Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #6361
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Laia Sanz fans should watch this. Skillz...she's got 'em.

That course seems silly.

Laia's background with Trials riding and her remarkable skills in endurance and calmness make her a great rider.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6362
misc
dakar tracker

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Ah, that's it.
I shouldn't make it to easy, otherwise the difference between official site and mine will be to big

It must stay some kind of a challenge to follow Dakar

But I'll work on it... the monitor page is clearer regarding the filters and removal?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #6363
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post

Richard seems super laid back and nothing phases him. He finished the stages a few years back with just 3 gears left
He still had two to go? Ha!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #6364
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
So There is still a wild struggle for 1st place in Malle Moto class between Dutchman Van Pelt and Saffa Cummings.

Im very partial on this one to our South African boytjie, Brett Cummings.

Today he did well (not as good as yesterday though) coming in 39th but in first place for the class!

Van pelt came in just 4:41 minutes behind him and still holds the overall lead by 1 hour and 13 minutes. This is actually very close, all things considered.

Van Pelt lies in 22 and Cummings in 29th! This is fantastically competitive.

Just to give you an idea of what class these boys are in the 3rd Malle moto competitor is Jan Nijen also from Holland a whole 2hr50 minutes behind Brett, overall, in position 49. These two have held the same overall position since day 1.

1st #67 Richard van Pelt (NLD)
2nd #59 Brett Cummings (RSA)
3rd #126 Jan Nijen (NLD)
4th #93 Richard De Groot (NLD)
5th #98 Stephane Hamarde (FR)
6th #111 Silvane Espinasse (FR)

There are no others left from the 15 who started so this year, malle motos had a DNF rate of 60% by the end of Stage 5

Consider that before you enter this class!

Respect!

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 02:11 PM
Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #6365
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Dakar 2014 - Official Event Coverage

Got into the ASS early today only to hear of Eric and others suffering so badly the past few days...

It amazes me how I can be so gutted for a person whom I only learned about this morning. How can my virtual existence following this rally affect me so deeply, particularly with news like this. It feels like a fallen brother, and I am only a mere distant spectator...

The mental toughness required to simply finish a stage must be immense. Then throw in accidents, insanely hot temps, other competitors, animals, Pointing officials, nav errors, the snowball effect and if you are lucky, being distracted following Laia for a few Km's...

It boggles my mind but I'm like a moth to light. It does not temper my desire to have a go. To challenge myself beyond what I think I can do and certainly what anyone close to me would dream I could be capable of. Do I have what it takes? Can I be that mentally tough? Can I get my 39 year old ass in good enough shape? Can I become a good enough rider to finish?

This time of year has me thinking so much I can barely sleep...

Thanks F5irehose for listening...

My name is Lee and I'm a Dakaraholic.

RIP Eric Liege

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!

Brimstone screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 02:10 PM
Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #6366
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
I shouldn't make it to easy, otherwise the difference between official site and mine will be to big

It must stay some kind of a challenge to follow Dakar

But I'll work on it... the monitor page is clearer regarding the filters and removal?
Its very clear misc, and its simple and straight forward. I love it!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #6367
jgled
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
How do you scroll to see the rest of the field below the top 15 on the site http://www.trackingdakar.nl/index.php?page=live&stand=S ?
Click the country field and in the pop up click on "clear" to clear the country filter. Should show you all.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #6368
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Richard is all about Malle Moto, so no team to support him

He must be on the only CRF that doesnt chew stators for breakfast and lunch Tell Henk Hellegers and the HT boys to start feeding the CRF bananas for breakfast like Richard does!!

https://www.facebook.com/richard.degroot.9041?fref=ts
How could I forget!?

Thanks Tehdutchie!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #6369
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
seeing the video clip posted "Dakar F1 pit stop" kind of got me laughing. Clearly you can hear spectators yelling Agua, Agua.

This was a common occurrence anytime when coming into close proximity with spectators on the stage. Being from the land of heavily chlorinated water, it has been ingrained not to drink the water from down south. The thought of being taken out by Montezuma's revenge I refrained from accepting the generosity. Ned, Pyndon and others who come from civilized cultures, with the temptations of generous people offering the refreshing fluid of life, albeit from an unsealed bottle of who knows what origin, did you drink?
Sounds like they were saying, "aguas," which I've never seen spelled, so I don't know if that's correct, but it's a form of saying, watch out, be careful. Having a bike pull into your camp "WATCH OUT"
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #6370
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Yep, took some time and a lot of effort to get there. You gotta stop calling them ICO's, cause they're not Even the KTM factory mechanic calls them that, can't stand it but I'm wasn't going to backmouth them until it was certian they would all run them
Mr Tony, rumour has it that some of the Honda bikes used a prototype dual switch assembly of yours to control their tripmeters.
This one:

Tell us more?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #6371
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

6,300 and something posts... not bad for 6 stages.

Peeps are saying that this year it is slower, and it is by only about 40-50%.

Its just fast enough for me thanks. perhaps a little too fast still

To the F5 competitors:

A BIG thank you for all your valuable contributions so far!!!

Keep em coming!!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #6372
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Despite the tragedy, and the hardship, I think for me this is the best Dakar I have watched....perhaps ever.

Deadly and I were discussing it a bit earlier and I think he agrees.

What do you all say?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #6373
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
do we actually know why Rosa is out? Bike trouble?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #6374
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 502
I think it is more exhausting keeping up with the news than racing the Dakar

On the topic of 450/big bore
Personally I love riding my CR125 more so than my 660 fully loaded with 48L of fuel in the sand dunes at noon on a hot day. I can ride that little thing to the edge of my technical capabilities, much easier to ride but I am much closer to the line. The 660 I have to respect it and pre-empt a lot more. Sure it weighs more when you lift it but the weight is not really a factor for me as I do not use much muscles to ride. I do not use tape in my hands during the Dakar. Whilst the 450cc rule may help with the different brand, I do believe that people will get injured more easily. why? they ride closer to that line. The big bore you had to respect and riders would have probably spent a little more time on their level of fitness as well.

On the topic of high attrition
Dirt is dirt and rocks are rocks whether the race is called Dakar or Desafio. The heat and altitude play the biggest role against someone ability to stay close to that line but with an amount of safety. Then the ability to coordinate physical / mental / emotional aspects all at once and keeping the right balance against the speed or closeness to that line. You do not go through a Dakar without the proper simulation, you do not experience the Dakar during Dakar. You do all that stuff before the Dakar. Sure, bad luck happens but too many racers seem more concerned about the sunglasses that they wear when the helmet comes off. It is a difficult race because your body is pushed to the limit, problem is, most don't want to train accordingly, or for the case of most amateurs, they spend so much time looking for funds that training gets left behind. For mechanical failures, those 450cc have to be nurtured.

On the topic of professional/amateur
The Dakar has evolved, it is no longer the same race. The whole thing started in 1976 when the only way to make it was for racers to help each other. Then it got commercial, then grew grew and grew, now it is political. It is a great opportunity for factories to promote their brand, they spend millions and get coverage for it if they are in the top 5. I was surprised to see this year that racers had beds to sleep in the marathon stage! Tents are disappearing, motorhomes once frowned upon are coming. The race is evolving, the gap is getting wider between factories and amateurs. Perhaps in the near future we will see a separate classification, but then how do you really split a professional from an amateur?

On the topic of "is the race too hard this year?"
Next year, you will see more entries! The more impossible the more we want it. Perhaps the comment from Manny with the org accepting less skilled riders has something to do with this? ASO receives full entries each year, unless this change they will continue to manage the event (route, difficulties, withdrawals, route mods) to get to that magic stat number in the end. They do it the best they can and no one else manages such a big event with so much logistics. Mistakes happen, we are only people, nothing can ever be perfect.

The race is what it is, it is being offered to racers, if they chose to sign up they should know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #6375
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102

26°24'17.07"s 65°19'11.55"w
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Closed Thread