude 40 maps are the bomb for detail.
We can only cover so much detail on our scale of maps.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #929
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Sweet! Enjoy the planning Frank.
Let me know if you'll be out my way at all.

Don't forget to consult a Benchmark Colorado Atlas (our basemaps) for the fine details if needed.
If you're going to do alot of additional dirt time, Charles Well's & Peter Massey's book also dial you in too. Depending on the location in the state, Lattitude 40 maps are the bomb for detail.
We can only cover so much detail on our scale of maps.

Ok Bill, will do, thanks so much !!


Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #930
eakins OP
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
heading to the printer on tuesday to grab my copy of the AZBDR
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 10:12 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014