Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #31
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
They're self-confident enough that it doesn't matter how some douchebags talk about them at the café or in the internet.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #32
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
seems most harley riders i see on the road have on a leather jacket of some sort, boots of one sort or another, gloves, and denim pants. is that not "gear" enough?
There is a difference between "gear" and safety equipment. Their leather jackets have no impact protection. Their boots may be the only piece of safety equipment worn, if heavy and protective. The gloves are usually fingerless, light leather offering no protection. Standard denim likewise offers no protection, and is usually the most misunderstood item of motorcycle clothing of all. Statistics say that you are more likely to suffer lower extremity injuries than any other in the event of a crash, yet even experienced and "safety conscious" riders still think denim is some magic force field.

All this being said, I don't want to be deemed a "safety geek". Wear what you think is appropriate. That's what our freedoms are all about. The inevitable application of Darwinian Theory will eventually take care of the rest.
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #33
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 525
This guy knows how to dress for Harley Riding

I guess life is a gamble and you decide on an individual basis the level of risk you are willing to take.

I do think education of new riders should involve showing them evidence of the difference between a slide down the road in shorts, jeans, textiles and leather.Once they understand the possible outcomes they are able to make an informed choice.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #34
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I'm just glad that we all ride. Riders are still better than non-riders in my book. If you ask me what I think is best, I'll tell you what is best for me. As for other people, I really do try to avoid preaching gear choices. Everyone has to find their own path through life and evolution must take its course. Some who prefer pirate garb will ride into their golden years and some who gear up to the max will get dead young, despite being well prepared to avoid injury.
This ^ just about sums it up for me too. I've noticed more and more guys in mc clubs around here in the PNW are wearing full face helmets and even the occasional textile gear. Ya sure wouldn't have seen that 20 years ago!
Ride Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #35
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,120
Cool2 Appeal of the sound of the wind

Just some observations on the HD crowd in my area:
They cruise. Because their machines are called cruisers or because you can't go fast without facial protection?
When you go at a speed comparable to a cyclist, should you really dress a power ranger, are you really that much precious?

I started riding when Joplin was still around and helmets were recommended but not mandatory.
When the recommendation became law, I felt sorry for not having gone helmetless more often, while I still could.
Putting on a helmet is like going from a motorcycle inside a cage.
The caress of the wind is gone. The sound of the engine is distorted.
If you never rode without a helmet, you just don't know.
Really, You Don't Know.

And I still get claustrophobic behind a faceshield.

Bottom line: from ATGATT to PIRATE, -shadow and vapours, all the same-, aren't we all fashionista first?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #36
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 638
Sometimes it's nice to simple get off a bike and walk into an establishment without spending 15 minutes taking off a bunch of gear and still being uncomfortable because you can't take it all off. I used to believe in ATGATT...now I believe in wearing whatever allows me to ride. If that means a pair of boxers and slippers.....that's what it means.

Too much importance is placed upon telling others how to properly enjoy their pastimes.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #37
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Really, You Don't Know.

I tend to leave my face shield up for that reason. I like the wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
Sometimes it's nice to simple get off a bike and walk into an establishment without spending 15 minutes taking off a bunch of gear and still being uncomfortable because you can't take it all off. I used to believe in ATGATT...now I believe in wearing whatever allows me to ride. If that means a pair of boxers and slippers.....that's what it means.
And the other end, the reason I tend to not ride when it's cold, is I don't like to spend 20 minutes to put all that stuff on, and even then I'm often not as warm as I'd like to be.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #38
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
I am an extreme case but I ride a Harley because it fits my 6'6" 400 pound body better than pretty much any other bike, my size is also why I wear almost no protective gear due to not being able to get stuff that fits without having it custom made. I have 2 helmets, a Simpson half helmet and a full face that almost fits right, I have yet to find another full face that comes close to fitting and it is even difficult to look since there seems to be no standard for helmet sizes.

And on the same note, where do motorcycle gear makers come up with their sizing, which does not match clothing sizes at all. Case in point, I own many coats and jackets in 4X and all fit fine, including my leather ones, ordered a first gear riding jacket in 4X, the front would not come within 6 inches of closing and was very tight across the shoulders. I would really like to have a mesh riding jacket but have been unable so far to get one that fits.

Yes, I am well aware that I am fat
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #39
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
There is a difference between "gear" and safety equipment. Their leather jackets have no impact protection. .
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #40
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I agree with everything you said, below. I too am a new Harley guy. I even have Hi-Viz Harley gear....they only sold it for a short time. Bright yellow helmet, body armor, gloves, etc. The only concession I make to comfort is kevlar cargos when it gets warm down here in Jawja. Otherwise ATGATT

QUOTE=AKDuc;23145586]I agree with this:

this:

and this:

I'm a newer Harley rider of just a couple years who's ATGATT.

Tho truth be told, I did come from a "Ricky Racer Power Ranger" background.

And oh yeah, I'm on HDForums but I like it a lot better over here.

Anything 2-wheeled, Mark H.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #41
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
Btw is there any evidence that coloured, hiviz or retroflective gear works on a motorcycle? As most have fairing and headlights on, it can hardly be seen and as most accidents happen at the front of the motorcycle, I don't think that it makes a lot of difference wether your dressed in black or yellow.
No one mentioned hi-viz, and 100% agree that a lot of stuff sold is totally useless. But that's not because the idea doesn't have merit, just how people apply it. The point you are making regarding accidents at the front of the motorcycle is the very reason to make the bike and rider as obvious as you can from this angle. Do we really need a scientific study to conclude that the more obvious a motorcycle is from head on, the safer the rider will be all other things being equal. I don't, as to me it's just plain obvious common sense. But for those wanting evidence, the Hart report found bikes with farings were less likely to be innvolved in a head-on accident, as a faring increased the head-on visability of the motorcycle.

So what makes a motorcyle more obvious from head-on? A coloured faring, yes. But is black an effective colour so think about the colour of you next bike if you buy a bike with a faring (just like you should for a car). If it is a naked, colour makes zero difference because you can't see the colour from head on. The rider and what they are wearing is about the only thing you actually see from head-on on a naked.

Does wearing a white or other bright coloured helmet make you more visable than a black one from front on? Common sense and my own two eyes tell me absolutely yes. Even with a fairing on most bikes your arms and upper body are highly visable from front on. So wear a jacket with brightly coloured arms and upper front. Orange, yellow, white, take you pick. I've seen some really stylish black jackets with orange sleeves, you don't have to look like a dag (Australian only expression perhaps). Have your headlight on.

Do you really need evidence to conclude that say a white coloured motorcycle with a white faring being riden by a rider wearing a white helmet wearing a jacket with bright sleeves and upper front chest and headlight turned on, is going to be much more obvious from front on than an all black rider riding a naked with no headlight? I'm completely happy to use my own real world observations on the road.

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 06:32 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #42
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I have had the opportunity to speak with Chris Carr (National flattrack champion and Motorcycle Hall of Famer) several times. He lives local to me and he insists that he will never ride on the street. This is the man that held the World Speed Record at well over 300 mph on the salt flats. Just too many variables out of control. I guess if I had the outlets for fun that he has I may feel the same way, but alas I do not. How does this relate? He was a factory H-D rider of course.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #43
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post

All this being said, I don't want to be deemed a "safety geek". Wear what you think is appropriate. That's what our freedoms are all about. The inevitable application of Darwinian Theory will eventually take care of the rest.

you know I see statements Like this in a lot of these types of threads and I always wonder why it is believed that people engaging in riskier behavior than what is considered to be the acceptable norm are perceived to be less fit for survival or less intelligent. history tells a much different story ...

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 07:56 PM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #44
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Just some observations on the HD crowd in my area:
They cruise. Because their machines are called cruisers or because you can't go fast without facial protection?
When you go at a speed comparable to a cyclist, should you really dress a power ranger, are you really that much precious?

I started riding when Joplin was still around and helmets were recommended but not mandatory.
When the recommendation became law, I felt sorry for not having gone helmetless more often, while I still could.
Really, You Don't Know.

Bottom line: from ATGATT to PIRATE, -shadow and vapours, all the same-, aren't we all fashionista first?
I rode without a helmet before Washington made it mandatory. It was kinda nice in perfect weather for short, slow rides.
Freeway speeds, cold weather, snow, rain, bugs, rocks, dust, mud, noise......even not considering the protection factor, I quickly learned for most of my riding, a helmet is more comfortable.

I wear a Nolen N43E trilogy, even with the chin bar in place, the field of view is almost as good as a half helmet.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #45
InvertedB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Being a current Harley rider that subscribes to the ATGATT principle I can at least weigh in with my personal experience. I have an Ultra Classic (the huge full dresser with fairing and radio) that I got following riding a Triumph Thruxton. I have always rode with a modular or full-face helmet, riding jacket/pants/boots/gloves. The first ride of any distance I did on the Harley I found myself sweating profusely and burning up inside my helmet thanks to that huge fairing. I went out and bought a half-helmet to help with airflow and buffeting I was experiencing with my modular. I rode with this for about six months before talking with a friend who mentioned a simple thought about how he could live without an arm or a leg, but not a head. While I do not wish to live without any of the above, I could not argue with that point and went back to wearing the modular.

My personal experience is that the airflow behind the fairing is atrocious (which can be corrected) and can lead to the decision to wear less protective gear. I think the vast majority though do not wear significant ATGATT because of the "Harley biker look" rather than any consideration or intentional disregard for personal safety. There is also a certain group that has an opinion that no amount of gear truly makes a difference so they'll don none at all. I think a good cure for that could be reading the face plant forum.
InvertedB is online now   Reply With Quote