Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Withdrawal dakar.com list

[FREDERIC MILLET (FRA)

MotoXplorers.com
Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #2087
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 368
Not a good stage yesterday for Italian riders. News are from worldrallyraid.com and its twitter page
Withdrawal:
Botturi (yesterday was stuck in the dunes with broken clutch)
Seminara (has been recovered in the medical tent but no major injuries)
Toia
Talini
De Filippo

auguzt screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 06:15 AM
Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #2088
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #2089
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Quoted for today. They probably started at WP3 and we'll have the first news at CP1/WP4. We'll see if any waypoint goes live today.
  • 10:06 Bikes: 10 minutes behind the leaders

Beyond the Top 10, the fight will be a close one this Tuesday. Whilst David Casteu (KTM), who started the special at 10.02 AM local time, occupies 10th place ahead of Jordi Viladoms, the two men are separated by no more than 2 minutes… 2 minutes further back, 12th place is occupied by Juan Pedrero Garcia, 8 seconds in front of Olivier Pain. Grouped within a 9 minute bracket, the pursuers up to 20th position are an active threat. Helder Rodrigues, 17th, or Michael Metge in 18th could take advantage of this mountainous special stage.
  • 10:02 Bikes: The bikes start the special

The bike special started at 9.50 AM local time. Yesterday’s winner, Sam Sunderland kicked off proceedings along the tracks that will take the bike and quad riders to Barreal, where their bivouac this evening is located. Behind Sunderland, the leaders of the general standings, Francisco Lopez and Joan Barreda Bort will be followed by Ruben Faria and Alain Duclos A watchful eye should also be kept on Marc Coma and Cyril Despres in 8th and 9th place, who will be setting off in several minutes.
  • 08:33 : Modification of the day's route

Due to the severe weather of the last few days, the special section the third stage has been shortened: the bikes and quads will start from the 130 km point on the original route. The start time has also been put back to 9.50 AM local time. The cars and trucks will set off from the originally planned start, but will finish after 222 km instead of the 245 km originally planned.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #2090
bearorso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Paal Anders has a developed sense of possible dangers through 12 Dakars, and while the official DNF reason is engine malfunction - I know him to be cautious and down to earth.

If he felt the urge to leave his bike like that without possibly after having drained the battery after several restart attempts ( or whatever) the blokes showing up on the scene must have evoked a bad feeling right there and then.

He took with him three of the vital components from the electronic gear package to salvage most possible, but he's a robust and well trained guy not acting so without good reason.

The situation there obviously didn't leave room for much else.

All alone in the boonies surrounded by strange people you instinctively sense are not being positively helpful spectators, you get outta Dodge the fastest way possible.

Hanging around in that neighbourhood with 5 not trustworthy people in 40 degrees heat must have left him choiceless.

He's professional and experienced enough to activate the emergency button on the bike and communicate with ASO through the bike comms ;-)

As he said; that was not a place to hang around.

Not for a moment did I doubt Pal had a very good reason for abandonment, my 'mass halucination' line was a sarcastic comment on what I realized was a 'PC' / Non controversial 'story' applied to the sad, and scary event on the Dakar site. Not good, and it might just encourage others to try their luck. I hope ASO - well the Authorities, can nail the bastards to the wall.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #2091
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Africa Eco Race!

Bit quiet in here at the moment!
Why not head over to the Africa Race thread and see the updates I've put up as they head in to real Africa!
Nice piece on Tony's dad Thomas Schattat hanging in there with no assistance!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #2092
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Let's hope Paals bike shows up later. These strange people might need the salvage money off the bat, and we shouldn't be surprised if somebody will approach either ASO or Team Ullevålseter with a "reasonably negotionable offer"
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 06:11 PM
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #2093
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
In 2012 they marked tires on the marathon stage with little adhesive strips, that touched both tire and rim. They inspected them to make sure every competitor still had them at the end of the day.

Here is where a water carrier will be relevant, I actually caught Faria in 2012 as he was taking care of a tire for Cyril. They will be swapping tires tonight in the bivouac...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #2094
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Dakar Rally: Stunning Photos From Endurance Event

Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #2095
cvlighthouse
keep it in your pants!

Oddometer: 824
Great stuff, Troy!

You've got me on the edge of my seat and stage 3 hasn't even started!

A big thanks to Hogwild for giving us previews of what the route looks like. I always wonder if your maps somehow make it Into the bivy prior to the start of the stage.

Scotty, thanks for the explanation of what happened to Peter's bike. Please let us know if Pedro calls in again and if there might be some photos out there of the carnage.

And a big thumbs up to the mods, baldy and everyone else who has contributed!

Commence F5ire hose!
....look for a blue Samurai with a crazy gringo holding a big #167 sign! *No animals were harmed during the making of this post...
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #2096
bearorso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Didn't that sort of thing, happen a bit in the African Dakar? Bikes being taken for 'ransom' ( my quoting of F650Dakar Norway's post didn't seem to work) . Wasn't one of the big examples of that a leading car's being 'taken' ?

It would be a terrible shame if that were to start to happen in SA. It's seems to have been such a great thing for the event to be there. And it is obviously tremendously popular there, too.

bearorso screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 06:29 AM
Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #2097
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Etienne Lavigne in charge:

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #2098
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #2099
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
SO, did anyone get shot in Pals incident? I hope not. E'nuff of that shit!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #2100
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Looks short and deep. Cool shot!
Closed Thread