Dakar 2009. Probably Stage 6

Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #1982
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
more dakar.com stage 2 photos!

more dakar.com stage 2 photos!

#18 - SAM SUNDERLAND (GBR) [HONDA]

everything posted in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose, lots of cars, quads, trucks... not many bikes this late in the day.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #1983
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Update From FRR Camp

David Reeve's Zambia Dakar 2013 Challenge

CB1's Storm alert:

Just past midnight here and thunder, lightening wind and big drops of rain. Warning gone round to close awnings and put tables and chairs away as big storm coming. Result I and Gilly have moved into RV on our swags on the floor. Temperature has dropped nicely.

FRR packed away anything that can be blown away. Scott, Jamie and MG battling on to finish the bikes for the 1st Marathon stage starting tomorrow, so tomorrow night an early night for them. 102 do...ne 184, 185 basically done just fitting wheels then need to work on 186's heating problem and finish service. 167 caught fire, minor damage but received outside assistance from locals! was seen by organisers and has been disqualified.

Good night/ morning.
CB1

----------

39 minutes ago near Lusaka, Zambia

Day 3 Updates here.

The crew are surfacing right now. (I can almost smell the smoke from Gilly's first ciggy all the way here in Zambia)

DR starts the liaison at 5:01 from 32nd place, remember this is a marathon stage, so he gets to camp out with all the other riders and has to maintain his own bike.

DR had a good night's sleep despite the weather and is cheerful this AM. Riders in tents could be a bit grumpy.

FRR has lost Peter Hardy due to a fire and subsequent disqualification. There was a high attrition rate yesterday due to dehydration as riders struggled in the dunes.

----------------

Will we see 'MudGate II' tomorrow???? Night all.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #1984
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Day two was riddled with carnage all up and down the board in all categories... moto, quad, SXS and Auto/Truck

on the back of that, faced with the first leg (SS3) of the two day marathon ahead today...

"Well. all I can predict is... it's gonna get worse before it gets better f5olks...!
Yeap rmhrc agrees with that summation. It must be frightful for the riders as they prepare to knowingly step into the abyss.

On the issue of the ride (Pal?) who's helpers were thieves - have we confirmed someone was actually shot? When I read that page a few hours ago I was in shock - has the story been confirmed ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #1985
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post

CB1's Storm alert:

Just past midnight here and thunder, lightening wind and big drops of rain. Warning gone round to close awnings and put tables and chairs away as big storm coming. Result I and Gilly have moved into RV on our swags on the floor. Temperature has dropped nicely.

FRR packed away anything that can be blown away. Scott, Jamie and MG battling on to finish the bikes for the 1st Marathon stage starting tomorrow, so tomorrow night an early night for them. 102 do...ne 184, 185 basically done just fitting wheels then need to work on 186's heating problem and finish service. 167 caught fire, minor damage but received outside assistance from locals! was seen by organisers and has been disqualified.

Good night/ morning.
CB1

----------

39 minutes ago near Lusaka, Zambia

Day 3 Updates here.

The crew are surfacing right now. (I can almost smell the smoke from Gilly's first ciggy all the way here in Zambia)

DR starts the liaison at 5:01 from 32nd place, remember this is a marathon stage, so he gets to camp out with all the other riders and has to maintain his own bike.

DR had a good night's sleep despite the weather and is cheerful this AM. Riders in tents could be a bit grumpy.

FRR has lost Peter Hardy due to a fire and subsequent disqualification. There was a high attrition rate yesterday due to dehydration as riders struggled in the dunes.

----------------

Will we see 'MudGate II' tomorrow???? Night all.
Always look forward to your updates.

Thanks for the effort. It's 7.30pm here in Australia and I look fwd to a great night of f5 power stream!
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #1986
AliBaba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
On the issue of the ride (Pal?) who's helpers were thieves - have we confirmed someone was actually shot? When I read that page a few hours ago I was in shock - has the story been confirmed ?
I just heard a interview with Pål and it's not confirmed that anyone is shot.

Personally I think it might be a trick to get him away from the bike, but I don't know.
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #1987
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,112
Where's is PUA's bike, and is there a smoking gun?

Agreed... the "report" was pål Ander's own account of the events as they transpired as to what (the driver of the car) related to him... the alleged "telephone call" that his brother had been shot;

a norwegian Troyslation

Pål Anders Ullevålseter Offisielle Fanside

Pål Anders official fan site:

It is with frustration and despair that we must inform DAKAR 2014 is over for PAU already in the second stage of the rally. The motor on Ullevålsäters KTM seized at around 290 kilometer av todays special of total (EDIT corrected 359 km) between San Luis and san rafael.

Why it did so is unkown to the team, and had nothing to do with the oil level, which is often the cause. Pål Anders mentioned on telephone that that he lay in a stream of sand behind 3 ATV's for 180 km's - without being able to pass and was not completely able to conclude (the stage).
He is naturally bitterly dissappointed... Pål Anders informs that he is not injured in any measure and that the bike just stopped.

The whole thing was a surreal situation, a somewhat confused PÅL was met by 5 men, who by his description - looked somewhat suspicious. Apparently they said they would help him transport the dead bike back to the bivouac. The bike has a lot of valuable equipment, so Pål Anders was very unsure that he should leave it. One of the mens "brother" turned up with a car and invited Pål to ride the last bit to the bivouac, while the others would come with the bike. Efter 20 minutes the man (car driver) informs Pål Anders that he has had a phone call from one of the other guys (with the bike) that his brother has been shot and is dead... This - relates Pål Anders - has a little to do with the "madness" of this whole thing we do...?!?! The driver chooses to drop off PÅL who hitches a ride further with somone else, meanwhile the driver turns to talk with the police and probably return to where his dead brother, the 4 other guys and Pål Anders bike is still. And just where, sometime he will see his bike again is unsure...

So... a strange day that concludes DAKAR 2014 for Pål Anders part. Hopefully a return in 2015, be in the immediate future will his focus be aimed at other races and family. Pål Ander is deeply dissappointed, but at the same time says "that's racing".

pål Anders will be in South America the next few days to meet sponsors who have undertaken a tour to visit the rally (EDIT VIP rest day probably) , as well as support Francisco Arredondo and the rest of Team Ullevålsäter.

As yet I have not seen any info on Påls recovers bike or if in fact there had been a shooting.

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #1988
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,112
The wee hours of the morning Day 3 starts - liason 292 kms

05:46 local Argentine time now and all the Moto competitors (should all be) on the way via the 292 km liason towards the SS3 start DSS...

Bon chance everyone... good luck today, may the f5'ers give you support on the marathon...

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #1989
Safariaddict
Safari 2010 FINISHED

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye View Post
Anyone notice the different Termignoni mufflers on the HRC bikes ??
Hey Rallye when you going to do another Dakar. You're 1st time effort at Dakar finishing 38th wasn't it. I still remember 2007 safari day one not a good day ?
Safariaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 AM   #1990
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariaddict View Post
Hey Rallye when you going to do another Dakar. You're 1st time effort at Dakar finishing 38th wasn't it. I still remember 2007 safari day one not a good day ?
Day 1 safari 2007 was not a good one for a few people
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #1991
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Where do you find these??
Extrapolate from the graphs. If the scales are OK then they should be close to reality...
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #1992
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 161
Yesterday there were rumours of todays route being shortened by 100km? S'true, s'not true? If true, what bits have been cut out?
SteveDennehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #1993
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariaddict View Post
yes I got 38th ,and was totally happy with that ,I have thought about another Dakar ,its not out of the question.
I had another "bad day" 2 months ago ,dislocating my shoulder and breaking my humerus ,which isn't very humerous as anyone whos broke that knows!!!
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #1994
daryl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Yesterday there were rumours of todays route being shortened by 100km? S'true, s'not true? If true, what bits have been cut out?
looks like the start is delayed to 09:50, comparing http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/s...kes-hours.html with the timetable in the first post:
daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #1995
Safariaddict
Safari 2010 FINISHED

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Day 1 safari 2007 was not a good one for a few people
Yes Agreed a few riders did get excited on day 1
Safariaddict is offline   Reply With Quote