ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
InvertedB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

I'm trying to get the opinion of people that live in the area for this. My wife and I started a 2-up BRP trip the end of September to the very beginning of October going South-to-North. We didn't finish the entire length due to her getting ill and ended it in some cabins near Hillsville, VA. We've now got a baby on the way due sometime in mid-June and I'd like to finish the full length ride before that time as it's a bit of a bucket list thing for me.

My question to those more experienced with the area and the road would be what the earliest I could even consider being able to do a full length ride without major concerns about snow and ice? Any info and advice is appreciated, I get the feeling between work and baby this will be a last long bike trip for a while and I definitely want to get it in before it's too late (i.e. baby is born).
InvertedB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
BaldKnob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Very small window

Your productive screwing may have screwed you. I've witnessed snow and ice on that road in April and it wouldn't be unheard of in May (thank you global warming). While nothing is impossible, I would think Momma might be a bit "uncomfortable" for a long journey, far from home and her favorite OB/GYN. Maybe a trip south to the Drag Queens of Key West could do until baby is on board. Besides, you've ridden the best parts of the BRP already.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 151
You might get lucky and pull it off as early as mid March, though it'll be cold. You'll just have to watch the weather, it's very unpredictable. I've got 2 kids and feel sure your doctor will advise against such a trip so near the end of her pregnancy. Too much to risk.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,324
I've been on it year round, but, it depends on mother nature. and as for planning a trip from Jacksonville up to the BRP in March, April or May, be prepared to change your plans.

usually the last winter storms from Hillsville, VA north are mid March. But that doesn't mean the the BRP is open at the end of March. They don't plow it and just let it melt.

From Hillsville north you get the kinda boring Roanoke VA section, then get back into some fun riding.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
InvertedB OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies and as a bit of clarification, my wife will not be accompanying me. I don't think I'd personally feel comfortable taking her along at that point and she has no appetite for it anyhow.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
B. Myers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
by April, you should be good in regards to snow/ice being gone.

I'm 30 minutes to the Peaks of Otter and about 15-20 to Otter Creek..if you want conditions closer to your departure date, PM me, be glad to give you current status.

B.
B. Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
InvertedB OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Myers View Post
by April, you should be good in regards to snow/ice being gone.

I'm 30 minutes to the Peaks of Otter and about 15-20 to Otter Creek..if you want conditions closer to your departure date, PM me, be glad to give you current status.

B.
Thanks! I'll absolutely take you up on that offer when it gets closer and dates are nailed down.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 151
btw.... Congrats on the pending new addition! Kids are great (most of the time ) and they change everything.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Live in the Hillsville VA area. Parkway closes frequently - snow, ice, wind, limbs down, fog -but state roads paralleling it are always open. The state roads are actually a lot more fun to ride and you can navigate by your nose.
Can't predict snow and ice but VA does a great job keeping our roads cleared. It's quite chilly here during the mornings in spring so plan accordingly. Yeah, the road between here and Roanoke actually is unremarkable, just winding tree covered hills - not knocking it but that's normal here.
If you have to make plans for time off now I'd say the obvious - later the better. If you're more flexible keep an eye out for a favorable weather window. Two or three weeks of warm sunny weather in March / April isn't too unusual.
PM if need specific local info.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
i don't live on the parkway but I do live in Jacksonville. i make that ride a few times a year, from 4 days to a week or more. should you like to join me, you would be welcome.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 519
I'd say April...

You can always jump down into the valley and run up rt 11, unless it is critical you can say you did the WHOLE parkway.

So many good side roads. Rt56 east and west, 311 west of roanoke, 250 west, 211. All great roads that run across the ridges not with it.

Have fun either way!

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote