ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Coastal SC rides

I'm curious what kind of riding the coastal area of SC has for riding areas or dirt roads, single track, rural stuff. I retire in a few years and we're checking out retirement areas within 30 minutes of the beach. I'm not giving up riding, in fact, want to do a whole lot more in retirement. I have an XR650l I use to explore fire roads, dirt roads, and easy single track as much as possible, Off pavement as much as possible. So what can I expect down south? Any clubs that do DS rides? How about trials? Looking forward to being able to ride more months out of the year and not stare at a frozen bike in the garage!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's 9 degrees here..........I can wait.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,190
I was waiting on some of my coastal buddies to chime in, but they're being shy. I'm about 1.5 to 2 hours inland, where there are a good many dirt roads to explore. Closer to the coast, check out the Francis Marion Nat'l Forest for its FS roads and Wambaw trail system.

These dual sport events are mostly for 450cc and under, but my husband (XR650L) and I (DR650) occasionally tackle them on 650's. They're great fun: http://carolinadualsporters.com/

Marsh Tiger and I have mapped out 400 - 500 miles with a lot of dirt roads in a big loop here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774255

The WMA's on the lower Savannah River are fun:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771909

Manchester State Park has some nice dirt roads, as does the Carolina Sandhills State Forest & Nat'l Wildlife Refuge.

Western NC/Eastern TN/North GA is not a far drive for trailering the bikes up, and will keep you entertained for many, many miles of dirt and gravel on an XRL. I've got tons of GPS tracks from rides up there (hint - search the GPS Tracks NE/SE/FL thread on here for Python423's old posts).

I see where you asked about trials and used to have a TY250. My husband and I ride vintage trials, he on a TL250 and me on a TL125. We have a practice course at our house, and mostly ride AHRMA events in GA and AL. Here's the AHRMA Southeast region's website: http://ahrmase.com/. We're probably going to hit a few ITSA events in NC and TN this year too. The Metrolina Trials club based out of Charlotte, NC is an ITSA-chartered club that holds events in NC and VA. Most of its members ride modern bikes, though. Check out the ITSA regional and national schedules at www.twinshock.org and the Southeastern Trials Riders Association, which holds events mostly in NC/GA/TN.

Come on down! Even though the high was in the low 30's today, that's very rare. Most folks in SC ride year 'round.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Harpoonalt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Excellent info Laura! Looks like you have a ton of great places to explore. I'm really looking forward to being able to ride year round. Up here the bike gets put up in October and really doesn't come back out til April.
Thanks again for the great info.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920957

This is a little South of where you may relocate but certainly doable in many respects if so inclined. I am headed there, riding the 200 miles on my G650, and looking forward to the great rides their group have put together. As Laura0107 has said, there is plenty of riding to be had in a wide range of areas in the Coastal and inland parts of the state.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote