User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 AM   #16
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Several days ago I installed a new drive chain, and new sprockets. Therefore, I took the opportunity to inspect my Spud Roller. Here is a view of my mounting hardware, and the port side of my single Spud Roller after 5,700 miles of total wear, and 600 miles of wear as the solo roller in my chain guide.

Here is a top view of my single Spud Roller after 5,700 miles of total wear, and 600 miles of wear as the solo roller in my chain guide.

When I installed my new drive chain, I switched from a 13T/45T sprocket combination to a 14T/48T sprocket combination. Since the larger rear sprocket has lowered the bottom of my drive chain, I am glad I switched to a single Spud Roller. The single, forward roller allows more clearance from the rear sprocket, and facilitates removal of the rear wheel, et cetera.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 03:09 AM
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 AM   #17
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The following photograph shows the clearance between the drive chain and a single Spud Roller when the rear wheel has a 45-tooth sprocket.

This photo shows the clearance between the drive chain and a single Spud Roller when the rear wheel has a 48-tooth sprocket.

As you can see, the 48-tooth rear sprocket significantly reduces the clearance between the drive chain and the chain roller. Therefore, I think it's best to use a single Spud Roller mounted in the front position of the chain guide when employing a 48T, or larger, rear sprocket.

The next photograph shows the clearance between the drive chain and a pair of Spud Rollers when the rear wheel has a 45-tooth rear sprocket.

I think a pair of Spud Rollers works best when a 45T sprocket is mounted on the rear wheel. Consequently, I am now offering the option to purchase either a single Spud Roller, or a pair of Spud Rollers.

The cost of a single Spud Roller is $7.50, delivered. Each additional Spud Roller will cost $5.50. If you are interested in buying one or more of my Spud Rollers, please send me a personal message, and we can arrange for payment. I accept either personal checks, or payment via my PayPal account.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 10:55 PM
Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,403
I like this setup ,

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
I like this setup ,
Thank you, Marko.

I'm pleased to report my single Spud Roller is performing very well in my chain guide. Here is a photograph of the port side of my Spud Roller after 7,200 miles of total wear, and 2,100 miles of solo wear in my chain guide.

Here is a photo of the top view of my Spud Roller after 7,200 miles of total wear, and 2,100 miles of solo wear in my chain guide.

Chain rollers offer several advantages over chain sliders.

1) The open, bottom end of the chain guide collects less dirt and mud with a chain roller, rather than a chain slider, installed.

2) The rotating chain roller induces less friction on the drive chain than a chain slider.

3) My Spud Rollers are less expensive than the OEM chain slider.

4) My Spud Rollers appear to wear longer than the OEM chain slider, especially in dirty, or muddy environments.

5) A chain roller is easier to inspect for wear, and therefore requires less maintenance than the OEM chain slider.

To be fair, a possible disadvantage of chain rollers is they produce more noise than the OEM chain slider. However, as my Spud Roller "breaks in" after 7,200 miles of use, I'm pleased to report it is becoming much quieter. If you are interested in purchasing either a single Spud Roller, or a pair of Spud Rollers, please send me a personal message.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-24-2011 at 11:20 PM
Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,081
I just got back from riding the continental divide. About 2500 miles. I installed 1 roller just before I left. At about the 2,000 mile mark it was worn into the bolt. I threw it away and put the other one on. The second one is wearing on the out side. The inside is worn enough that it rattles up and down and makes a horrible racket when riding. I greased the first one and didn't grease the second one.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #21
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
I just got back from riding the continental divide. About 2500 miles. I installed 1 roller just before I left. At about the 2,000 mile mark it was worn into the bolt. I threw it away and put the other one on. The second one is wearing on the out side. The inside is worn enough that it rattles up and down and makes a horrible racket when riding. I greased the first one and didn't grease the second one.
I'm sorry to hear that, Rufus. Thank you reporting your problem. If I may ask, do you have a 45T rear sprocket, or a larger rear sprocket? Did you use a 5/16-inch bolt, or a 3/8-inch bolt? Also, did you keep the OEM "chain slipper" behind the countershaft sprocket, or did you install a sealed bearing roller in that position?

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 12:38 AM
Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #22
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, Rufus. Thank you reporting your problem. If I may ask, do you have a 45T rear sprocket, or a larger rear sprocket? Did you use a 5/16-inch bolt, or a 3/8-inch bolt? Also, did you keep the OEM "chain slipper" behind the countershaft sprocket, or did you install a sealed bearing roller in that position?

Spud

48 rear, 5/16th bolt, nothing else changed.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #23
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
48 rear, 5/16th bolt, nothing else changed.
Thank you for providing this additional information, Rufus. My Spud Rollers have worn very little over thousands of miles, but I now suspect my initial success was highly dependent upon replacing the OEM "chain slipper" with a sealed bearing roller. I recently experimented by moving my single Spud roller to a higher location, and the wear was greatly accelerated by the much higher, constant, downward pressure of the drive chain upon the roller. In my experience, my Spud Rollers are much more resistant to chain impacts than the commercial chain rollers I had previously employed. Therefore, my polyurethane rollers have worn very well for me when they were placed in the OEM bolt holes, and positioned lower beneath the drive chain.

I replaced my OEM "chain slipper" with a commercial, sealed bearing, chain roller, and it has worn very little. Therefore, this "chain slipper" roller has preserved the initial chain placement very well, and undoubtedly contributes significantly to the durability of my Spud Rollers. Here is a photograph of my commercial, "chain slipper" roller after 16,500 miles of wear.

If I may ask, is your OEM, chain slipper worn down significantly? If so, the resulting, lower chain height might have adversely affected wear on the Spud Roller, much the same as when I raised the position of my single Spud Roller.

If you wish to keep the OEM "chain slipper," you might wish to experiment with a single, commercial, sealed bearing roller in the same position where you had the Spud Roller installed. The commercial, sealed bearing roller might be more resistant to constant pressure, but it will be less resistant to chain impacts than my Spud Rollers. Of course, since you only slightly enlarged the front mounting hole in the chain guide, you can always revert to the OEM, chain guide slipper.

However, if you decide to replace the OEM "chain slipper" with a commercial, sealed bearing roller, as I did, I will be happy to send you another pair of Spud Rollers, free of charge, so you can test them, and report back whether or not the "chain slipper" roller solved the problem of accelerated wear on the Spud Roller. To duplicate my successful, R&D testing, I also suggest you don't apply grease to the Spud Roller.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 01:11 PM
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #24
rufus

The slipper has some wear, but it is not in bad shape.

Thanks for them offer but I am going back to stock and putting the bike up for sale.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #25
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Although my Spud Rollers wore like iron, I have stopped selling them. In fact, I have even stopped using them myself. I discovered the impact from the drive chain was causing the roller bolts to fracture the plastic chain guide. Therefore, I have removed the Spud Rollers from my chain guide. In fact, I haven't even replaced the chain guide slider. I have left the bottom of the chain guide open. Since I am not taxing the bike's suspension anywhere near its limits, I haven't had any problems result from opening the bottom of the chain guide.

Therefore, my experiment with chain rollers is complete. If I ever decide to once again enclose the bottom of the chain guide, I will revert back to the stock, chain guide slider. I have sent a personal message to this forum's moderator asking him to close this thread. I wish to thank everyone who purchased my Spud Rollers, and I wish you all ride nothing but happy trails.

Spud
Closed Thread