Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #781
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
You can't win Dakar on the first day but you can lose it. And he lost it on day one. But there's always next year.
True dat. But he can also get a stage win and have some redemption that way.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #782
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Well....15 bikes lost hours yesterday when a Nav error routed them down into a box canyon while the route was up on the ridge. It was so steep that they could not get back enroute.

This years course seems to be full of surprises.

This is not the kind of race where you just say "aw shucks" and throw in the towel.
4 of the top 5 drivers right now are past winners (Nani won on a bike). Stephane Peterhansel has won *eleven* times, but it's OK, he's only won in a car 5 times. The moto division isn't nearly as stacked as the cars and the riders who got caught in that nav mistake are not alien status. Those 4 past winners in the top 5 are all legit aliens and it's highly unlikely one of them makes a mistake similar to Canyongate, let alone all of them. Also lurking in the weeds outside of the top 5 is Carlos Sainz at 1:59 down, he's a very outside shot for the podium.

Realistically there's just no way 13 drivers are going to shit the bed so bad that Robby even gets a glimpse at the podium. If he wants to win this he's going to have to put up something like the time and money that Mini and SMG are pouring into their programs. No more half assed development, no more seat of the pants team management. A full, year round, development effort of car, team, and driver. That is what it takes to win the Dakar. I hope someday Robby does just that, because I love to watch him drive and I love the showmanship; but frankly this year has been a lot of show, and not a lot of go.

homerj screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 06:08 PM
homerj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #783
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
The top 4 of the top 5 drivers right now are past winners (Nani won on a bike)....
I hope someday Robby does just that, because I love to watch him drive and I love the showmanship; but frankly this year has been a lot of show, and not a lot of go.
Thank you for saying all of this without mentioning the "Flat Billers". Makes it sound more constructive.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #784
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
4 of the top 5 drivers right now are past winners (Nani won on a bike). Stephane Peterhansel has won *eleven* times, but it's OK, he's only won in a car 5 times. The moto division isn't nearly as stacked as the cars and the riders who got caught in that nav mistake are not alien status. Those 4 past winners in the top 5 are all legit aliens and it's highly unlikely one of them makes a mistake similar to Canyongate, let alone all of them. Also lurking in the weeds outside of the top 5 is Carlos Sainz at 1:59 down, he's a very outside shot for the podium.

Realistically there's just no way 13 drivers are going to shit the bed so bad that Robby even gets a glimpse at the podium. If he wants to win this he's going to have to put up something like the time and money that Mini and SMG are pouring into their programs. No more half assed development, no more seat of the pants team management. A full, year round, development effort of car, team, and driver. That is what it takes to win the Dakar. I hope someday Robby does just that, because I love to watch him drive and I love the showmanship; but frankly this year has been a lot of show, and not a lot of go.

Wow. I would say that for a privateer effort he is doing quite well. It's funny that a 3rd place in the stage isn't good enough for poor RG anymore. To take a brand new, hand made vehicle with limited engineering investment to a 2 week long race and finish is pretty amazing. To run up front, if only in some of the stages, against industry giants is phenomenal. It shows that RG really understands what a race vehicle needs to be in this particular environment. He certainly knows better than us armchair Project Managers.

It is however, fun to see these giant egos (RG, BJ) get humbled up a bit, although I would rather it be some other giant egos (Peterhansal, Al-Attiyah) in their stead.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #785
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,493
Robby has a sense of humor? Who knew?

"We cruised the whole special and to finish third is amazing. We all searched around for the way point before the transfer on the special and we missed a way point."

"Carlos missed a way point. I think Al-Attiyah missed a way point, so that's going to put us all in a really bad shape. I was already in a bad shape, so what's that saying? What's another drink of water when you're drowning? One more sip isn't going to hurt."
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #786
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Pissed

F.CK !!!!!

ONE hour penalty !!! (for missing waypoint) and stge back to 19th !!??

-but overall up to 24th anyway !!!

holymoly what a year....

GO ROBBY !!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8iRp54SxyE

http://www.youtube.com/user/izom
izom is offline   Reply With Quote