Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #2971
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,657
Palante

Quote:
Majestic in absolute with this approach to the Andes with the track, fesh fesh (soft sand), short grass, rios 40 cm deep, this stage forced us to "climb" a elevation of 3,000 m from the halfway and go "touch" the clouds before diving towards the finish.

Wow!

Overall, the day went well, although I was a little bit slowed as I felt twice, not seriously do not worry. I also broke the chain guide. An annoyance that forced me to ride cooler. Above all, thanks to the team of Jean-Marc Fortin who fixed the exhaust pipe. Without this valuable gesture, I will have been unable to continue.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #2972
sidecarxer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Who is riding Paolo Libralesso's bike? Surely not another nicked bike eh? Maybe a withdrawal and somebody else riding the bike out for him? or maybe that is him, pre-Dakar? Curious minds...
Here I was thinking....shit, the dress code has relaxed alot on the Dakar.
So WTF??
sidecarxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #2973
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,657
Jeremias

El Matador
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #2974
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Take for example Kevin. His support crew was not allowed to assist him. A ghost car could have come in handy, even though it would have been against the rules to receive outside assistance.
Correct. I was told Scott could not go assist Kevin today in his need, or he would of been DQd....making it pointless. So they opted to give Kevin a chance, by not breaking rules and him trying to do this on his own. Which isn't looking good either. Nobody has heard from Kevin. So....did he make it out onto the special? We want to assume so. No news is good news. He was texting wife....and now he hasn't in many hours. Did he get out onto special too late? Sigh....... time will tell. Going to be a long night.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #2975
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
I am going through withdrawals.

Last couple of years we were all hanging in the evening waiting on Nate to post link to Neduro & Pyndon's phone calls from the rally.

Those calls would crank up the hose for at least two to three hours every night.
Or hanging out in the evening waiting for our 150 and Luis to pull in ;p
So quiet this year in here.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #2976
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
CYRIL DESPRES Stage 3 REPORT

San Rafael > San Juan
Connection 292 km
Special stage 373 km
Total 665 km

Just when you think the race is starting to settle down the Dakar bites back with a startling series of surprises, with difficult navigation and technical enduro terrain leaving yesterday’s rankings is chaos. The good news is that this evening Cyril Despres moves up from 8th to 2nd overall, 13’04 behind Barreda. The bad news is that Frans Verhoven’s (Yamaha Netherlands Verhoven Team) race has come to a premature end after he crashed out with a broken elbow. For his part Olivier Pain continues to climb up the leader board and is this evening in 8th place overall (at 36’33) while Michael Metge ‘did the job’ bringing home an ‘as new’ set of tyres to this evening’s marathon stage for Cyril to use tomorrow.

Cyril Despres

"Today’s special has to go straight into the Top 5 most stunning specials I have done in 13 years of racing rallies – and in that time I’ve been to some pretty amazing places! As announced, the recent rains had really cut up the first part of the special and the riding was far from easy. Then at kilometre 299 we came to this incredible 3 kilometre climb. It was a really really hard to get up and I can only begin to imagine how many riders will go out of the race at that point – and it’s not just the amateurs who are going to struggle. Then after that we rode for about 60 kilometres on stunning tracks over a series of mountain ridges, as beautiful as they were difficult to navigate. Towards the end I came up behind and past both David Casteu and Marc Coma. All in all an excellent day that more than makes up for yesterday’s disappointments."

Michael Metge

"This morning I gave Cyril my word I’d give him some ‘prefect’ tyres this evening and I’m proud to say I was able to keep that promise. I started off really slowly, perhaps too slowly, and then found an optimum pace using the ‘berms’ left by the riders in front of me so as to keep my speed as constant as possible and stay off the brakes. The other big positive from today was the route designed by David Castera, which was just amazing. Today we went to places you could only ever go on a motorcycle, preferably a trials bike, and it was a unique experience. And just to top it all, apart from swapping over our wheels, Cyril and I have very little to do to the bikes. We’ll do our road books now and then change the oil when it cools down a little."
Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #2977
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #2978
EKIN
Couch Junky Heaven

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Or hanging out in the evening waiting for our 150 and Luis to pull in ;p
So quiet this year in here.
We are still clapping.....

Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #2979
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
Fryer......

......or secret carb cleaner ??
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #2980
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Maybe there is some magic FCR juice in there.
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #2981
zolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
This could be a dumb question.
But could someone explain to me why Chaleco's number is 5?
Are the numbers given at Random? I thought at least the top 3 from the previous year where given the numbers based On Finish placement from previous year?
zolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #2982
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Overwhelming feeling I have while watching images on EuroSport is of how little of this event we experience by following the WPs, CPs, and looking at computer screens ...
They traverse such massive amount of landscape and have so many incredible situations from dusk 'till down. Every day.
It's mind bogging.
Yes, it is.

This is the part of Dakar that must be lived to really be understood. You come into the bivouac each night and it seems like you have lived a lifetime since you saw your friends last. You not only saw, but ate and breathed and felt, more landscapes that day than most people see in a year.

Further, most days, you have seen the remnants of crashes, seen someone who shared your dream, the dream you have nurtured and held more closely than anything else, you have seen their end of that shared dream crushed. Which is both heavy and light, because you have a moment of empathy and then put up a wall to keep your own dream alive. You move on and harden yourself and keep going and after a moment it seems like nothing at all. You go back to greedily inhaling landscapes and vistas and continents, going further and faster than seems possible to sustain.

It is such a cool f#cking race. Sorry to swear, but that's just the only way to describe it.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #2983
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 495
Just a comment from the peanut gallery here but maybe I know something from experience and being a scholar at this game of rally.

Joan Barreda has done the work and now the rally is his to lose. All he has to do is follow. And unless Despres and Coma team up to play a game with him, it would be difficult for either of those guys to ride 10-minutes faster then Barreda if he is keying off their navigation. He just has to follow and check and keep his bike running for the rest of the rally. So Simple! Right!!!

So many young guys get into this position ( I threw away a Nevada Rally lead of 8 minutes, idiot move!) because they forget to slow down. I hope he has good people around him to coach him. I know the Speedbrain team has some experienced guys there. He has taken the risk, now it is the others turn.

When Roma was on the bikes he was famous for getting the lead then trying to manage it, but having a difficult time most of the time.

Peterhansel owned this technique and it showed in the results.

The best part of all of this is if he does follow guys like Cyril, especially Cyril, watch them complain. But if you are a good navigator, you can play games and turn the tables. This rally, at this stage, is now down to navigation for everyone but Joan Barreda.

Good times, love to see it!
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #2984
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
I thought it was just me that was finding it a bit quiet. As others have said the Jonah/Neduro/Pyndon factor is missing plus the stress inducing awesomeness that was waiting for news of Luis or Toby. The race at the front should be amazing to witness but it lacks that personal involvement factor that I've felt the past few years. You lot on here make up for it as well of course. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #2985
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Wtf are riders allowed to swap tyres ? How is that das marathon ????
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote