ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Might be overlooking something here. You say a rock took out the slave? It may have put a very slight bend in the clutch rod, which would explain the seal which in leaking now but not before. Good luck with it mate, and thanks again Zuber for your excellent input.
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m View Post
Might be overlooking something here. You say a rock took out the slave? It may have put a very slight bend in the clutch rod, which would explain the seal which in leaking now but not before. Good luck with it mate, and thanks again Zuber for your excellent input.

Hmmm, ya, could be. It was leaking before (why I wanted to replace the seal in the first place), and I'm sure I've now gouged the mating surface (doh!), so it's possible it is leaking from both places... I had the clutch rod out and no warning flags went up, but I wasn't specifically looking to see if it was bent. It slid in and out just fine. I'm not thrilled about taking the clutch apart again, but now I have it down to 15 min or so.

I think I'll give the seal replacement one more try and try to clean up the hole better, both the oil AND the gouging. Then use blue gasket maker around the seal perhaps?? It's pretty tacky.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming! Apparently I'm still not above doing dumb stuff in the garage... Part of the bonding process with these orange beasties I reckon...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Take the slave unit and all the spacers out, clean the seal area well, start the engine to see where it's leaking - around the shaft or outside of seal. Also check seal alignment from all angles with good light, maybe it isn't seated straight.

If you replace seal, with sealant perhaps, check for leaks with engine running before assembling slave.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
sonoran
bruh

Oddometer: 21,976
Alright, my turn at bat for this seal replacement.

Don't want to suffer the same fate as Viola-tor. Is there a better way to remove the old seal then pry it out with a hook?
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote