Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #3106
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

I also guess that many Europeans don't get a lot of opportunity to master dunes.
Actually the driving distance from Munich to Morocco is only about 1500 miles... not much more than for the average american to go riding dunes
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #3107
boundrybasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Any one remember where that clip of Bort on the hilclimb was from today?
Found it
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19...-san-juan_auto

boundrybasher screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 10:01 PM
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #3108
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,035
I'm not a quad guy but this story on France4 was pretty cool.

Just strap the tank on. #293 Matyas Somfai had carb/tank problems, tried fuel in a Camelback then finally strapped one of his tanks to his body to get the gravity feed -- all while towing #262 as far as he could. It was too much for his quad and finally had to leave #262 Alexis Hernandez. Alexis made it in +6:27, Matyas not past CP1 yet, probably out.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #3109
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,592
Quote:
But this is not the norm, right, that's the exception. That was when that flash flood came down right? It was a safety thing.

On on top of a big mountain on a cloudless day - maybe not so much.

If Ettienne or David Castera told me to ride somewhere, anytime I would for sure follow their directions, but not for some other guy who I don't really know. That' s just me though.
The race was shortened/re-routed today because of recent rains in the area.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Based on that precedent, I can understand why riders would follow orga direction on the fly.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #3110
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Dammit I had the start in the wrong pos.

Hehe, you and I have got have a beer sometime. with Hogwild

There would be a lot we could discuss.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #3111
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Well put, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Its all about your preparation ahead of -and management during- this event. Just like a bike engine, you need to give her some attention in the bivouac after a long day off-piste! Change the oil, give her new filter etc. If not she will blow on you and you will be on the F5 withdrawals list

Given your situation you will need to a Toby Younger and go without sleep so you can make up for lost time.
She is probably wondering what in Dakar-land is so Effing funny right now....
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #3112
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Actually the driving distance from Munich to Morocco is only about 1500 miles... not much more than for the average american to go riding dunes
I live in western Canada. Not a lot of dune action around here. I am however, only about a 12 hour drive (1100km) away from the Oregon Coast where I have done two different weeks of riding, as well as 12 hours from the St Anthony Dunes in Idaho. Planning a "training" trip there as the dunes are much bigger than Oregon. Not to mention the dunes at St Anthony are about 35km in length. Figured I would make up a few "Challenging" road books using Rally Navigator and do a few days of practice running...

I have found riding dunes is about reading the sand, picking a good line, throttle control (especially without paddle tires) and keeping your momentum. Once you loose that momentum, NOTHING is going to get you to the crest of that dune... Personally, I LOVE riding sand on a bike. Yes, it is ALOT more work than a quad, but it is so satisfying when you get it right! The other thing I love about riding dunes is you can cover ground like nothing else on a bike! Well, at least that is how I feel!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!

Brimstone screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 10:07 PM
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #3113
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
The race was shortened/re-routed today because of recent rains in the area.........
Could be, but its very unlikely the rains were in that area.

Its very arid the higher you go with the rain falling as snow which evaporates quickly because the humidy at 4,000m is very low.

Even if it did rain a lot the description I read from the riders was that they rode that ride for many kilometers before descending; you can even see that in the profile. I think the guy pointing might have been at the top and pointed in the general direction which Jan may have taken as a specific direction.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #3114
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Could be, but its very unlikely the rains were in that area.

Its very arid the higher you go with the rain falling as snow which evaporates quickly because the humidy at 4,000m is very low.

Even if it did rain a lot the description I read from the riders was that they rode that ride for many kilometers before descending; you can even see that in the profile. I think the guy pointing might have been at the top and pointed in the general direction which Jan may have taken as a specific direction.
But they've seen it before...and today did have some changes and there were tracks....

The 'fan' probably didn't know any better and was just pointing "they went that-a-way!" If he happened to be wearing a white shirt, your tired from a tough climb at elevation...

It turned out to be a critical mistake race wise for a large number of riders...

Their own fault?...sure it was.....but it seems to have also been an easy trap to fall into.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #3115
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr View Post
Yes, but one assumes that if they're being held at a CP there will be some provision that prevents actual death! I can't vouch for the accuracy of the FB post - just reporting what I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Personally, that's why I won't enter the Diabolical this year.... I KNOW I simply don't have the experience reading the sand, and certainly not riding it. So you may be onto something where someone decides to make it a true daily double and go for it despite not really knowing what's on the other side.

It's hard to say really, but the footie and the results tend to tell the tale.
You should enter, they said it was not too technical. And if it gets bad Scott will come and fetch you!

//hijack off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
What a day, and what awesome insight from the F5 crew. Thanks a bunch folks, amazing. I'd really love to be the fly on the wall when folks in the bivy are talking about Boxcanyongate. Now to look at the start time and do the math for Mountain Standard Time.... not sure I'll make it.
+1000
Its been fantastic!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #3116
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Their own fault?...sure it was.....but it seems to have also been an easy trap to fall into.
Absolutely! I was just playing devils advocate.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #3117
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Absolutely! I was just playing devils advocate.
If I ever get down there to spectate you can bet that I'll be wearing a white shirt and a semi-neatly trimmed beard!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #3118
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Hehe, you and I have got have a beer sometime. with Hogwild
The location would have to be secret and completely unknown to me, otherwise I probably would not be able to find it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #3119
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Stage 4: Whats on the menu?

Images courtesy of Uller

Its a stage over 657km long for the cars (not shown); this will be their own little marathon test.

For the bikes, I looked at Scott's amazing work, and it looks like there will be some nice long straight sections with an HP (off piste) section accross a wide plain covered with fesh-fesh and lots of rocks. hard on the wrists and very hard if you have no tyres.

59Km liaison 352km long followed by a 151km liaison

My guess is they will cut it short at the end. Either way the tyres must last another 562km

Im going to catch some zzz's see you all in a few hrs
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #3120
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
The location would have to be secret and completely unknown to me, otherwise I probably would not be able to find it.
How about in that green oasis you found in the mexican desert!
Closed Thread