Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #1201
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Botturi lost and stuck, Coma stuck...whoa!
Here's the chance!! GO SAM GOOO!!!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #1202
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,958
Kevin Muggelton past CP1 in 105th 9started 120)

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #1203
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 548
Just caught that Kevin made checkpoint:

- (120)
186 - KEVIN MUGGLETON (USA)
09:59:00 (120) +00:48:23 (105) +00:48:23 (105)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #1204
hardenduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thumb great information

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
There have been a few questions about food, hydration, etc, and in the interest of procrastinating the work I should be doing, let me take a swing at answering.

I'll start by saying that the entry fee for Dakar is ~$20k, and in my opinion, that's a bargain. There is good, quality food waiting everywhere you want it (not easy to achieve!), and the level of support demonstrated with the iritrack/ sentinel system is amazing. This system allows the ASO to know precisely where you are moment by moment, and even allows voice communication and monitoring of your bike's attitude. So, if you stop to pee (like I did, others wear catheters) and forget to push the green button to let them know you are alright, it is an intentional stop, a french voice will shortly come over the intercom. "Mssr Suesse? Are you OK?". In addition, if the system senses a crash, or if the red button is pushed, medical personnel are automatically dispatched. My year, I think the average response time was about 7 minutes. That's better than it is at my home 8 blocks from a hospital, I am sure. Then, of course, there is all the work in making perfect roadbooks, finding great tracks, and the rest.

My point in beginning with this background is that the level of organization is several steps above any other event I have ever participated in, and they have certainly not skimped on the fundamental basics of keeping their athletes fed and hydrated.

The ASO maintains no fewer than 3 complete bivouac setups including kitchens and so on, and they leapfrog them forward so that you leave a fully staffed and set up bivouac, and arrive at the same. Each is near an airport, staff is flown mid-day while the crews and racers are on course- the same person checks you out in the morning and back in that evening. It is a finely tuned machine.

A shot of the food tent at the bivouac:

Now, food and hydration. My day started about 1 hour before my departure time for liasion. Since I typically finished upper-midpack, that was typically about an hour after the leader. They would often leave at 4:30 or so, I was more like 5:30 if I had to guess an average. So, I'd wake up and Deadly99 and I would head to breakfast together. This consisted of cereal, yoghurt, juice, coffee, tea, croissants (that varied in quality from decent to mediocre), toast, coldcuts, runny omelets, cheese, etc. There were plenty of calories available and plenty of variety, even if it wasn't always what you wanted exactly.

Breakfast with Chris Birch

This was one of my favorite times of the day. Some easy chatter, and you started to know the folks who a) were near the same speed as you and therefore eating at near the same time and b) spoke english (since I'm an ugly American who doesn't speak well in any other tongue). Chris and I ate with some regularity.

I'd head back to the truck and get dressed. I would have stocked my jacket the night before with water and Kate's bars (pretty much the most awesome travel food ever!). A big advantage of the Klim Rally jacket is that it can hold everything- tools, documents, food, water, etc. So, I'd just pull it on and head out.

Regarding fluids, I found that the key was more electrolyte balance than pure hydration intake. However, experimenting before the race revealed that all of the mixes that you can put in your camelbak water, made me nauseous. So, I used a ton of Hammer Electrolyte products- the pills, the fizz tablets around camp, and the recovery drinks when I finished the day. On the bike, I drank water.

On the liaison, there were gas stops as necessary, and the ASO would distribute water bottles there. At the DSS (and ASS), the ASO would have water. Any stop during the stage would have water. Typically, I drank a bottle of water every time there was one available, and my camelbak bladder would last the whole day, just occasionally sipping when I wanted to clean the dust out of my mouth.

At every opportunity, I also ate something, whether I was hungry or not. DSS was always a Kate's bar. Gas stops were either another Kate's or Clif Bloks or etc. ASS I would usually just try to get back to the bivvy unless it was a long liaison, in which case I'd have another Kate's.

As for unloading all of this intake, the race is so long that I never felt bad about spending a few minutes here or there keeping myself comfortable. I stopped to pee on stage if necessary (and always tried at the DSS/ ASS/ Fuel/ etc), and I would generally avail myself of the crappers at the bivouac. Hot tip: steal plenty of paper from the person guarding it (yes, really) and if possible, use the ladies rooms.

One special, I was not able to follow the normal schedule, and pulled into gas with an urgent agenda. Unfortunately, it was close by a road, so it was absolutely packed with locals. I didn't have time for modesty, so some South Americans got a show. I know they cheered and clapped, which is pretty much the only time I've been applauded for that particular activity, and I hope it remains that way.

When I'd arrive at the truck, I'd drink a recovery drink and chat with Tim about the bike. Then Deadly and I would go for first dinner, I'd do my roadbook, restock my jacket, and then we'd go have second dinner. Somewhere in there, I'd call Rally Raidio (I really miss that this year!) and then I'd go to sleep. It's a short list of things to spend time on at Dakar- your body, your bike, your roadbook, that's about it.
Ned,
Thanks for the insight,this is great info for someone who hopes to
do a rally in the near future.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #1205
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
12:24 Motos: Grabham ensablé ?
Le britannique Ben Grabham est resté stoppé quelques minutes dans une zone de grandes dunes, peu après le kilomètre 280 du parcours des motos et des quads. On peut penser à un ensablement. Signalons également que les températures sont très élevées à l'heure actuelle, légèrement supérieures à 40°C selon les prévisions.

Ben Graham also stopped km 280, dunes
Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #1206
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Argentinean biker Javier Pizzolito has also ground to a halt for the last few minutes in a zone of small dunes covered in what seems to be camel grass. He is currently stuck at the 266 km point of the bike/quad special stage.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #1207
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardenduro View Post
Ned,
Thanks for the insight,this is great info for someone who hopes to
do a rally in the near future.
Thanks for your comment. Could you please, the next time, avoid quoting the whole post and pictures esp when its a long one. We all love insights from guys like Ned and Pyn but it'd be appreciated if you could snip the quote while replying. Takes a few more seconds of your time, thats all.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #1208
Screamingeagle3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
....so first sand dunes a bunch of riders is stuck........two words comes to mind for the rest of the stages fesh,fesh
Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #1209
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Something big is going on in the dunes

Roadbook off?
Unmarked hazards?

Or simply a lemming effect where everyone is following the lost guy ?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #1210
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
12:24 Motos: Grabham ensablé ?
Le britannique Ben Grabham est resté stoppé quelques minutes dans une zone de grandes dunes, peu après le kilomètre 280 du parcours des motos et des quads. On peut penser à un ensablement. Signalons également que les températures sont très élevées à l'heure actuelle, légèrement supérieures à 40°C selon les prévisions.

Ben Graham also stopped km 280, dunes
Brit - Ben will like that less that stopping
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #1211
Deadly99
Fast and Far

British rider Ben Grabham has been stopped for several minutes in an area of large dunes, shortly after 280 km of the bike and quad special stage. He is likely to have got stuck in the sand. It should also be noted that the temperature is currently very high, slightly above 40°C according to forecasts.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #1212
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Plot thickens.
Someone is bound to finish today smelling like a rose.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #1213
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316

Surprises in the Ass?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #1214
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Dakar.com

Quote:
After a minor fall, the Bolivian Juan Carlos Salvatierra is currently repairing his motorcycle along with Italian Paolo Ceci. The two men were arrested in an area of ​​dunes along the Chilean Claudio Rodriguez and autralien Shane Diener.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #1215
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Mike Johnson threw CP1, gained a few positions

Closed Thread