GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Yes, this is the real adventure!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #77
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
There's much more footage of the actual race, riding and driving than the dakar footage, that's for sure.

Entry fee puts me off doing it though to be honest

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #78
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
AER Update!

NEWSLETTER RALLYE SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE
Thursday January 9th 2014
STAGE N°9: AKJOUJT / TOUEILA: 309 km
SPECIAL STAGE: AKJOUJT / TOUEILA: 289 km
TRANSFERT: TOUEILA / BIVOUAC: 20 km

Even if the two dune fields of the day were not easy, this second last Mauritanian stage was not as hard as René METGE had expected it. It was actually not a bad thing as a lot of participants came in really late the day before and it really affected the caravan of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE. Except some exceptions, the majority of the 40 cars and trucks, the 20 bikes still in the race had arrived at the bivouac in the afternoon.

Bike: ROBIN comes back
As the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE goes forward, the objectives of the participants are various. Of course, Michael PISANO, which is leading in the general rankings, is doing his best to take good care of his 450 HONDA bike whereas Dominique ROBIN, second for the moment is pushing as hard as he can to get back some time on PISANO. Some bikers such as Robert THEURETZBACHER real want to stand out by doing nice performances and others like Harite GABARI or also Norbert DUBOIS just want one thing, arrive to the end of the race.

Dominique ROBIN was delighted at the end of today’s stage: “ After yesterday’s difficulties, I took a lot of pleasure today and I’m really happy to have won the stage. It makes me forget yesterday and winning is always a great feeling. For me the victory won’t be possible in my opinion, so I’ll do my best to keep my second place until the end.”

On Michael PISANO’s side, he was quite happy with his second place, 4’10 behind the winner: “ All I did all day is do my best to take care of my machine, especially for gear changes. It worked! But the problem when you use this policy is to increase errors and decrease concentration. Of course I prefer pushing, but I’ll stay as is until the arrival in Dakar."

Behind the two leaders of the day and in the general rankings, Austrian Robert THEURETZBACHER had great day once again as he finished 3rd at 4’47, right in front of Harite GABARI from Morocco, staying 4th whereas Guillaume MARTENS finishes 5th..

A little further behind, Christophe CONREAU was really lucky has he seized the piston of his engine 55 km away for the end but after waiting a while he managed to restart. The mechanics of the Team Motards du Desert are doing their best to repair for tomorrow’s stage in order to arrive to DAKAR.

Car: Father and Son FROMONT win today
In this last episode of the battles in the Mauritanian dunes, Michel TURON BARRERE was facing a quite big issue as he spent the whole day trying to get out of a bowl where he got stuck in the first dunes. It’s finally with some help, given generously by Jean Luc and Marlene VIDAL, but also with the Balai Truck that TURON BARRERE managed to get out before continuing. Except him, no real problems happened in today’s stage.

Today’s victory was for Yves FROMONT, navigated by his son Jean. The Frenchman was glad of his performance at the wheel of his VW Tarek: “ We started 17th, and as we could not see much mainly due to dust, during the first 50km, we took a parallel track which gave us the opportunity to overtake a lot of opponents. We were also very competitive in the first dune field, where a lot of participants were stuck. The second dunes field went well as well even if SABATIER overtook us. It’s nice to win after such a complicated rally.”

Once again Stephane HENRARD finishes 2nd of the day at 2’26, proving the performance of his VW Dunbee on this kind of field. The Belgian is 15 minutes in front of SCHLESSER and Gilles FLORIN finishes 4th. Jackie LOOMANS classifies 5th and strengthens his 2nd place in the general rankings in front of HENRARD.

One word concerning the long battle between Philippe PORCHERON with his Buggy and Jean Noel JULIEN at the wheel of his Megane Prototype. The fight was finally taken over by JULIEN, finishing 2’50 in front of PORCHERON.

In the rigid axles category, victory was for Remy CHAPOT on his BOWLER.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #79
barrier
Says who?

AER Update!

Truck: JACINTO and KOVACS are fighting
Tomas TOMECEK restored the order in the rankings of the truck category finishing 6th of the stage. Of course, The Czech TATRA stays on top in the general rankings, but behind the battle is still on. Indeed, Miklos KOVACS which won yesterday’s stage, was beaten back by JANCITO and her MAN taking back her second place. But KOVACS hasn’t said his last word as he is only 2’50 behind the Portuguese, so the last stage of the race should be very interesting between the two.

Mauritania takes profit of the generosity of the participants.
Since its debuts, many solidarity operations took place on the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE, thanks to very nice participants. Today, 9th of January, were given over 300 toys for the children of the School of Akjoujt, all collected by Team Motards du Desert.

Later in the same day, a truck from the organisation delivered solar panels at The Kaďma des petits kindergarden, in Nouakchott, given by team Elite Racing and The rally queen, Julia SCHRENK, accompagned by Martin FONTYN.

Friday 10th of January, the 10th stage between Toueila, in Mauritania and Saint Louis, in Senegal will be the last selective sector of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE 2014. In other words, after the 202km of stage, the rankings will be freezed and the winner of each category will be known. But only after this last straight line! Remember anything can happen in Africa.

CONTACTS

Deserts Aventures
(Mandataire d'O.C.T)
Veronique is at your disposal for any informations:

Email: veronique.caire@africarace.com
Office: +33 (0)4 93 75 24 55
GSM: +33 (0)6 70 22 68 44

Competitiors department: concurrents@africarace.com
Press department: presse@africarace.com
General informations: info@africarace.com
Travel department : voyage@africarace.com

All the information on: www.africarace.com
Crédits photos : Alain ROSSIGNOL et Jorge CUNHA

Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #80
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
There's much more footage of the actual race, riding and driving than the dakar footage, that's for sure.

Entry fee puts me off doing it though to be honest

Agreed, not a cheap rally to enter - but with Heroes Legend "on hold", how many may turn to this now it is drawing more attention and its Africa and actually goes to Dakar?
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #81
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardood View Post
Agreed, not a cheap rally to enter - but with Heroes Legend "on hold", how many may turn to this now it is drawing more attention and its Africa and actually goes to Dakar?
What is the rough entry cost- I did a quick search and did not find it?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #82
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Something around 11-12K€ is what my dad told me for the bare minimum (i.e. malle moto), all in with fuel, flights, etc.

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #83
silverstone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
entry fees

http://www.africarace.com/en/race.html

my face is laying on the pavement, tasting something awful, i hate it when that happens...
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #84
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstone View Post
Thanks, I missed that link somehow!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #85
barrier
Says who?

AER Update!

Friday January 10 th 2014
ÉTAPE N°10: TOUEILA / SAINT LOUIS: 493km
TRANSFERT: BIVOUAC / TOUEILA: 6km
SPÉCIALE: TOUEILA / GHREIDAT LIGKJOULÉ: 202km
LIAISON: GHREIDAT LIGKJOULÉ / SAINT LOUIS: 285km

SCHLESSER, TOMECEK AND PISANO

WIN THE 2014 SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE

Its between Toueila and Ghreidat Ligkjoulé, on the west Mauritanian coast near Nouakchott that the last stage of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE took place.
The last selective sector was mainly composed by beautiful dunes and sandy tracks and was a real driving pleasure for the leaders, Jean Louis SCHLESSER, Michael PISANO and Tomas TOMECEK.
Today, Friday 10th of January, the bivouac takes place in St Louis in Senegal, before joining the last stage, tomorrow, on the Atlantic Ocean shore with a mythical arrival at the “Lac Rose”.

Car: Last one for SCHLESSER
In his SONANGOL buggy this morning, SCHLESSER had in mind only one thing, win the last selective sector of the Rally he already won 6 times in 6 years. The “BOSS” didn’t fail and won on a field his knows by heart. As a result, the duo SCHLESSER – MAGNALDI win with 5’11 in front of Jean Antoine SABATIER and Denis ROZAND. The 3rd place of the day is earned by the St Cyprien crew, Xavier LORMAND and Guillaume JORDA, quite sad this year as they wanted to show more of their racing colors and potential on this event, but because of their mechanical problems, they did not get the chance to reach the podium.

Jean Louis SCHLESSER was delighted at the arrival: "The first person for who I have thoughts is of course Michael SCHUMACHER. He is a friend and I really hope he’ll get better and back on track for me to show him what is Africa Race. I want to thank all the people who have worked hard to make this event happen. I also thank Thierry MAGNALDI which has been perfect. He is a great navigator and I would advise him to any top driver. Thanks also to all of our partners, especially SONANGOL without who this whole thing would not happen.”

Few words from Magnaldi: ” I of course want to thank Jean Louis to have trusted me and given me the opportunity to be his navigator. It was a great experience to be in such a car with such a driver. I’m also delighted to be back in Africa which I cherish a lot, throughout a beautiful race with a great organization. I hope I’ll be back soon at the wheel.”

In the general ranks, Jean Louis SCHLESSER wins in front of Jackie LOOMANS and Frits DRIESMANS, winner of the T1 4x4 category, whereas Stephane HENRARD and Bruno BARBIER climb on the 3rd step of the podium and win the Open category.
Jean Antoine SABATIER finishes 4th and 2nd of the T1 2x4 petrol in front of Gilles FLORIN and Hervé COTEL, 8th in the general rankings.
Finishing 10th, Yves and Jean FROMONT win the T1 2x4 diesel category whereas Remy CHAPOT and Michael PAGET, for their first experience in Auto, classify 14th and win the rigid axles category.
The first of the T2 category, close to standard are Philippe THIOLAT and Jean Louis JUCHAULT and finish 24th in general. The first African crew, composed by Thierry MAURY and Jean Sagar MALOUF MAURY finish 35th. Philippe PINCHEDEZ and Thierry PICCO win the T3 category, dedicated to SSVs.

Truck: KOVACS all in!

Even if there wasn’t much suspense concerning the first place in the truck category as Tomas TOMECEK and Vojtech MORAVEK where untouchable with such a gap, but behind nothing was done because Elisabete JACINTOs crew was only 2’50 in front of Miklos KOVACS, Pete CZEGLEDI and Lazlo ACS. Finally the Hungarian motivation took over and the won the stage 4’03 in front of JACINTO. The Portuguese finishes then 3rd with her MAN behing the Hungarian SCANIA.

Bike : PISANO the Manager
«The stage was magnificent. I would have loved to push harder! But the priority was to win the race, but I did not want to take stupid risks. I can’t even realise I won my first rally. I think I under estimated the event’s difficulty, especially in Morocco. But I adapted myself and it worked out. I learned a lot and I’m now more experienced! I’ll be back next years with some friends! Thanks to all the members of the organization.”

These were Michael PISANO’s words and the end of today’s stage won by Robert THEURETZBACHER on his KTM. The 3rd was Gwen BACKX in front of Nobert DUBOIS and Dominique ROBIN, 2nd of the race and winner of the + 450 cc category, but unfortunately injured, falling just in front of the finish line.
Luckily he managed to do the liaison stage and arrived at the bivouac before the pain was too hard to stand. Belgian Biker Joris VAN DYCK, real performer of this edition ends on the 3rd on the podium.
The first and only African biker of this year’s edition, Harite GABARI who raced during 10 days with a painful arm, unfortunately broke his engine and finishes only 10th.
The only girl in the bike category, the beautiful Julia SCHRENK, ends her first major rally in 20th position.

Saturday 11th of January at 11 :00, will take place the awards ceremony, on a podium right next to the “Lac Rose” organized by the Automotive Sport federation of Senegal. The opportunity for the families of various participants to applaud their arrival of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE, just after the 24km long stage between Kayar and Lac Rose.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #86
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Old 01-12-2014, 03:25 AM   #87
barrier
Says who?

Final AER Update!

Saturday January 11th 2014
STAGE N°11: SAINT LOUIS / DAKAR 294km
LIAISON: SAINT LOUIS / KAYAR: 230km
SPECIAL STAGE: KAYAR / LAC ROSE: 24km
LIAISON: LAC ROSE / DAKAR: 40km

AWESOME ARRIVAL

OF THE SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE

AT LAC ROSE

Saturday January 11th, the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE 2014 arrived in Dakar after a journey of 5497km of which 2992km of selective sector . As always since the first edition in 2009, its at the “LAC ROSE” that took place the last stage 24km long and the arrival of the race from Kayar beach. The award ceremony happened directly on the podium and ended this year’s edition nicely for all of the participants.

Car: SCHLESSER 5 – SABATIER 4
Its now official, Jean Louis SCHLESSER will not try to keep his crown in 2015 on the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE. The multiple world champion announced it during the award ceremony. This is a good enough reason for him to have won the last stage of this 6th edition. So in the end SCHLESSER and MAGNALDI win a total of 5 stages whereas SABATIER and ROZAND won 4 of them and ended 3rd on this last stage.
Thierry and Jeanne MAURY of the Dakar dream team, eager to go home, ended the stage 2nd at the wheel of their NISSAN.

Truck: TOMECEK just for fun

Concerning the truck category, Tomas TOMECEK and Vojtech MORAVEK won the last one on the LAC ROSE. The TATRA for Czech Republic ends in front of the Hungarian SCANIA of Miklos KOVACS, Lazlo ACS and Peter CZEGLEDI whereas Noel ESSERS and his crew are on the 3rd step of the podium.

Bike : 5th one for THEURETZBACHER
Impressing everyone, the biker from Austria, Robert THEURETZBACHER push really hard and won the last stage long of 24km with KTM just in front of PISANO with his HONDA and Willy JOBARD riding a hybrid ZONGSHEN.

At the end of this stage, all the participants step on the podium under the official arch. Journalists and photographers were all present for interviews. Every single one of them thanked René METGE for the quality of his route throughout Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal and the organization team for the hard worked they did. A total success for the event which was diffused on channels from EUROSPORT Group and Motors TV, a guaranty for a successful future.
CONTACTS

Deserts Aventures
(Mandataire d'O.C.T)
Veronique is at your disposal for any informations:

Email: veronique.caire@africarace.com
Office: +33 (0)4 93 75 24 55
GSM: +33 (0)6 70 22 68 44

Competitiors department: concurrents@africarace.com
Press department: presse@africarace.com
General informations: info@africarace.com
Travel department : voyage@africarace.com

All the information on: www.africarace.com

Crédits photos : Alain ROSSIGNOL et Jorge CUNHA

Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #88
hatz
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Woooh.. that was awesome. Great weeks, even just watching and reporting from my home.

VIDEO's

www.youtube.com/africaecorace

PHOTOS:

Alessio was there and did really nice photography, but no website so far - he's on Facebook though! https://www.facebook.com/disodbediente

Alain worked for the organization: http://captain-nowhere.com/LIVE.html
hatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #89
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Thanks for all the updates. Really enjoyed following this one on Eurosport and on here. Absolutely gutted for the Morrocan rider #108 - so close to Dakar.
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #90
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 837
I am very determinated....

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote