Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #166
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
Let's see what you've got in the sand!!!
First his front tire, then followed by the chinbar of his helmet...
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #167
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Let's see what you've got in the sand!!!
Not much! Unlike the other folks here that are sandbagging and asking to be put in the back, I have some hard data that says I'm not very fast. (Two goes at Rally West Virginia) My sand skills vs other people's gravel skills might give me a one or two percent advantage in that arena, but the overall motorcycle skills still predict my clock getting cleaned in the overall.

And none of that matters because I'm doing it for the ridiculous thrill!

Anders
Old 01-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #168
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Just finished renewing my license and RSB registration! Been away from this thread for a couple of weeks and BAM! 6 pages of posts! It is great to see all the pre-race chatter and so many folks excited about going rallying. Counting days now for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
Who would be interested in a rally riding clinic on Thursday prior to the rally? Riding tips, terrain reading tips, time keeping strategies and practice, practice, practice. Cost would be around $100 for the day. PM if interested.
IN! Awesomeness!!

HT
Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #169
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,989
Laugh The thrill

Flying down a sandy road full throttle…looking down to see that you're doing about 100 MPH…is certainly a thrill. Some would say it's not wise. What do they know?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post

Anders

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #170
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by MChilton View Post
Thanks for the link, I had read a FAQs from a few years ago and was wondering if it had been updated.
A couple of other questions;
- Is a steering damper recommended, I have very little experience in the sand, and no experience on this bike (09 TE510)?
- Any favorite tires for these sandy roads?
- Is it difficult to do this solo if I don't have someone to drive a support vehicle?

Thanks,
I'm in the same situation. First time, flying solo, little sand experience. I'll be bringing my truck and trailer, so would be more then happy to share it as a support vehicle.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #171
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Not much! Unlike the other folks here that are sandbagging and asking to be put in the back, I have some hard data that says I'm not very fast. (Two goes at Rally West Virginia) My sand skills vs other people's gravel skills might give me a one or two percent advantage in that arena, but the overall motorcycle skills still predict my clock getting cleaned in the overall.

Anders
Time for somebody to dig up your onboard video of RWV 2011, classic stuff!

ok, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqtC00P17KE

I really wish I had a pic of you at RWV 2012 when you had weeds stuck in several bits of the bike after an "excursion". Video of you having to start the bike in gear due to the broken clutch cable would be good too.

All that and of course you still finished!! Rally on!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #172
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
I really wish I had a pic of you at RWV 2012 when you had weeds stuck in several bits of the bike after an "excursion".
By "excursion" you mean flying off a 10 foot cliff and landing in some barbed wire?

It was pretty hilarious, as I was 100% unharmed.

Quote:
Video of you having to start the bike in gear due to the broken clutch cable would be good too.

All that and of course you still finished!! Rally on!!!
That was the quietest rally start ever as the bike was OFF and when they counted down to zero the timing guy helped push the bike! Good strong starter motor on that Husky got it going.

Anders
Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #173
MChilton
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Lionmonster,

Sounds good, I may be able to coheres someone into coming with me, but if not we can exchange info. I'll be in a black Cherokee with the bike on a hitch rack.
MChilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #174
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
By "excursion" you mean flying off a 10 foot cliff and landing in some barbed wire?

I remember almost going off there myself. Once I saw just how scary it was I looked back to see if there was anybody down at the bottom of the hill wrapped up in barbed wire.

I still count that stage as the scariest RM stages I have done. This coming from somebody who seriously injured himself on a completely different (and less scary) stage.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #175
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,313
Quote:
I remember almost going off there myself. Once I saw just how scary it was I looked back to see if there was anybody down at the bottom of the hill wrapped up in barbed wire.

I still count that stage as the scariest RM stages I have done. This coming from somebody who seriously injured himself on a completely different (and less scary) stage.

At 20 or 23 miles it seems like it just went on forever I'm sure you remember passing me like crazy on the big hill?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #176
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,063
Quote:

That was the quietest rally start ever as the bike was OFF and when they counted down to zero the timing guy helped push the bike! Good strong starter motor on that Husky got it going.

Anders
That was SS1 of RWV 2012 and my first rally stage......I came up to that drop off and you popped up out of nowhere to give me a thumbs up and I think I shat myself, then the next turn Jason's buddy on the Honda (not Adams) is wadded up and end up with a busted ankle, then it started pouring and my odo/speedo went out. What a riot of a stage!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #177
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Thanks for the link, I had read a FAQs from a few years ago and was wondering if it had been updated.
A couple of other questions;
- Is a steering damper recommended, I have very little experience in the sand, and no experience on this bike (09 TE510)?
- Any favorite tires for these sandy roads?
- Is it difficult to do this solo if I don't have someone to drive a support vehicle?

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
I'm in the same situation. First time, flying solo, little sand experience. I'll be bringing my truck and trailer, so would be more then happy to share it as a support vehicle.
MChilton and littlelionmonster - i'll likely be solo too and would be happy to team up with you guys to share support, shuttling vehicles, etc. This is my 3rd rally so i'll be at NCO too but with a little experience under my belt. I'm happy to share/help however i can... re damper, while not necessary i really like mine... if you aren't comfortable in the sand it will make a big difference in stabilizing the bike.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #178
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Flying down a sandy road full throttle…looking down to see that you're doing about 100 MPH…is certainly a thrill. Some would say it's not wise. What do they know?!

Glad I stopped falling down in front of you when you hit those speeds! You should probably start behind me just to avoid me being an obstacle for you this year
Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 AM   #179
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
MChilton and littlelionmonster - i'll likely be solo too and would be happy to team up with you guys to share support, shuttling vehicles, etc. This is my 3rd rally so i'll be at NCO too but with a little experience under my belt. I'm happy to share/help however i can... re damper, while not necessary i really like mine... if you aren't comfortable in the sand it will make a big difference in stabilizing the bike.
Quote:
Lionmonster,

Sounds good, I may be able to coheres someone into coming with me, but if not we can exchange info. I'll be in a black Cherokee with the bike on a hitch rack.
Cool. I'll be in touch closer to the date.

Did I see something about camping somewhere? Was it in Cheraw or just close by?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #180
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Just talked to my boss and I can get that weekend off.

So I am IN