"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,058
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,230
why not go to baja and live in a van down by the ocean?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
why not go to baja and live in a van down by the ocean?
That might be in the works, we're going to try to wear out AZ first

Happy New Year to everyone. We're visiting friends and enjoying NYE festivities right now, but will post another update soon!
zachbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc LaDue View Post
I'm not sure an XR650R is really the best entry-level vehicle for a novice female off-road rider, but what the heck do I know? I wish you two all the luck in the New Year; I suspect you're likely going to need it. If you should happen to find yourself in the vicinity of Sioux City, Iowa sometime later this coming spring or early summer, give me a shout. I too grew up in der Schweiz, Glattbrugg to be exact.
Over and out for now,

LaDue
Hi Marc,
I know an XR650R isn't a conventional choice for this role, but it's bullet-proof, runs nicely on the road (for a dirt-bike), is stable off-road, and actually the power-band is quite user-friendly. It's really not a bad bike for someone learning to ride off-road. The kick-start is really the only major hiccup.

Take care,
Zach
Old 01-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #21
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
Was that a shot timer or a camera when she was shooting?
Buddy filming with his gopro. Paparazzi!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

So, after making the most of our friends' hospitality in Elephant Butte, we finally had to hit the road again. Since we were already in southern NM we figured it would be a shame to miss out on the National Parks in the area. We made a quick hop over to White Sands, with a stop in Hatch along the way to get some green and red chile burritos. No pics, we were way too busy eating those magnificent creations!
We had a nice hike around White Sands and enjoyed the scenery. No dune riding here, which is just fine. There's plenty of places to ride motor vehicles on sand dunes without trashing the biggest gypsum dunes in the world!

After White Sands we drove up through Cloudcroft and over to Carlsbad Caverns. I won't bore you with photos of stalagmites and such, but suffice it to say that Carlsbad is worth seeing if you get the chance. I felt a bit like I was on acid...not that I would know what that feels like or anything...

From Carlsbad we took one more day off the bikes and went hiking in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. It was beautiful weather and the park has few visitiors, so we had a great hike to see Devil's Hallway:

From there we headed through El Paso and on west along I-10 until we turned and headed south towards Animas and the bootheel of NM. It's an interesting region with a lot of cattle ranching a whole lot of Border Patrol vehicles. I took a quick spin around on my own in the evening to see what the riding was like:

The next day we rode down the the south-eastern most section of the Coronado National Forest, and ended up riding what I later found out is the eastern portion of the Geronimo Trail. It was about 20 miles of pavement south from Animas, and another ten miles of washboarded dirt before the riding got a little better about the time we entered the forest. There's a lot of signs warning about illegal immigration and smuggling, but we didn't feel particularly bothered:

Top of the pass:

On the way back:

Computer battery dying! More tomorrow.

zachbrowning screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 01:33 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbrowning View Post

Yummo ..good looking bike as well
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I am on here as well so can read all the comments :-).
Biggest problem I have had with the bike is the kick start. I read all the info, watched all the videos and in the end had to work out my own, hanging off the bike technique! It seems to work 50% of the time, rest of the time I am just doing thigh muscle exercises! If anyone else is having the same problem (probably more chicks then blokes) then message me and I can give you more info.
AndieFlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Interlochen?

I've been to Interlochen - hiked from Kleine Scheidegg down to Grindenwald... in mid-May... in the snow! Brrr..

Enjoy riding in the southwest!

I'll be riding out that way in either early March or sometime this summer.

Not sure I'd like kicking an XRR....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieFlaps View Post
I am on here as well so can read all the comments :-).
Biggest problem I have had with the bike is the kick start. I read all the info, watched all the videos and in the end had to work out my own, hanging off the bike technique! It seems to work 50% of the time, rest of the time I am just doing thigh muscle exercises! If anyone else is having the same problem (probably more chicks then blokes) then message me and I can give you more info.
Once you get the hang of the secret handshake starting ritual of the XR, you'll see that it isn't too bad. Keep with it!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #27
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

From Animas, we drove the van over to the Chiricahua Mountains. We had no idea really where we were going, so we were blown away by the scenery when we drove into Cave Creek Canyon. Wow! We decided we better make the most of our discovery and do some hiking the next day. We climbed up Silver Peak, which is a little over 3k feet of climbing. The view was well worth it, but it was damn chilly at the top. We ate a quick lunch and retreated to warmer elevations!

The route up:

View from the top:

We wanted to ride over to Chiricahua National Monument the next day, but we woke up to rain and a forecast for more on the way. We decided it would be wiser to beat a retreat to the city to get some errands done (ie spend money). We cruised to Tucson and visited various retailers to help make their holiday season more profitable. We also took Walmart up on their fine offer of hospitality as we have several times on this trip. After another rainy day the weather started to dry out and we looked for a place to ride. We decided since we were in Tucson and there's good riding near the city we might as well stick around for the holidays. We made our way out to Reddington Road where we found a spot in a parking lot that was convenient if not ideal. We decided the Chimney Rock area looked good for riding and headed up that way on the bikes.

Going up the pass:

Fresh snow on the mountains after the wet weather:

XRs having a chat while we ate lunch:

Andie digging the riding:

and making it up some difficult climbs:

Just after this climb there was a short descent with some loose rock and a bend halfway down. Andie must have grabbed a bit of front brake at the wrong moment because the front end washed out and she dropped the bike. No big deal, neither she or the bike was injured, but it shook her up a little bit. When we got to a longer, steeper, ledgier descent a little ways further, she decided that enough was enough. OK, no problem, that give me a chance to ride back up it

We made it back to "camp" in time to see a nice sunset over the city. Crappy cellphone pic:

The next day we decided a bit of exercise was in order and scrambled down to the Tanque Verde falls. Short hike, but steep and warm. Well worth it to enjoy the sunshine on a beautiful day:

Christmas Eve was another great sunny day and another chance to ride bikes. I had heard that the trail out to Chivo Falls was great, but it sounded like a bit more than Andie wanted to do. We made a plan for me to ride Chivo by myself in the morning and Andie would meet me at the trailhead for lunch and we'd do some easier riding in the afternoon. I waited for the temps to warm up a bit and then cruised up the the "Three Feathers" trailhead. It's a short but quite fun ride from there out to Chivo. In the 4x4 guidebook we have for AZ it says it should take a few hours, so I was suprised to be staring at the falls 20 minutes later! Ok, I guess motorcycles are a bit faster than Jeeps

Since I'd planned for a longer ride I hung out by the falls (which were actually flowing thanks to the recent snowfall higher up) and enjoyed the sun and the mango I was thoughtful enough to stuff in my pack at the last minute. Made it back to meet Andie at the trailhead right on time despite a couple of wrong turns. We headed out on some other trails in the area which were about the perfect level for Andie. The climbs got progressively harder, but none were too much and she finished the ride feeling quite happy that she made the whole thing

Rest break:

This climb was definitely steeper than it looks in this photo:

On Christmas we decided (along with half of Tucson it seems) that we should enjoy the sunshine by riding up Mt. Lemmon. We'd never been up there before and it really is a beautiful ride, even if it was crowded with vehicles of all sorts.

Seven cataracts:

Snow for Christmas!:

Happy Holidays everyone!:

OK, as much as I love the XR, I was kind of wishing I had my R6 for this road...:

OK, that gets us up through Christmas. Will upload more photos and try to get caught up. We're still riding and still enjoying AZ, we've met one other ADVer so far, and we're looking forward to meeting others. See you out on the trails!

zachbrowning screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 01:58 PM
Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #28
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
You missed coming to Big Bend, Texas. And then again, maybe you would have never left if you did come here. Let us know if you do, we will be here for another month. Plenty of room to camp.

Stay well.
Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #29
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Looks like some great riding. As I'm reading this RR, it is -17 degrees here in WI. I'm just a little jealous.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #30
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,241
Subscribed.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote