User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
lopealong OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
990 cutting out

my 2010 adventure was cutting out when trying to engage 1st gear,but not every time.thought it must be the sidestand switch so replaced that,no difference.While sitting on the bike with the motor going I've came to the conclusion that the bike was cutting out every time l turned the handle bars to the right,regardless if the bike is in gear or not.checked for pinched or loose wires,at this stage cant see any obvious faults.Any other owers came across this
lopealong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 389
I had this… twice

This drove me nuts for a few weeks. I finally tracked it down to a broken wire. The wire which leads from the ignition switch to the wire bundle area behind the head tube (under the storage area), was the culprit. You can see the busted green wire in this photo:

photo Brokenwire1.jpg

I had to split the black casing covering the green and orange wires to find it.

photo IMG_0679.jpg

This part is the bottom of the ignition switch (where you put your key), under the top triple clamp. Even though you can easily remove this part from the ignition lock, you can't buy it alone from KTM. You have to shell out $300 for the entire ignition module to get this piece.

So my neighbor soldered it back together for me, and the next trip out, it did it again. I re-examined the broken wire, and it had broken again at the end of the solder. Apparently soldered wires can be brittle. Not good for this wire that is constantly flexing with every turn of the handlebars. I cut out the soldered area, and replaced it with a butt connector. I am sure the electrical gurus out there are groaning, but it has been working great for over 5,000 miles with some decent off-roading, so I am good with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealong View Post
my 2010 adventure was cutting out when trying to engage 1st gear,but not every time.thought it must be the sidestand switch so replaced that,no difference.While sitting on the bike with the motor going I've came to the conclusion that the bike was cutting out every time l turned the handle bars to the right,regardless if the bike is in gear or not.checked for pinched or loose wires,at this stage cant see any obvious faults.Any other owers came across this

Putting miles on the tires!

Grayjet screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 06:42 PM
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
lopealong OP
Adventurer

Thanks Grayjet,l Think your on the right track .l just went and jiggled the wiring harness from the ignition switch with the ignition on and sure enough it starting going on off on off.I'll pull it apart tomorrow and have a better look
Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,728
The OEM part has a tie wrap at this point.

The tie wrap keeps the cables sharply curved but still, so there is no flexing movement that would finally cut the cables.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post

This part is the bottom of the ignition switch (where you put your key), under the top triple clamp. Even though you can easily remove this part from the ignition lock, you can't buy it alone from KTM. You have to shell out $300 for the entire ignition module to get this piece.
I had the same problem and for 2013 KTM now shows you can buy just the switch part, which included the immobilizer switch, but not the lock, for about $100. 60111066050 INSERT IGNITION LOCK.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Grayjet
Ride on!

Nice!

Hey, that's good to know; thanks for the info. I'll bet it is the exact same part for both years, though the 2 parts schematics are different (at least the schematics at Rocky Mountain ATV & MC are different).

Cheers,
Lance

Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
lopealong OP
Adventurer

green wire

Finally got a chance to have a look at the wiring{Christmas held things up}.sure enough,the green wire had split right on the bend,exactly the same as in the picture.dont know if this a common problem,mine has 63k on it.thanks for the info,no way l would have found it myself.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Grayjet
Ride on!

You're welcome

Hey, Lope. Glad to help. I'm not sure how frequent it is, but I only had about 10k on mine when it broke. I had to get towed out of the woods by a TW200. Now that was humbling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealong View Post
Finally got a chance to have a look at the wiring{Christmas held things up}.sure enough,the green wire had split right on the bend,exactly the same as in the picture.dont know if this a common problem,mine has 63k on it.thanks for the info,no way l would have found it myself.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 349
Laugh Pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
Hey, Lope. Glad to help. I'm not sure how frequent it is, but I only had about 10k on mine when it broke. I had to get towed out of the woods by a TW200. Now that was humbling.
Now that is just funny. Got any pictures?

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
KtmPedro220
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Good to know.
KtmPedro220 is offline   Reply With Quote