Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #76
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
as long as they are fast & the racing is close
The racing may get a little closer. It looks like the driver will have a better view of the area between his car and the car just ahead and may be able to tuck in just a little closer in places like Monaco...
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #77
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,306
The tall nose took a long time to grow on me, I prefer the new direction, thou hi wish they used Big n little tires like the old days
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #78
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
Remember the "Walrus"?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #79
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Goo goo g' joob
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #80
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Remember the "Walrus"?

Ok, now that was ugly.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #81
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanzoSteel View Post
Ok, now that was ugly.
Worse than ugly, it was not competitive. The team ditched the walrus nose mid-season.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #82
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,182
there's not enough testing

um... we're gonna miss testing...

Quote:
Lotus, fourth-place finishers in the 2013 constructors’ championship, will not attend the first official test of 2014 in Spain at the end of this month, the team have revealed. Instead their new car, the E22, is expected to debut at the second test in mid February in Bahrain.

“We’re going to keep our car under wraps a little longer than some other teams,” said Lotus technical director Nick Chester. “We’ve decided that attending the Jerez test (on January 28-31) isn’t ideal for our build and development programme.

“We are likely to unveil the car before attending the Bahrain tests, and in Bahrain we should really be able to put the car through its paces in representative conditions.”

With wide-ranging regulation changes being introduced for 2014, all teams face a particularly intense pre-season development schedule this year. But despite the later introduction of the E22, Chester insists work on the new Lotus is progressing well.

“Our E22 development programme has been ongoing for over two years and it has been illuminating watching it grow,” he said. “The backbone of Enstone is strong and we are relishing the challenge of the new season ahead. From our perspective the figures look promising and development has been positive.

“That said, we are very much working with very little idea of what the other teams are doing. This is the first year of radically different regulations which means that all teams are developing their cars along potentially quite different avenues. It’s fascinating for us engineers and I hope it is fascinating for the fans too. We think we have a very good solution to the challenge and hopefully this will be seen when the E22 turns its wheels in anger.

“We’ve made very good progress with the various homologation tests which took place before Christmas including chassis squeeze and side impact loading tests as well as the rear crash structure, meaning we just have the nose test to complete the car’s homologation.”

With former lead driver Kimi Raikkonen having moved to Ferrari for 2014, Lotus will field a revised line-up this season, with Romain Grosjean partnering new team mate Pastor Maldonado, formerly of Williams.

“We’ve undertaken chassis fits for Romain and Pastor,” confirmed Chester, adding: “Certainly, our partners who have seen the car have reported themselves to be very impressed with the layout and various solutions to the new technical challenges.”

The second pre-season test of 2014 takes place in Bahrain on February 19-22, with a third and final session scheduled for February 27-March 22, also in Bahrain. The first Grand Prix of the year, in Australia, is on March 14-16.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #83
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
One of the hot topics for this year is Fernando v Kimi at Ferrari.
Since both have been around for a while now, we don't need to wait for the season to start to choose a favorite. So let's get the ball rolling.

I suspect Alonso will be slightly stronger initially, but Raikkonen will outscore him by season's end.

In any case, we should see an epic battle.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #84
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
One of the hot topics for this year is Fernando v Kimi at Ferrari.
Since both have been around for a while now, we don't need to wait for the season to start to choose a favorite. So let's get the ball rolling.

I suspect Alonso will be slightly stronger initially, but Raikkonen will outscore him by season's end.

In any case, we should see an epic battle.
well I like Alonso, but I'm a Kimi fan.
So I think if the car is OK to good, Kimi will out-score Alonso by the end of the season
if the car is crap.... Kimi will pretty much stop driving it by mid season much to the derision of the media

go KIMI

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #85
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
I'm a Kimi fan also, but I think Alonso can consistently get more out of any car, especially a car that is off-song. I expect the Ferrari car to struggle mightily - of the top teams, Ferrari has consistently has been the least nimble and able to adjust to changes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #86
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'm a Kimi fan also, but I think Alonso can consistently get more out of any car, especially a car that is off-song. I expect the Ferrari car to struggle mightily - of the top teams, Ferrari has consistently has been the least nimble and able to adjust to changes.

- Mark

Pat Fry agrees with you:

Quote:
Formula 1 teams have a 'massive opportunity' to get their 2014 car designs wrong, reckons Ferrari engineering director Pat Fry.
There are just three weeks left before the first pre-season test starts in Jerez, ahead of the biggest regulation change in recent F1 history. Although much of the focus has revolved around the 1.6-liter turbo V6 engines, teams also face headaches in terms of new aerodynamic rules and dramatically different cooling requirements.
It is the area of cooling that Fry thinks will be especially tricky to get right, and any team that does not get it spot on straight away could be in for a tough time.
"I think it is one of those years where you need to be developing your car rather than fixing cooling problems," explained Fry. "At the start of each year when you get the cooling wrong, a huge amount of resource goes into fixing radiators, bodywork and everything like that.
"I am sure we have done it here [at Ferrari] in the past and we've done it at my former team [McLaren] in the past, where you waste the first couple of months. With the 2014 changes it is going to be even more dramatic, and the opportunities for getting it wrong are going to be massive.
"Hopefully, we have got our sums right, but there will be a lot of people scratching their heads in January."
The likely varied cooling needs among the manufacturers, and different philosophies of how best to approach those demands, have left Fry in no doubt that each team will likely produce very different looking cars this year.
"Cooling is always going to be a challenge with the level of cooling that next year's car needs, and trying to integrate physically that much stuff into the car in a neat package is quite challenging," he said. "I think it will be interesting and there will be some dramatic differences in cars for once. Some people will be pretty busy I think."
Fry adds that the narrower front wings and aggressively curved endplates will also prove tough to get on top of.
"The front wing and the way you deal with the endplates needs to be different," he said. "It is a bit like when we went wider on the front wing [for 2009]. It was a disaster to start with but then you get on top of it."

This article originally appeared in Autosport.com

Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #87
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,845
I like drastic rules changes because they make the season completely unpredictable. Throw out last year's form.

We really can't predict who, if anyone, will make the killer decision which gives their car a big advantage and forces the others to play catch-up.

Testing may or may not tell the story. It usually doesn't. We have to wait until Match 16 and Australia.

As for Ferrari, the big variable isn't driving skill. They're both really good and have wildly different styles. The issue is Alonso's temperament. Can he handle a strong teammate better than he did at McLaren? He claims Ron Dennis broke promises at McLaren and that's why he spun out of conrol. Maybe, maybe not. But the way he responded raises big questions about his mental constitution. I have my doubts that he'll be at his best when Kimi gets equal attention and results.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #88
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg View Post

um... we're gonna miss testing...

That was a lot of words to dance around "Our car isn't built yet".
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #89
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Lotus won't show because they are probably afraid of Kimi's Lawyers padlocking their Garage for Non Payment of Debts.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #90
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlogs View Post
Lotus won't show because they are probably afraid of Kimi's Lawyers padlocking their Garage for Non Payment of Debts.
Wonder if Maldonado knew his millions wouldn't get him that test.