Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #25966
HONKR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
I think it's appropriate to retell this classic...

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS
the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of a
canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the
curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those
big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling
and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch
him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering.
Three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing;
passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I
think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he
could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as
we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the
throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome,
but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the
last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him.
Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to
keep up.

Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me
for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched
out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more
than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he
passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for
that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road,
where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I
had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of
the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits
of britiron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled so hard
in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They
really make a great bicycle...
Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #25967
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post

Litter pickup outside of Robbinsville,NC on 143 aka Cherohala.
Idiots in a big hurry still try to run you over even with a orange triangle and flashing yellow light.
You really should be able to see the bloody thing! Yours took me a few looks to find, buried behind the boxes and all. . The tailgate might be a much better place to mount it.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #25968
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
You really should be able to see the bloody thing! Yours took me a few looks to find, buried behind the boxes and all. . The tailgate might be a much better place to mount it.
The litter bags were covering it in the photo. Normally they are not in the bed.
The triangle is too big for the tailgate.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #25969
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
Yes, farm vehicles do use the road but have to have a slow moving vehicle sign. Yes, it is legal for bicycles to ride two abreast. Is it safe? No. I ride bicycles but stick mainly to trails because the risk of getting hit by a car is to great. I guess its a case of weeding out the gene pool.
Here cyclists may ride 2 abreast but once outside urban area they must (mandatory) go single file when traffic approaches.
Used to work pretty well. Live and let live, you know. Give everyone his/her space; be human, that's special enough.

Alas, a new breed of cyclists has developed an alternate reaction: wait till the horn is hooted, look back with shock and indignation, yaw left and right to start a discussion who'll take the lead, finally yelling and bullying as the motorized unit passes by.
They are not popular. One does wonder why.

Clarification:
Twowheelers are a normal part of traffic here. Many of us use bicycles, scooters and motorcycles to commute. Recreational cycling however is fairly recent and mostly practiced by people without previous if any experience in commuting on two wheels. Could it be them carrying over their cager mindset?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #25970
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
Clearly, you're nicer than I am.
Well, that's not too difficult.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #25971
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
This is pretty much the picture around here, Narrow curvy roads with folks peddling along side by side at 10% the speed limit. Come up behind them and lo and behold, they are all deaf, or dumb because they rarely react to the sound of a engine coming up behind them. I think It's time these folks start carrying insurance for the accidents they cause.
My wife and I argue about this at least monthly over the summer.

She is a bicyclist, and takes part in quite a few charity rides (MS-150, etc) . We live in a semi rural area....farm land all around us, but only about 5 miles out of the city limits. Little traffic, and enough hills to make the area attractive for bicyclists to ride.

What chaps my ass, is when you get a group of em together, all dressed up in their Tour de France replica jerseys, riding 2 and 3 wide.....do they move over? Nope....

The wife is like "well, you can just be patient, and wait for an open space to pass them"......

"Dear.....I shouldn't HAVE to be fuckin patient....they need to get back in single file line, and let traffic by"

I will ALWAYS give plenty of room, as not only is my wife a bicyclist, but my daughter has raced BMX for 10+ years....I go out of my way to insure that I don't drive/ride in such a manner as to endanger bike riders. But God-DAMN.....it goes both ways !! Don't take up the whole damn lane with your bicycles, uncecessarily endangering yourselves, but motor vehicle traffic too ! ! !

[/done bitchin now]
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #25972
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
My wife and I argue about this at least monthly over the summer.

She is a bicyclist, and takes part in quite a few charity rides (MS-150, etc) . We live in a semi rural area....farm land all around us, but only about 5 miles out of the city limits. Little traffic, and enough hills to make the area attractive for bicyclists to ride.

What chaps my ass, is when you get a group of em together, all dressed up in their Tour de France replica jerseys, riding 2 and 3 wide.....do they move over? Nope....

The wife is like "well, you can just be patient, and wait for an open space to pass them"......

"Dear.....I shouldn't HAVE to be fuckin patient....they need to get back in single file line, and let traffic by"

I will ALWAYS give plenty of room, as not only is my wife a bicyclist, but my daughter has raced BMX for 10+ years....I go out of my way to insure that I don't drive/ride in such a manner as to endanger bike riders. But God-DAMN.....it goes both ways !! Don't take up the whole damn lane with your bicycles, uncecessarily endangering yourselves, but motor vehicle traffic too ! ! !

[/done bitchin now]
I've ridden moto safety for bicycle charity rides, and have had it with some of these cyclists. They have absolutely no regard for the law or other road users. Many irate drivers have stopped to tell me that they almost hit these idiots. It's for a good cause so I like to help, but I'm going to either take photos of these guys or give it up completely.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #25973
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,278
Common courtesy vs entitlement mentality.

Me, whether walking, Bicycling, riding moto, driving car or tractor, if someone is traveling faster then me I get out of the way, and happily let them by.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #25974
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
I ride bicycles but stick mainly to trails because the risk of getting hit by a car is to great. I guess its a case of weeding out the gene pool.
You dudes are hilarious with these points. Know what some Docs call MC pilots? Organ donors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
do they move over? Nope....

I go out of my way to insure that I don't drive/ride in such a manner as to endanger bike riders.
This first bit reminds me of a scene last Fall - riding out and around 129. Older dude and wife in dawdling sedan over taken by a rider in our group - may have even been double yellow. Now dude finds the throttle, furious with some Darwinian dna enlightenment can't subdue. Wifey is all up in his ear giving him counsel to cool it but he's pushing the limits of performance in pos. Fn dangerous assholian stuff. Often I find the women are smarter.

Second - as a cyclist of both motor and pedal I'm most appreciative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
They have absolutely no regard for the law or other road users.
Sounds like so many of the people on the road.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #25975
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Bicyclists

As a former long distance touring cyclist, I can see both sides of this argument BUT the cyclists are WRONG! I almost always rode as close to the white line on the right, thousands of miles. The only time I rode side by side was on country roads where you could see/hear cars coming and then you immediately go to single file. What also pisses me off are the cyclists that won't keep the bike in a straight line wobbling around in the lane or Lance Armstrong wannabees standing up climbing hills taking up most of the lane. You have to ride PREDICTABLE!

I'm in So. Illinois and we have had our share of bike/car problems for decades in Monroe Co. in an area called the Columbia Bottoms. Outside of Columbia there are hundreds of miles of flat as a pancake roads that are very popular for club and rec cyclists. These roads are also very popular for motorcycles in all forms and contains even some pirate bars. Then you throw in the local farmers/rednecks that know every inch of the rural roads and like to drive really fast. Then there is also the wide assortment of farming equipment to deal with. There have been many conflicts over the years. I can't count the times that I have encountered club cyclists, (usually in matching spandex...), riding 3-4 abreast and they flip you off and give you the stinkeye if you honk to make them get over!

Rant over, medication must be kicking in...need more coffee.

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #25976
corzapp
Every ride an adventure

Oddometer: 33
I like to pull in front of them, slow down to about 10 MPH and weave back and forth across the lane. When they complain, I tell them since they have no problem blocking the road they shouldn't get upset when it happens to them.
corzapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #25977
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Common courtesy vs entitlement mentality.

Me, whether walking, Bicycling, riding moto, driving car or tractor, if someone is traveling faster then me I get out of the way, and happily let them by.
I agree completely.

Sadly, far too many have the entitlement mentality.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #25978
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,083
Hey, I saw a cyclist with a car tire on The Dragon the other day. I swear! I hope Killboy got a picture of it. How can a bicycle even work with a car tire?

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #25979
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
Assholes aren't going away! Relax, be courteous, and remember, water off your back (Is that the expression?) Now can we get back to pictures of fail please? I beg you! Oh, wait… It's winter… never mind.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #25980
Obi
2013 Multistrada GT

Oddometer: 17
What are you guys complaining about??? I live in Belgium, where every weekend hordes of bicyclists get out in large groups all thinking they own the street and drive like they are driving the tour the france!!!Try to pass a group of 100+ three row thick idiots that drive in the middle of the road!! These groups act as lawless bandits, crossing streets, ignoring red lights, intersections, other people, forcing other- touristic, family bicyclists -road users into the hard shoulder...Honking or yelling back equals a life threatining situation where the whole group attacks you.
In other words, i don't get it. They clearly do not follow road etiquette, nor road law and still they can continue..
Try to drive your motorcycle on a bicycle path, see how long that will last, and yet they can drive on the road where they ( in belgium that is) may not ride.
I could write up a really nice book with stunts i have seen doing these groups...

greetings,

Obi
Obi is offline   Reply With Quote