Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #2956
AndreasM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
This is utter insanity. Just caught up after 6 hours of absence, and what a day it has been. On one hand, this is the kind of adventure that embodies the Dakar. On the other hand, it's almost to much at once I mean, this is just the first half of a marathon stage?!?

Hope everybody gets home safe - and that those who had to be flown out are not too badly hurt. Now I'm off to bed to catch my own rolling snowball in the making.
AndreasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #2957
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I imagine the ELF truck is there to distribute oil (and take away the old stuff)...

Interesting that this year, the ASS is directly at the marathon bivouac - therefore no chance for the service teams to tweak the bikes before the enter the bivouac like last year... However, I notice there is a short liaison tomorrow before the DSS...

I wonder if there will be eyes on the ground tomorrow to ensure noone get's new tyres (for example) after all?

Jx

Didn't somebody quote a rule change that specifically out-ruled outside assistance on marathon liaisoins?
Could just be my memory playing tricks on me, though...
TobyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #2958
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Paulo Gonçalves

"It was a very bad day that compromised my result. I made a small mistake following other drivers, we ended up down the mountain and when I saw it was the wrong way I could no longer climb to the right track. I tried to climb several times, often fell trying to climb and I damaged the bike, the road-book and navigation instruments.

"Once I saw Ruben's crash I stopped immediately and called medical care, staying with him until the arrival of the helicopter. There seemed to be nothing serious, I know he is ok and he will have to stay one or two days in hospital just for observation, "

(the mudboy incident comes to mind)
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #2959
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Moustaches at the ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Didn't somebody quote a rule change that specifically out-ruled outside assistance on marathon liaisoins?
Yes - I believe that is the case... however, that doesn't mean they won't try!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #2960
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Anyone got any news on Clayton Jacobsen #129 ?

last seen at CP1 today ?
No but I text him some encouragement about an hour ago. No reply, no idea where he is, just hope he is safe. He's been through a lot, raced Sardinia with me last year, then broke his back in Morocco, missed 2013 and worked hard to get fit and prep for 2014. He deserves to get there.

Even if he did not get my text, I feel better for trying. If he does get it, even if he does not respond, I hope it gives him some encouragement.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #2961
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
strange .....the article says the other German Jörg Majoli made it in and they interviewed him....even the Dakar site doesn't have him in yet.....
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #2962
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Who is riding Paolo Libralesso's bike? Surely not another nicked bike eh? Maybe a withdrawal and somebody else riding the bike out for him? or maybe that is him, pre-Dakar? Curious minds...
Maybe he is the guy with an helmet at the beginning of the clip...
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #2963
yardracer
stubborn cow

And the carnage has begun....

38KTM
withdrawal
3190KTM
withdrawal
347KTM
withdrawal
312YAMAHA
withdrawal
3102KTM
withdrawal
343TM
withdrawal
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #2964
yardracer
stubborn cow

Laia on fb

Hi friends!! First part of my mission for today and tomorrow accomplished. I'm very happy for my race and for my result and the overal position. The stage was very very difficult!! Too technical track!! Many people have suffered today. Tomorrow, more!! Goooooo!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #2965
nry

Oddometer: 1,197
Text from Robbo puled from his FB page.

"Today was the toughest day of my life!!! It's extreme." He also said "It's boiling, it's dusty, my arse is raw, coping ok I guess."
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #2966
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post

The only time assistance crews can help a racer on liaison is when the assistance route and liaison are the same.

They didn't change the rules this year just made the two route different.

Why some teams have, in recent years, been allowed to show up at the marathon camp is beyond me...they must have found a grey area in the rules or something?

Now....the big teams have "ghost" cars. Support crews that aren't registered and are not allowed in the bivouac. These ghosts can and do help factory riders....

Take for example Kevin. His support crew was not allowed to assist him. A ghost car could have come in handy, even though it would have been against the rules to receive outside assistance.

I sometimes wonder how frustrated the aso get trying to stop the big teams from bending the rules versus everyone assuming they are simply letting it happen. Likely a mix of the two

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #2967
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
Laia on fb

Hi friends!! First part of my mission for today and tomorrow accomplished. I'm very happy for my race and for my result and the overal position. The stage was very very difficult!! Too technical track!! Many people have suffered today. Tomorrow, more!! Goooooo!!!
Laia rocks!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #2968
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
I am going through withdrawals.

Last couple of years we were all hanging in the evening waiting on Nate to post link to Neduro & Pyndon's phone calls from the rally.

Those calls would crank up the hose for at least two to three hours every night.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #2969
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,760
Julián Villarrubia Garcia

Quote:
Una dura etapa y como viene siendo normal con muchos problemas: el sistema de navegación ROTO, la bomba de gasolina rota, he estado perdido durante más de una hora completamente solo, hasta que vi cables y encontré la pista de nuevo. Cuando he llegado a meta la ASO me dice que me penalizarán por no encontrar un WP, y aunque yo dije que pasé por él, porque estoy convencido de ello, la bandera no se bajó y para ellos fue que no lo encontré. Una locurraaaaaaa de día y aún no acabó ahora toca preparar todo sin más asistencia que yo mismo y ayudar a Rafal. Mañana mássssss y esperemos que mejor!
Translation:

Quote:
An endurance stage and as it is normal with many problems: broken navigation system, the broken fuel pump, I have been lost for more than one hour completely alone, until I saw the wires and found the track again. When I reached goal the ASO tells me that penalize me for not finding a WP, and although I said that I went through, because I am convinced of this, the flag is not lowered and for them was that I did not find it. A locurraaaaaaa of day and still not finished now plays prepare everything without more assistance than myself and help Rafal. Massssss tomorrow and hopefully better!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #2970
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Hey Ludo

good to see you still pay attention here
good shots too

and glad to see you have a good rally raid roster
ahahah it's not because I retired from racing rallies that i don't care about them!! :-) I just think you must be crazy to race that stuff!!