User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #2011
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,054
Eek Who f5arted...?

Well that certainly made the place go quiet...

25 minutes and not one post... f5 f5 f5 f5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #2012
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Collision with a quad. He's a bit battered apparently and went to hospital but is ok, and gutted of course.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #2013
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Well that certainly made the place go quiet...

25 minutes and not one post... f5 f5 f5 f5...
We're all too bloody busy trying to catch up....
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 AM   #2014
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
So Troy today and tomorrow are marathon stages ? Does your crystal ball extend to tomorrow ?

Maybe explain what specifics the teams do in pre marathon preparation ? What bits get changed?

What's the weather doing and what will that mean to the race ? (Rain?) altitude ?

Can you change tyres mid way through a stage if time permits or is there no time typically ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #2015
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Okay then, the first two day’s was kids stuff… let’s see how the old school crystal ball-fu is working today.
The first ten riders each separated by two minute start intervals… multiple off piste WP’s and navigation today… yesterday afternoon was a good warm up, but possibly the first “real” difficult nav to be done today?
Aliens Despres and Coma leave the DSS in pos 10 and 9 respectively.
Ahead of them they have three savvy/experienced Dakar navigation riders; Casteu (pos 7) Duclos & Faria (pos 5 &4) lesser navigation experts Gonk (pos 8) and Chaleco (pos 2)
Grabbo (in pos 6), BamBam (3) and Sundersam (1) are the questionmarks?
So… IF the stage becomes a waypoint hunt at some stage… I would expect (hey it’s voodoo… not a science) that Despres and Coma move forward… maybe Gonk savvy enough to coat tail them?
Casteu would likely catch Grabbo… they maybe even collected by the Aliens on the way through?
Faria and Duclos could well move to the front together with Barreda, Chaleco and sam… if they are at all hesitant compromised…
So… Coma/despres could well get back 6 to 8 minutes today on the leader total… the leaders go back 4 to 6 minutes…
Ummm… I predict an Alien in position 3 or 4 in the general classification by tonight.
Chaleco is my bet for the stage win.
So many questions, so little time. The batten is changing hands, or, it has for me already.

Go Sam
Go Ben
Go Shane..

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #2016
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
So Troy today and tomorrow are marathon stages ? YES Does your crystal ball extend to tomorrow ? No, I'm getting old... my balls need 24 hours to reload.

Maybe explain what specifics the teams do in pre marathon preparation ? Just clean the airfilter probably What bits get changed? Everything that's allowed in the rulebook.

What's the weather doing and what will that mean to the race ? (Rain?) altitude ? should be around 30 degrees C during the mid stage and 10% chance rain 10% humidity sunny with slight cloud

Can you change tyres mid way through a stage if time permits or is there no time typically ? No time and not premitted on marathon stage in any case.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #2017
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Can you change tyres mid way through a stage if time permits or is there no time typically ?
You can't change tyres during a single stage - but feasibly you could between the two halves/days of a marathon back to back stage.

The problem would be getting a new tyre - without your service assistance team there to carry one for you.

I know that the Marathon bivouac last year had the ELF truck there to provide fluids etc for the riders (in much the same way as they do every night for the Malle Moto guys) - but I'm not sure if this year that will extend to Michelin for example having a truck at the marathon bivouac...?

To be honest, if they do I personally think it would be a bit of a swizz - the whole point of the marathon stages is to eek out as much from you bike (and it's tyres) as you can over an extended distance/time period...

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Bivouac tonight - and what the interpretation of 'marathon' is these days... traditionally you really ought to have your bike put in parc ferme the moment you arrive (and all you do is eat and sleep), but certainly last year they allowed riders to perform service work on their machines outside of the clock running...

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 02:41 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:37 AM   #2018
ianofmcmillan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Do we think the WP timing will be working today? Should make it a lot more interesting to follow. Some people said that it normally doesn't work until day 3/4... fingers crossed.
ianofmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #2019
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
So many questions, so little time. The batten is changing hands, or, it has for me already.

Go Sam
Go Ben
Go Shane..
Shane took a bit of that batton to the solar plexis yesterday... that's his "welcome to DAKAR" day... let's see how he handles today and tomorrow?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #2020
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Shane took a bit of that batton to the solar plexis yesterday... that's his "welcome to DAKAR" day... let's see how he handles today and tomorrow?
Shane is on a steep learning curve and is doing the best he can.
I see he handed it back to Sam and Ben..

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #2021
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 165
via FB:
David Reeve's Zambia Dakar 2013 Challenge

Good Morning Zambia. I have a little data connectivity at long last so having packed up the RV and getting ready to leave for San Juan, I thought I'd just send a quick update.

David is cheerful. He has had a touch of the Flu but seems to had got rid of it now. He left about 2 hours ago on the 1st day of his 2 day Marathon stage to Chilecito via San Juan. Their Bivouac tonight is a long way from ours and will be heavily guarded to ensure that the riders don't get any Assista...nce from their teams.

Yesterday was carnage for all the classes with quite a few withdrawals as we understand. You will have seen the posts about it.
David and I had a long chat after he finished his Road-book preps last night.
The Plan is simple. He will consolidate his place during the 2 day Marathon stage, not pushing it.
Don't expect any major place changes please, The aim is to preserve the bike and get through the Marathon stage in 1 piece. We also know that David gets stronger the longer he is in the race. He has the stamina. He ate well last night which he needed to do as he was physically drained when he came in. Food here in the Bivouac is very good.
Scott Spears and Jaime Valdez from FRR are doing an awesome job on David's bike. She is running sweet. They both have a good relationship with David and are very pleased with his attitude and feedback to them.

Well must go. Thanks for all your support. I managed to get on FB in the Bivouac last night, to show David the support you guys are sending him, it had us both a bit emotional. (show him his thread, it'll have him blubbing like a baby) He was so Chuffed that you guys are sending all the messages.

It lifts David seeing that you are supporting him so much. Thanks again.

Out for now, will try to send some pics asap, maybe vi Norman on Email.

CB2
SteveDennehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #2022
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I reckon Darryl has a future as in interviewer.

http://ewn.co.za/Media/2014/01/06/Da...an-van-Niekerk

yes, deffo. did you hear/see his expert commenary on the erzberg live coverage the other year. excellent.

OT. how do i see/read light/white text when trying to keep up to speed on tapatalk??

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #2023
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianofmcmillan View Post
Do we think the WP timing will be working today? Should make it a lot more interesting to follow. Some people said that it normally doesn't work until day 3/4... fingers crossed.
The one thing you can count on about the ASO official "live" timing (at least the waypoint tracking) is that you can't count on it.

The POSIS (manually entered data... usually in conjunction with the CP's (control point/check points) is generally the only hardened fast time you can rely upon.

When they get all intervall timing points on the DAKAR working (and it seems less frequent these days than in the past? strangely enough) then the f5 collective use this to create their "virtual" picture of who is where on the piste relative to each other... a "minds eye" version of what the irritrach graphic (still use on other events) depicts.

Alas for some reason (an we might have been a contributing f5actor BTW ) for reasons known to themselves, ASO have ceased using the irritrack plotter/graphic as part of the DAKAR coverage... since a couple years back.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #2024
nry

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Okay then, the first two day’s was kids stuff… let’s see how the old school crystal ball-fu is working today.
The first ten riders each separated by two minute start intervals… multiple off piste WP’s and navigation today… yesterday afternoon was a good warm up, but possibly the first “real” difficult nav to be done today?
Aliens Despres and Coma leave the DSS in pos 10 and 9 respectively.
Ahead of them they have three savvy/experienced Dakar navigation riders; Casteu (pos 7) Duclos & Faria (pos 5 &4) lesser navigation experts Gonk (pos 8) and Chaleco (pos 2)
Grabbo (in pos 6), BamBam (3) and Sundersam (1) are the questionmarks?
So… IF the stage becomes a waypoint hunt at some stage… I would expect (hey it’s voodoo… not a science) that Despres and Coma move forward… maybe Gonk savvy enough to coat tail them?
Casteu would likely catch Grabbo… they maybe even collected by the Aliens on the way through?
Faria and Duclos could well move to the front together with Barreda, Chaleco and sam… if they are at all hesitant compromised…
So… Coma/despres could well get back 6 to 8 minutes today on the leader total… the leaders go back 4 to 6 minutes…
Ummm… I predict an Alien in position 3 or 4 in the general classification by tonight.
Chaleco is my bet for the stage win.

When the question was first asked I had a look at the standings but thought
"I'm no kniggit"
But I did pick , step up Alain Duclos
The key is not to over analyse hey I may just have a gift you never know...
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #2025
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
When the question was first asked I had a look at the standings but thought
"I'm no kniggit"
But I did pick , step up Alain Duclos
The key is not to over analyse hey I may just have a gift you never know...
You are new here... are'nt you??

Quote:

Quote: