Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
PhillipsMetal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
No bribes or bandits - My initiation to Mexico

(Note - I made this trip last June and my excitement over my next trip finally got me motivated to post this ride.)

Its a familiar story. A guy needs an adventure to pick him up and a visit to see his high school buddy was the excuse.

So, 6 months ago I bought a motorcycle and rode it home from Sottsdale, Arizona. I browsed the forum, spent the day with dwg-Donnie in Mississippi, who was a wealth of information and I quizzed some of the veteran travelers.

May 31,2013

Finally got on the road about noon. Everything was off to a good start until I got to Louisiana and tried to enter the address for the Duck Dynasty folks into the GPS. Nothing comes up except the major roads.

I ended up in Longview, TX and spent too much time fooling around with the GPS trying to figure out where the routes were. I bought the Zuma 550 from a local rider who had ridden all over the states, so I new the maps were there and something had become corrupted. I had a SD card for Mexico, but wasn't sure if the GPS would work with it now.

June 1, 2013

Finally for rolling about mid-morning and made it to Pecos, TX. This entire area is going through an oil boom and rooms are tough to find. The Motel 6 had one room left for more than $100 and the place looked shady. Finally a found a cheap room downtown for $80 cash.