Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #2776
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Any truth to the rumour I just heard that the Orga might drop the timing on the last 100kms because of all the chaos and lost riders?

Doesn't seem very fair to me when all the lead bikes have bust-a-gut to get to the marathon bivouac in good time tonight...

Isn't this meant to be a navigation rally?

Discuss.

Jx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
If it is true it is just pathetic....
Agree with all the above. It is a navigation rally, there are a number of riders who navigated the course as per the roadbook and GPS... it does not appear that it was a case that ALL got lost/compromised and by "dumb luck"/50% chance managed to make the correct route? (In which case there is room for debate... but F5%&in' hard to arbitrate. Calling the times in at CP2 is one thing, but what about the order of merit?! (Distances covered). As it opens the whole - Yebbut I only lost my chain (DNF'd) AFTER the CP... so I should be re-instated - argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Maybe it comes down to whether or not they feel the error was the riders or inaccuracy/confusion in the roadbook?

On the whole I agree that is should stand as it happened.
Agree... It is much like tossing out all the times after mudgate... it created an inequity for all the people who negotiated or coped with the inherrant "X factor" that rallying entails.

If they wipe the times after CP2, the ASO might as well take the road books, GPS (and headlights for that matter) off the formula 450's, put MX # plates on the front and run 14 Baja/Hare and Hound events in a row... hey, let the guys trailer the bike's from bivvy to bivvy... they've already got their motorhomes and box vans down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #2777
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,955
Oriol Escale in +1h47m59s
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #2778
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Peterhansel had 6 flats in this stage....

Nasser had 4. He had 3 in the previous stage. Still he is second overall. I wonder how much gap he would have pulled without any of those.
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #2779
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
How do you manage to finish with 6 flats? How many spares does he have? Cans of Fix-a-flat? Or did he use Robby Gordon's credit card at the local Discount Tire?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #2780
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Just go here and click on every .m3u8 and .wmv you see and wait what happens.

Thanks

Works Great!

John
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #2781
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
How do you manage to finish with 6 flats? How many spares does he have? Cans of Fix-a-flat? Or did he use Robby Gordon's credit card at the local Discount Tire?
They said they were pumping air into the tires at the end
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #2782
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
Or did he use Robby Gordon's credit card at the local Discount Tire?
If Peter maxed it out, that would explain Robby's credit problems.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #2783
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
If Mudgate taught us anything it's that trying to second guess ASO is nigh on impossible. A cynic might note that no French riders were amongst the groupetto that lost big time today. I'm sure that'll have no influence on the decision to change the results (or not).
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #2784
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
They said they were pumping air into the tires at the end
Won't the guy running the bicycle pump get dizzy doing that?
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #2785
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Kevin's wife and I don't know how it's going regarding timing out, but Kevin is working on trying to fit somebodys used tire.

We don't know what happened to his help. They were headed to him 4 hrs ago :( Where is my darn husband?? We were told it was 1-2 hrs to get to Kevin.

I'm starting to think I'm getting to old for this Dakar stress.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #2786
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692

Dakar Stage 3, Marathon Day 1: Barreda wins with altitude record

Today's stage, part one of the first marathon stage with no team service, was characterized with the highest ever racing altitude in Dakar history. Facing the 6.960 m summit of the Anconcagua, americas highest mountain, the motorcycle riders had to cross a pass at over 4.300 m altidute in trial conditions. As many riders are still on the way or got lost,
Joan Barreda showed his brilliance in riding technique and navigation skills by winning the stage in front of Despres and Coma, increasing his overall lead to over 13 minutes, winning his second stage in three days.
Paulo Goncalves, together with a group of other riders, including his HRC team mate Sam Sunderland, arrived with over 2 hours delay, as the went downhill in a wrong canyon and could not go up again.

Joan "Bang Bang" Barreda: "Today was really unbelievable, the conditions extreme in any direction. After the stage started, I could soon pass Chaleco Lopez, and followed Sam Sunderland in the riverbeds until he took a wrong turn. Opening the track, the uphill sections got more and more steep and extreme. In trial-type conditions, I had to stay fullgas in second gear to make the steepest sections and keep it all together to make it over the loose rolling stones. It was very exhausting in the extreme altitude, and I needed to stay very calm to not make mistakes. As I was over the highest point, the navigation downhills was getting very delicate, with many changes of directions and possibly wrong ways to follow on very steep trails. I stopped and made sure doing the right way several times, and and the end it payed out to keep a cool head. The last part down in the valley was more easy, and I opened the gas again. I think today many riders will have extreme difficulties, and I am happy I improved a lot my physical conditions training hard the last year."
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #2787
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Doubt if they will Jenny, that's what happened when I finished 9th on stage 8 last year. Everyone bleated about them dropping that check but at the end of the day, a good handful of riders navigated smart and made the finish in good time.

The Orga thought about it but said that's rallying and the result will stand. Only if everyone screws up, i.e. it looks like it was impossible will they do that IMO.

Lyndon
Hey Pyn! - You know I was going to use you / that situation last year as a classic example - as you say, those that navigate smart, ought to be rewarded - and you rightfully were!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #2788
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post

Joan "Bang Bang" Barreda: "Today was really unbelievable, the conditions extreme in any direction. After the stage started, I could soon pass Chaleco Lopez, and followed Sam Sunderland in the riverbeds until he took a wrong turn. Opening the track, the uphill sections got more and more steep and extreme. In trial-type conditions, I had to stay fullgas in second gear to make the steepest sections and keep it all together to make it over the loose rolling stones. It was very exhausting in the extreme altitude, and I needed to stay very calm to not make mistakes. As I was over the highest point, the navigation downhills was getting very delicate, with many changes of directions and possibly wrong ways to follow on very steep trails. I stopped and made sure doing the right way several times, and and the end it payed out to keep a cool head. The last part down in the valley was more easy, and I opened the gas again. I think today many riders will have extreme difficulties, and I am happy I improved a lot my physical conditions training hard the last year."
Nice work! Not fooled by someone else's mistake.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #2789
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Wow...trials riding on a Rally bike....with no O's in the air....what fun.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #2790
nry

Oddometer: 1,306
Another Aussie is in Troy o conner +2.18'13
nry is offline   Reply With Quote