ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Looking For TAT Partners - Summer 2014

I am planning to do one week on the TAT this summer, probably in June. Starting from Tellico Plains, TN and heading west. Probably Sunday-Friday on the trail. I am purchasing the maps.

My plan is to trailer my bike to somewhere near Tellico Plains on Saturday, and head out on Sunday. I think that reaching the Arkansas-Oklahoma border is a good goal for a one week trip, but if we get farther, or not that far, it's all the same to me. Then, we can rent a U-Haul at the end of the trip and trailer the bikes back to NC.

I am riding a KLX250S, and I really don't want to be heavily loaded down with camping and cooking supplies. In fact, I want to pack as light as possible. Once we get a confirmed group together, we can make sure we are not duplicating supplies, e.g., everyone doesn't need a set of tire irons on his or her bike. Being east of the Rockies, we'll never be more than about 30 miles from a motel, so I am planning to stay at a motel each night. Also I don't sleep particularly well on the ground, and I want to be able to enjoy the riding. So, it's a riding trip, not a camping trip.

I think that three or four would be the ideal number for this trip, but I'm open minded. Doctors and motorcycle mechanics get preference.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
JayWNC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I'm interested

Just saw your thread and this is something I'm very interested in. It would be a great fit for me. I've been wanting to do a full TAT run, but it's looking more and more like it will be 2015 before I could do that. In the meantime, your one week trip this summer would be great preparation for that and the time frame would be perfect for me. I have a DRZ and the bike is pretty well prepped. I have looked at stuff on this forum from time to time over the past few years, but never bothered to register until now (so I could reply to your post).

If you would like to contact me directly, my email address is jaymarlowe@hotmail.com

I would like very much to talk more in detail with you about plans for this trip.
JayWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Possible interest. I'm looking for a man-cation this summer. Depends on schedule. Best for me is June or July. I'll maintain lurker status. My ride would be a KLR650 with an offroad sidecar that I have experience thrashing off road.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
T!Mster
Lets Ride!!

Oddometer: 289
Tat

PM sent.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Thanks everyone for the interest! I am going to RDV in May, and two weeks after that is my family vacation - the last week in May.

I could possibly do the first week in June, but I would be rushing from one thing to the next and that might be a little stressful.

So, June might be a little soon to do another week off. Possibly July or August would be good, but I am open to suggestions.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,145
I've been wanting to do the TAT for quite some time now. I'm not very fond of sleeping on the ground either so sounds like fun time to me. I'd like to be considered!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
interested for sure

lucky guy that i am I am retired and can do this ride anytime it is convenient for you. I dont mind staying in a motel one bit. In addition I live in Tennessee, dandridge to be more specific. Not far from tellico plains . you can leave your trailers here also if you wish.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
AJay112
AJay112

Oddometer: 1,437
Last week of May, first week of June ?

I have leave tentatively planned for that time frame... and plan to spend it in Robinsville / T-Plains. We (2-up with Rebster on the Zombie KLR) would probably be in for at least 2 or 3 days. Ride west with the group then back East to T-Plains for a family ride.

(EDIT: Our idea of "camping" usually includes free cable TV and complimentary shower products... a mini fridge is a plus but not mandatory)

AJay
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Rdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post
Thanks everyone for the interest! I am going to RDV in May, and two weeks after that is my family vacation - the last week in May.

I could possibly do the first week in June, but I would be rushing from one thing to the next and that might be a little stressful.

So, June might be a little soon to do another week off. Possibly July or August would be good, but I am open to suggestions.
PM sent. I will be at the RDV as well. Hillside cabin. Went last year and had a great time with Hunter and Silke and the Ashville ADV folks. Great bunch .
Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,145
I predict this thread will grow legs.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
JayWNC
Adventurer

July/August

I think July or August would be a perfect time to do this. Luckily, I have a job where I can take off pretty much any time I want to as long as I let the boss know in advance. He's a pretty avid motorcyclist himself.

TylerSC: What do you think about setting up a time and place for potential participants to meet up and discuss this in person sometime soon? Would be a good chance to meet each other and share ideas, do some planning and see who's fully committed to it. You could host it at a time and place that's convenient for you.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #13
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWNC View Post
I think July or August would be a perfect time to do this. Luckily, I have a job where I can take off pretty much any time I want to as long as I let the boss know in advance. He's a pretty avid motorcyclist himself.

TylerSC: What do you think about setting up a time and place for potential participants to meet up and discuss this in person sometime soon? Would be a good chance to meet each other and share ideas, do some planning and see who's fully committed to it. You could host it at a time and place that's convenient for you.
I'm in for a meeting. I think thats a very good idea. Happily host it here if it were central enough for whomever is going.

Failed to mention I have been wrenching on bikes since 1974 . Worked for Second Wind BMW and Cycle Tech which is a general repair shop .
Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
JayWNC
Adventurer

Meeting

The other thing that could be accomplished by having a meeting is if more than 3 to 4 people show up, and everyone's committed to it, we could discuss splitting into 2 groups, possibly going at different times. That could give a little more flexibility on travel time frame. Someone would need to volunteer to be leader for the 2nd group and take it from there.

If only 3 to 4 people show up for the meeting, then you've weeded out those who aren't as committed to it and you have your group.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
Two groups could eliminate the need for a U-Haul.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote