ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #811
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893
I've been home for about an hour & I just warmed up!!

Abhulgan and I rode all thru Chilhowee Mtn and hopped thru trail 81 & thru more and more dirt roads. We were in rain while still hitting the dirt and all the way home, we passed by the subway about 2 or 3 ish
~ twisty glad you and the wife made it safe & good to see y'all again!
~ nice to meet papa joe, sorry it was a short meeting

Sad I didn't get to say hi to everyone! But glad everyone got back!
& I got photos!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #812
Doulos
Doulos

Oddometer: 73
Cohutta with Blue

Twisty - we hit the rain - at just the right time. We did a "go-at-your-own-pace" on a great stretch of road - it was so much fun we did it twice! I hung with two guys - literally shoulder to shoulder - it was a blast! One guy - Michael was obviously a motorcross racer back in the day - throwing his leg straight past his front tire - looking for a berm on every turn. He played with me and the other guy. I ate a lot of rooster gravel from the other guy - but loved every minute of it! I could feel my skills growing by every turn!

Then the rain came - and we all called it quits. That was when I learned that our sweep rider was named "Papa Joe". Michael - his son - who seemed to be my age - told me that Papa Joe was 78 years old!! Wow. Now that is a man!

Steve and I rode the southern route home. In lieu of a rain jacket I pulled a bud light box out of the trash can at the BP in Eton. Using my straps from my back pack I created a cardboard chest plate. Worked like a charm! Steve suggested I seek sponsorship from Budweiser...

Short, cold and wet - but overall a good day of riding!

On another note - I am shopping for a mountain bike - to help me get in shape and sharpen my dirt riding skills. Anyone know of a good deal? I'm 5'8 and looking to spend in the neighborhood of $500...
Doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #813
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulos View Post
Steve and I rode the southern route home. In lieu of a rain jacket I pulled a bud light box out of the trash can at the BP in Eton. Using my straps from my back pack I created a cardboard chest plate. Worked like a charm! Steve suggested I seek sponsorship from Budweiser...
Did Steve get a picture? I would love to see that and pictures might help with your sponsorship.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #814
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
& I got photos!!!
Let's see them.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #815
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 188
If it had not of been raining so hard, I would of snapped a pic. Come to think of it, every time I ride with Doulos I need to bring the camera as every ride is an adventure with this guy.

At first I thought he was joking when he ripped apart the Budlight package. I soon found myself helping to secure it to him with his backpack straps.

Artist rendering below:
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #816
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I am in the process of buying a house in Bradley Co. not too far from Big Frog. If I end up with a dual sport I'll have to come out and check out the Bud Light armor. Sounds very economical. It would be a lot easier if the licensing office had transferred the motorcycle endorsement from KY to my TN license in January. Oh, well. I should have have checked it more thoroughly.
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #817
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Greetings everyone. I met SquirrlyGirl at Mojo Burrito one day last Spring. Tried to pull together a ride but never got it rolling.

This past year I sacrificed too much family time and too much me time for the sake of my job. I've been chained to my Google Calendar but this year I'm putting rallys (March Madness), rides and campouts on there as a priority.

So I hope to see y'all out there. Saturday sounds like a good time.

Youngblood

Ps. Looking to sell a 990S w6k miles and all the farkles; wanting a KTM 690 enduro.

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #818
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Greetings everyone. I met SquirrlyGirl at Mojo Burrito one day last Spring. Tried to pull together a ride but never got it rolling.

This past year I sacrificed too much family time and too much me time for the sake of my job. I've been chained to my Google Calendar but this year I'm putting rallys (March Madness), rides and campouts on there as a priority.

So I hope to see y'all out there. Saturday sounds like a good time.

Youngblood

Ps. Looking to sell a 990S w6k miles and all the farkles; wanting a KTM 690 enduro.
Have you had a chance to break in that new supersized pumpkin? Check your PMs.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #819
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm struggling to break her in with the weather and lack of heated farkles. Did 70mi yesterday and even got pulled over by the LMPD! Woohoo! I'm glad I'm a resident and got off with a warning to take her easy. Yes this bike makes you want to wheelie in front of officers and then leave them in your mirror. I think the smile on my face that wasn't avoidable didn't hurt.

640 miles can't come quick enough. Not to mention my heated grips, bar riser, bashplate, headlight protector, taller seat. Sheesh. I thought I spent a load at the dealer! I'm going to keep it on the road until I can get some tires. Til then it is ye olde 990, which I'll ride on Saturday.

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
Old 01-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #820
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TBA #1001
Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #821
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Gonna head out tomorrow on a big bike ride with Youngblood. I'm thinking the usual meetup spot (BP gas station on the corner of Ooltewah Ringgold rd & East Brainerd rd)with kickstands up at noon. It should up to freezing by then. Anybody else?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 01-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #822
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Gonna head out tomorrow on a big bike ride with Youngblood. I'm thinking the usual meetup spot (BP gas station on the corner of Ooltewah Ringgold rd & East Brainerd rd)with kickstands up at noon. It should up to freezing by then. Anybody else?
Damn, I would but I've got the Tenere torn apart doing the 26k valve check. I started it this evening and plan to finish it up tomorrow. There is no way I could get it put back together in the morning unless I stayed up late tonight, and that ain't happening. Y'all have fun, and remember, safety third.
TBA #1001
Old 01-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #823
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Def riding the 990 and bringing extra fuses for the heated grips! I rode the 1190 up the mountain (3mi) around 5pm tonight and almost had to pull over as my hands were frozen! That hurts!

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #824
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Meetup time has been pushed back to 12:15 ish.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #825
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Today there were 3 of us, Jim (whose username I can't remember 'cause he never posts), Youngblood, and yours truly. We headed east on the back roads to Cisco and quickly were in the woods.

Youngblood's hands were so cold he used the wrong finger for this pose.

Preparing to do battle with the dusty/muddy conditions.
We rode up FS221 past the Sylco campground and took the shortcut over to FS302. Unfortuntely, this fine stretch of jeep road is now a (fist sized gravel)mess due to the recent logging they've been doing.

We came upon this pickup in the middle of the road and were wondering what the ...?
Looking the other way explained the situation better.

The logger had us through there in less than a minute.
Shortly thereafter, we popped out onto FS302 and Youngblood proceeded to bury Jim and I in a cloud of dust. At one point I had to back off after losing the front on a patch of ice and barely saving it with the left foot. We ended up doing 30 miles of dirt/gravel and nobody crashed. All in all a great day to be out riding. Looking forward to the next one... and seeing Youngblood's new 1190R.