User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #91
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 961
Noob here

Ok this looks like an interesting app. I am going to try a few rally's this year and was thinking of getting the trip master for my speedo on my KTM 500. But this looks like a much better solution, I am assuming they will do the same thing but yours is bigger and better lol. I have an iPhone 5 and an otter box case that's water proof (bit of a clutz) also a blue tooth device for volume control. So noob question here is this better then the trip master switch and should just get a ram mount for my phone.
Thanks

Sandblast will be my first road book style rally.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #92
uglybassplayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Please please make it compatible with the old 3G, I have my first road book rally/event this year and have managed to find a manual road book holder so just need a trip and I'm all set without having to remortgage to the house!
uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #93
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Speed, yes please!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #94
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Well, I bought the app. Not because I'm ever going to ride a rally, but because I think it's cool. I plan to add a iPhone roadbook app to the phone as well. Then on the iPad the editor for the roadbook. This would make it so I don't have to own a GPS, other than the phone.
I know it won't help with locked gates and the like, but I can improvise.
I rode a lot of years with paper maps and by guess and by golly navigating. Not like I'm racing I plan to mostly explore.
Found a remote as well. That will be very useful on my bike. I use noise cancelling earplugs to listen to music and podcasts, it would be nice to be able to stop the music when some guy on a chopper is asking me if my bike isn't really too tall.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #95
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybassplayer View Post
Yes I understand Apples not very subtle encouragement to upgrade to the latest version! Unfortunately I cannot afford to keep up, my latest phone is only a 3GS and I expect that to be obsolete soon.

If you could change the app to e compatible with the 3G you would have a certain purchase from me.
I have a 3g that is spare and only used as an ipod. I would be more interested in having this app on my 3g than my 4gs.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #96
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Tupperware, plexiglass, ram mount, and caulk for the road book, plus the old iPhone... ...in.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, hence the typos...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #97
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Been keeping an eye out for the iPhone mount.... Is it close?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #98
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,547
Hey without reading thru 7 pages of info.. Can one of your tell me if this app will work on the iPad as well?

Inquiring minds need to know? Thanks
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #99
Whatever Dood
No title available

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa View Post
Hey without reading thru 7 pages of info.. Can one of your tell me if this app will work on the iPad as well?

Inquiring minds need to know? Thanks
The app is targeted for the iPhone running iOS 6.x and up. I've never tried to install/test it on an iPad - I'd hate for you to purchase it and be unable to use it...
Whatever Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #100
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
So after running this app and doing some navigation training I can say it is really good. The mileage is spot on, especially when running a mapbook created with Rally Navigator (since it uses GPS based mileage calculations also). The cap is spot on and is quicker to respond than a Garmin GPS. There was some detected magnetic interference from the bike at times but only when stopped. Overall pretty impressed. Now I just have to dial in a way to power the Iphone from the bike. Some of the cheap Chinese crap I bought didn't get it done.

On the Iphone 4 running os6 there is some color issues on the reset/zero screen (can't see the letters in the buttons till you touch them but I memorized it.
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #101
mex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
zero the app

hi there,

i have 3 little questions:

can i zero the display using general bluetooth controler switches with one touch, or do i have to press a button, as long as the km count down ?
so when i reached a figure on the roadbook, i zero the km (press the button) and continue riding.
i hope you understand my question?

when will the case be available?

when will your swicthes be available

thanks

mex
mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #102
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 887
Jimmy - Thanks for letting us know how it's working. Hopefully you are using it somewhat during your latest class. That same charger I told you about was able to recharge my iphone after being connected for 24 hours! I'm guessing 3A on the Amazon add really means 0.3 amps....

AntiPaul - What USB setup are you using? Where did you source it?

Mex -

1) Right now the zeroing is only available from the touch screen. You have to go the the edit screen to zero. However:
- we are testing a "swipe" to zero
- it is possible we could add a "hold" on the minus arrow and if it were held for 5 seconds it could reset. We could create this and test it if that is what you are looking for. I'm just afraid of random resets...nothing is more frustrating during and event than your odo going to zero...ask me how I know :)

2) There are two easy ways to solve the case situation.
- Email AntiPaul from here on ADV or email him on his website highwaydirtbikes.com. He has the crazy cool case shown a near the top of this page. I don't think it is an official production unit, but you may be able to work something out.
- The easy route --- buy an Otterbox, Lifecase or equivalent heavy duty case and mount it in the RAM X-Grip holder with a rubber band giving one of he grips and extra "squeeze". Yes, with this setup the USB power could be a source for water to get to the phone, but with a little ingenuity it will be waterproof unless you dunk it in a river.
- I don't know. I made a prototype bluetooth switch shown a few pages back that works perfectly, but I'm stumped trying to make it something that could be sold. I'm also working on a switch that will plug to the dock and power as well, but it is slow going. If anyone has some Arduino experience and would like to help, I'd readily accept the help. So you have 4 real choices:
A) No switch - adjust odo via vol buttons or touch
B) Hacked vol control - use headset plugged into 3.5mm jack and glue or double sided tape the stock switch next to your other odo switch (I used this for the Baja Rally and it worked perfectly)
C) Hacked bluetooth control - a few pages back I showed the bluetooth control I hacked with a lead to match the ICO (or other) switch. I potted the hack with silicone and it is not pretty, but works perfectly
D) Use handlbar mounted remote control. The volume controls on something like this remote will work perfectly to adjust the odo.

Sorry about the long answers....
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #103
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Step on it - I missed your post from a few weeks ago. I won't suggest what you should do, but I'll let you know that I conceived of this App after looking to get a new tripmaster and thought for my use that something more convenient, versatile and with bigger numbers would be better and safer for ME. I'm really pleased with the way it works.

One other thought. I've been using electronic odo devices since their dawn in the Enduro world many years ago. I seems that no matter how well the pickup and cable is protected that people continue to get failures...hence the reason many (most?) serious rally people run a redundant odo system. For amateurs, the iphone app at the least might provide a nice backup in case your official system goes bonkers. At the Baja Rally I needed a backup system and it was nice to have the iphone to fall back to. On day one I helped guide two riders who's ICO's had gone kaput and they had no backup...
Old 01-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #104
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
I seems that no matter how well the pickup and cable is protected that people continue to get failures...hence the reason many (most?) serious rally people run a redundant odo system.
First off, the iPhone app is cool for all the reasons that you mention! Nice work.

Not to hijack, but just a clarification from my experience. Most sensor failures are not due to the lack of protection per se, but rather incorrect routing and installation. People tend to use sharp bends, super tight zip-ties, and inadequate service loops. All of these cause fatigue and failure during normal operation. I have logged thousands of miles on a single sensor cable with no protection. And I've also seen lots of first-mile failures due to bad installation.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #105
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Dave,

You've mentioned that before and I think somewhere you've even posted a guide about how to do it correctly. To be honest, most of my exposure to failures is east coast and woods related where I've seen sensors get bonked, wires plucked, etc. But to your point, it's totally possible those failures would be avoidable if mounted correctly. My experience in rally conditions for the failure rate is so minor my opinion is pretty much irrelevant!

Regardless, the fast guys all seem to run multiple redundant systems. It just makes good sense when your finishing an event (and not getting stuck in the dark!) depends on it.

-Phil