Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #91
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 909

If I'm correct it'll still take around 3-4 hours for the first bike to start the SS?
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #92
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
better late than never.

IN !!
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #93
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Manuel continues to amaze me.
He would survive apocalypse only on charm.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #94
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Cyril will be on the SS in about 3 1/2 hours.
14:20 CET.
10:20 Local.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 AM   #95
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,880
Marking the time cards...

Well another year, anothere f5irehose...

Testimony to the enthusiasm, anxiety and f5irst day jitters common on an event of this magnitude, we had a f5ew cyber-riders who checked in early for the f5irst liason and the cyber/rider cards have been marked an in true ASO'le f5ashion will be docked accordingly upon arrival at the cyberASS this evening - much to the idignation an surprise of the off5enders*... just like in a real rally!

(*I even considered cutting and moving the posts backe over to the "pre-event" thread... but thought... "naaaaah..." "better to leave thenm up as part of; doyles f5irst f5our pages of "early book ins" for the 2014 "F5 rogues gallery". )

meanwhile back in the real world... the Moto/quad competitors and majority of the AUTO/CAMION fiels have embarked on the first liason stage from Rosario to the DAY ONE Special Stage:

Cyril Despres with the #1 plate made his way first into the liason stage at 4.20 AM local Argentine time. The competitors have just under 6 hours to complete the transport stage to SS1... all depart the Rosario compound at their designated start time, and must arrive to the Start control of SS1 on their allotted time to "book in" for the competition stage.

Todays SS1 is 180 km's long and serves (ostensibly) as the first racing stage and will determine the start order* for DAY TWO (on sunday).

*In many previous editions of DAKAR (and other rallies) there has often been a "PROLOGUE" to determine the start order of the rally (DAY ONE) held in conjunction with the "pre-event" activities (scrutineering, Ceremonial start etc.). Traditionally a "prologue" is a shorter (5 to 10 km) stage set up as a "spectator friendly" venue... but - as far as the rally itself is concerned - is not much use in seeding any relevant start order. ie. the relatively short (often taped and arrowed) "motocross/cross country" nature of a prologue stage (that require little - if no - navigation at all) is really mostly a PR excercise.

For 2014, ASO have includeed a shorter (than normal) stage of 180 km's which I think is a great format. Long enough for the competitors to warm up/get in the groove. And located in an area (of the Cordoba region) where the public are more than familiar with spectating on the WRD events conducted for many years in this area... there should be NO PROBLEM with the number of spectators that are along the course to cheer on participants!

So what can we expect?

Despres starts off in the first position, then the first 10 riders at two minute intervalls... then the next 10 at 1 minute intervalls. there after two riders each, together at 30 seconds apart...?

How will this play out for the top 30 or so riders looking to position themselves for the DAY SS...?

Given the WRC/gravel road nature of the stage, navigation will be simpler (from the GPS/waypoint acquisiton perspective) than the "off piste" stages to come later as the even unfolds. What this means for the front runners is concentration on the roadbook and tripmeter (often refered to as ICO) in order to make all of the intersections and instructions (also know as "notes" or "tulips") in as good a pace as possible.

"Lead hounds and tracker dogs": Often on the "off piste" stages (over terrain with no discernable track/road to follow) the first few MOTO riders often MAKE the trail (over the years, Despres and Coma have proven to be in a class of their own at this), which means for the following 5 to 15 riders, there is a visual prompt/trail (through dunes etc) for them to "sniff". Inherreantly this means (but not always) that the best stage times on the "off pist" selectives can be set by riders in the position 5 to 15 bracket.

On todays WRC "style" stage, this "bloodhound" phenomena will not be as evident. What will be the three biggest factors in determining who will be quick on todays stage?

Dust. If the vconditions are dry/dusty catching and overtaking a preceeding competitor can be quite difficult/hazardous. The first 10 riders have the advantage of a two minute "dust buffer"... the next 10; one minute. Thereafter two riders every 30 second means (if it is dry) that from about position 30 and back there could be a continuos pall of dust above the 180 km route.

Road book nav. The top 50 riders are all very competent at roadbook/tripmeter nav at speed (or they should be). Setting a good time on todays stage will be a combination of;

Balls, bravado or tactics? Depending on the combination of these factors (and largely on the weather) I would expect that the quickest rider will come probably from somewhere in start position 5 to 15...

Despres can go quick out front if needed (no dust)... but being bike one on this type of stage is a little like mine sweeping; finding spectatotor unaware, livestock on roads, ambiguos indtruction/roadsign somehere along the route (exactly this caught Coma a few years back). And I expect Cyril would be satisfies to position himself in the back half of the top ten for the start of DAY TWO in any case... so I not expect a blinder from him. Coma... much the same.

So who will be the quickest...? I dunno? But I have a feeling that with all of the above factors in the mix, and the hype juggernaught surrounding their effort, that the winner of todays 180 km "prologue" could well be a member of the red HRC squad.

Safe bet? Maybe? After all, they do have five chips on the roulette wheel don't they?

SS1 kicks off at 10:20 AM local Argentine time for the MOTO's... cyber pilots have your irritrack pages, POSIS, Mischas tracker, and all your assorted twitts tweets and random brainf5arts at the ready... It's gonna get F5 rowdy in here in a f5ew hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #96
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
Nice view from yesterday:

Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #97
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Thumb Manny Luncheasy get the ASO PR gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Better than scavanging around for his usual moose at the Dakar
Manny goes from scouinging "mousse" to fondling silicone...

I liiike it!

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #98
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Manny goes from scouinging "mousse" to fondling silicone...

I liiike it!
& no F5 PayPal required.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #99
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Thumb Suave Manuel... always the ladies man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
& no F5 PayPal required.
Manny could end up going through more used "rubber" than he did last year...?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #100
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 909
I don't think CD will be on it right from the start. It doesn't matter if you win the first stage, it matters if you win overall. Let the nothers go too wuickly too soon, and then smother them as the rally progresses.
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 AM   #101
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 542
Hi one and all!

Back again for another year

I knew eating breakfast before logging on was a mistake.... seven pages already!!!
MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #102
silverfox Racing
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Lets roll!!
silverfox Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 AM   #103
nry

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:

Testimony to the enthusiasm, anxiety and f5irst day jitters common on an event of this magnitude, we had a f5ew cyber-riders who checked in early for the f5irst liason and the cyber/rider cards have been marked an in true ASO'le f5ashion will be docked accordingly upon arrival at the cyberASS this evening - much to the idignation an surprise of the off5enders*... just like in a real rally!

Ahh tits ! Checked in early ! Dammit I didn't read the rules properly
(He started it )

In my defence officer I knew they were on the liaison. 00.24 CDP should get away (DSS) here on the east coast of Aus and Allan by my reckoning at 01.27

Do I get another penalty for posting again ?
nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #104
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Manuel continues to amaze me.
He would survive apocalypse only on charm.

or sheer luck
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #105
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:

SS1 kicks off at 10:20 AM local Argentine time for the MOTO's... cyber pilots have your irritrack pages, POSIS, Mischas tracker, and all your assorted twitts tweets and random brainf5arts at the ready... It's gonna get F5 rowdy in here in a f5ew hours!
Just read through the Cliff Notes thread first and thought I was seing (or reading) double - thought it was a bit eloquent for Flood also - - only joking, keep up the great work!

too old screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 03:06 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote