ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #4276
dmun
dmun

Oddometer: 25
I was trying to save on shipping if possible. my K bike has almost 56k on it on and the previous owner used Amsoil. I know I don't "have" to use Amsoil but I still want to. I know that anyone who buys 2 cases is considered a dealer. when you go to their site and type in locations, it shows a bunch of people who have obviously done this. seems like I'd call someone only to find they'd bought it a couple of years ago for themselves. anyways I went ahead and directly ordered 4 quarts from Amsoil and paid almost $60 with shipping . thanks to everyone who replied to my question.
dmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #4277
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I was trying to save on shipping if possible. my K bike has almost 56k on it on and the previous owner used Amsoil. I know I don't "have" to use Amsoil but I still want to. I know that anyone who buys 2 cases is considered a dealer. when you go to their site and type in locations, it shows a bunch of people who have obviously done this. seems like I'd call someone only to find they'd bought it a couple of years ago for themselves. anyways I went ahead and directly ordered 4 quarts from Amsoil and paid almost $60 with shipping . thanks to everyone who replied to my question.
The Advance Auto in Dahlgren had it for about $10.50 a quart. Our local NAPA is $12. Go figure. You can pay $20 a year and be a preferred customer and buy from the distribution center. I did this for a year when I made regular trips though Richmond. It is near the airport. I stocked up.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #4278
xeril
lurkasaurus

Oddometer: 16
Olympus auto parts in NOVA has a couple cases of the 20w50 in Alexandria (give or take 24 bottles) for 11.66 that they can transfer to any other Olympus location.
xeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #4279
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
18 degrees today, good times, good times. . ..

NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #4280
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 698
Bluhduh

(Down for the count until I can get the place where the Beast's left valve cover screws into the cylinder re-threaded so he no longer tries to help us elude pursuit by spewing oil out that side.)

'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #4281
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Free jacket

EDIT: as of 9pm JAN 5 the jacket has a home

I got a new riding jacket for christmas, so I'd like to dispose of my old one. I have an all black Xtra Large Cortech (by TourMaster) Advanced 3/4 jacket I am making available to any inmate in the NOVA area who is in need of a proper motorcycle jacket. It is heavy cordura with a full sleeve liner. Shoulder, elbow, back armor. Was claimed to be waterproof, but I wouldn't bet on it. On the left rear, where your shoulder blade would be, some of the stitching has come undone. An easy fix. I have never crash tested it. It is pretty warm with the liner in, perfect for the winter.

So, If you are cruising around in a non armored, non-motorcycle jacket because you couldn't spare the coin for a proper motorcycle jacket, shoot me a PM and we can arrange a pick up.

SteelB12 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 06:10 PM Reason: added size
SteelB12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #4282
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Wink A little cross-post from the Catherder's thread

Y'all do winter back there sometimes. Well, so do we out here in the Pacific Northwet. Well, sometimes, sorta winter . . .

We get our periods of dismal rain, and there's nowhere near enough snowpack in the mountains, but today was the local Washington State Beemer Bubba meeting over the water in Mukliteo. Just had to get up early and go . . .

Fields heavy with silver frost
Fog creeping up Liberty Bay
Road's good, mostly
except for the spun-out Suburban
Sun peaks over the ferry,
Ramp's a little slick

Gentle, gentle throttle on the GS
Tire tracks are your friend.

A little mid-winter 3-ferry ride around the Puget Sound.

Kingston ferry, three riders looking for the sun

North Cascades in the background

Meeting was at a golf course club-house/restaurant . . . you mean they play golf in this stuff? I'd rather ride!

Waiting for the Mukilteo ferry

Here it is!

Mt Baker, behind my gull-ible friend.

a lighthouse on every point, and a point to every lighthouse . . . this one's the Mukilteo light.

Approaching Whidbey Island, where I was stationed as a young LTJG a couple of centuries ago.

North on Whidbey, towards Oak Harbor and the Naval Air Station, but turn right before you get there, towards the old coastal defense Ft Casey. There you catch:

Port Townsend Ferry

To the right of the point, Strait of Juan De Fuca, a few miles further is Cape Flattery, then Japan. (Geography's compressed for old farts).

Port Townsend on the right, it's paper mill on the left, and the Olympic Mountains brooding over both.

Happy New Year to y'all!!

ORexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #4283
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
Very nice.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #4284
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
RIdin Gaijin,

Bummer about the stripped valve cover bolt. I'll do some research to see what the options are and get back to you.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #4285
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 720
Beautiful photos, ORexpat. Seems like a rider's paradise out there.

Question for the masses - do you have any recs for sleeping pads that are well-insulated, comfortable, and pack compactly for motorcycle camping? I'm looking to do Laurel Fork in April and I hear it can get pretty cold. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #4286
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
If you decide on an inflatable pad, I have the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad. It packs small and I've used it as low as 12F this winter and stayed warm. They offer a lifetime warranty which I used to replace my uninsulated version of be pad
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #4287
ridin gaijin
el camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
RIdin Gaijin,

Bummer about the stripped valve cover bolt. I'll do some research to see what the options are and get back to you.
Hey no problem man. It's what we noticed when we were checking the valves...looks like that cover doesn't reseal as we thought it would. Maybe the checking made it worse?

I've been doing some homework trying to figure out how this would work too. Do you think this could be solved at Rex? If not, I'm thinking a call to Crossroads. At this point I don't want to ride alla way out to George's with it continually wetting itself and me (the big baby).

For those playing from home...the inside of the cylinder is stripped almost smooth where one of those four long cylinder head cover bolts is supposed to secure it. HBN's initial thought was to get an insert of some kind in there; the threads on the bolt itself look fine.

This bolt...

...is no longer screwing into this hole:

Open to suggestions!
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #4288
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
I had a similar, stripped thread problem with my 1100 gs. (User error, based on incorrect reading of a new torque wrench...GAAAAH!!!!)

I took it to Morton's and they repaired it. I think they did it while I waited too.

I do not recall it costing a lot of money either.

Good luck with it. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #4289
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post

This bolt...

...is no longer screwing into this hole:

Open to suggestions!
Heli-Coil. Easy peasy.

If it's a M6x1, I've got inserts and the tools if you or HBN wants to borrow them.
20% Smug Mug Credit

WayneJ screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 07:43 AM
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #4290
ridin gaijin
el camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Question for the masses - do you have any recs for sleeping pads that are well-insulated, comfortable, and pack compactly for motorcycle camping? I'm looking to do Laurel Fork in April and I hear it can get pretty cold. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
I've always camped with Thermarests. They can seem kinda pricey but you can get them in different thicknesses, and they pack down pretty small. A cheap space blanket underneath it will help insulate you, too, and also crushes down small.