Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #3076
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,959
One thing is for sure...it sounds like one hell of a place to have made a wrong turn into. It'd be interesting to see some video if any surfaces.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #3077
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hogwild- I know youre a guy with a job and all-- but could you locate the ravine they all went down and couldnt get back out of? It must be just on the other side of that little hill in the background
I found one of the lost bikes. When I zoomed in with Google Earth it was clearly there in the ravine.

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #3078
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I found one of the lost bikes. When I zoomed in with Google Earth it was clearly there in the ravine.

Oh yeah! good one! looks like a Honda.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #3079
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:

what is that? a 525?
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #3080
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,882
Quote:

looks kinda orange...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #3081
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Wow, definitely looks like a point of no return.

That is big country!
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #3082
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
I Know this is 205 but it was hidden in a link

– KTM Australia Report (Ben Grabham)

Just a day after logging his best ever result in the famous Dakar Rally, Australian KTM ace Ben Grabham has tumbled down the order in the fallout to a simple navigation error on day three of the race, between San Rafael and San Juan, Argentina.

Grabham was poised to again eclipse his best result in the first hour of the competitive stage after speeding into an incredible third place at Checkpoint One, 57 kilometres in.

However two hours later Grabham and three others including yesterday’s winner Sam Sunderland followed one of the lead riders in the wrong direction, causing a domino effect that would result in Grabham entering tonight’s Marathon Stage bivouac in 73rd place provisionally.

“Myself, the two Honda guys Sam and Paulo, Juan Pedrero on the Sherco and Ruben Faria all went down the wrong mountain,” said Grabham. “In the first 20 meters we knew it was wrong but it was just way to steep to get back. We tried for about an hour but it was damaging the bike too much.”

Next, KTM Factory Team rider Faria crashed heavily and required airlifting, so the Aussie, Sunderland and Goncalves waited with him for the helicopter to arrive.

“Then to get out of where we were was quite a mission,” said Grabham, “all of us had to help each other lift our bikes down rock ledges and that took us a lot of time and energy.
“I’m not happy about it but there’s not much I can do about it.”

The day’s result sees Grabham drop to 33rd in overall motorcycle classification, and as he is away from his team in the Marathon Stage bivouac it is not yet known whether he and the other riders will be credited any time for their assistance of the injured Faria.

Tomorrow, Grabham must nurse his bike and tyres a further 550 kilometres, including 352 kilometres of special stage in order to complete the Marathon Stage.

– HRC Report

Joan Barreda took victory in the third stage of the Rally Dakar 2014, and in doing so widens the deficit over his nearest rival to 13’04 minutes. This is the third straight win for Honda in three outings so far in the rally, and the second victory for the Spanish rider from Castellón, bringing his career track record at the Dakar up to seven.

Sam Sunderland, as victor of the last stage, set off from the front of the rally. The British rider from TEAM HRC held his place firmly until the arrival of Joan Barreda, who quickly took over the leadership of what was a very complicated third stage of the Dakar. Barreda stayed at the head until the race wound up in San Juan.

The second rider from TEAM HRC to finish turned out to be Helder Rodrigues who arrived home in 15th position. In spite of some setbacks, the Portuguese rider pulls back various positions and is now 14th in the overall standings. Sunderland and Paulo Gonçalves, after wait the helicopter for another rider injured, both made navigational errors and finished the special further back as Javier PIzzolito.

The riders arrived back at the bivouac, and as this is the first of the marathon legs, will find no one other than their own TEAM HRC members.

Today’s route had been reduced to 130 kilometres, as the first stretch of the special was in no condition for racing after the heavy rains of the previous week. The rest of the special covered a more normal route including some mountains zones, with hard ground and a lot of complicated handling.

One again Laia Sanz, a member of Team Argentina put in an excellent performance finishing in 20th place. Likewise, Jean De Azevedo (Honda Brasil) and Cacha Rodríguez (Honda Argentina). All the riders that Honda will shortly have bikes available for have began the rally really well.

Joan Barreda 1st 03:47’03 TEAM HRC
“This has been a really exceptional special, one like the Dakar has never seen before. Not only for the altitude but also for the hills and the steep slopes that we have had to endure. It was like a trial. In second gear, revved up, then stopping for breath before taking off again. A real trial run where you just had to try and not make any mistakes and keep up the concentration. The navigation was really tough and at no time did I really stop to see if I was on the right path. We crossed a few rivers at the start. I caught up with Chaleco and then Sam, who I saw had taken the wrong route. From then on I did the rest of the special on my own. In the final few kilometres on the way down I was able to open the throttle until the end. It really was a difficult one for everyone.”
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #3083
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Here's a section of Stage 3 from today. Checkout the hillclimb towards the (north) end of the Google Earth track (same place as snapshot from video). The top is 4400m high (14,400ft), the height of the tallest mountain in the continental USA. This GE track is just a small portion of the whole day, but pretty amazing terrain. I mapped it last night, but didn't believe they would really go there, so I assumed I was in the wrong place and quit mapping. Now I see on video that they did indeed go there. Impressive!

Google Earth File

The heli image from Eurosprt

You can just see Bang Bang at the bottom
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #3084
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
The heli image from Eurosprt
You can just see Bang Bang at the bottom

the footage of him for this was pretty wild
he looked like he was skipping and hopping and bouncing all over the place
looked like the bike was really struggling for grip and him to stay on top of it

The screen grabs are mind boggling but
looking at the footage of Barreda riding it, I was like
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #3085
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Slogging through 50 pages of catch-up. Anybody else have a wife already melting down on Stage 3

Snowball must be getting her as well.
Now that you ask...yes I am having a meltdown ;p
Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #3086
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
what is that? a 525?
Nope, upon further zoom it looks like it's an F5.

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #3087
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Nope, upon further zoom it looks like it's an F5.

Pack Mule?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #3088
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,276
Special KM 37-42 asphalt section start: 30°32'4.68"S 69°17'4.03"W It's not showing up right in the maps, open in GE to get a better view. I have the asphalt section because of the spectator zone map.

And this is the only place I can find that matches the elevation profile for the DSS, but it certainly doesn't match the distance to the asphalt section 31° 8'12.97"S 69°28'5.80"W

Man I cannot get this route for S....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #3089
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Hesitant to post after those weighty bombs lobbed in here by NS and JL...

It seems that quite a few Dakar dreams evaporate when a sportsman-class rider gets stuck on a dune or goes down into a ravine. The fuel laden bike exhausts the rider and saps the chance to self extricate and continue.

Why not build a Christini system into your rally bike? We see videos of poor guys hopelessly and exhaustively mired on a hill. How much would those guys pay for some front wheel drive at that moment? The $5000 bucks extra that it might cost is small change in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe AWD is outlawed but i think the Yamaha system was used in bygone years.

I know it adds complexity but it can be mostly taken off for the flat stages. Even if left installed it can be run in neutral indefinitely and used only when required.
I might stand to correction here but my understanding is that there is no restriction of using a 2wd bike so long as it is homogolated.

Personally I would prefer to have one less thing to worry about. For me its more about having the ability to ride in sand and dunes. A technique that can be practiced and refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Ok, I'm back and caught up (mostly , not the video yet). But, updates from Darryl Curtis just came in. Lets see if I can link them properly.

----------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Alex Doringer San Juan - goo.gl/ctXbVw

-------------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Dave Reeve Crash San Juan - goo.gl/YdU888

----------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Glyn Hall San Juan - goo.gl/1GyhEk

-------------

Sound Clip: Stage 3 Darryl Curtis San Juan - goo.gl/1hvbUw
Great stuff Uller!!! If Rally Raidio is down we have Sound Cloud which just as good quite frankly.

I love Darryl's dark, merciless humour: "Did you want to give your other leg a break?"
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #3090
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Special KM 37-42 asphalt section start: 30°32'4.68"S 69°17'4.03"W It's not showing up right in the maps, open in GE to get a better view. I have the asphalt section because of the spectator zone map.

And this is the only place I can find that matches the elevation profile for the DSS, but it certainly doesn't match the distance to the asphalt section 31° 8'12.97"S 69°28'5.80"W

Man I cannot get this route for S....
Dammit I had the start in the wrong pos.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote