Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #46
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzinpa View Post
It was fun and had some emotional moments. I was underimpressed. 99.999% of the footage was in California, .0001% Daytona, .0001% Sturgis. Lots of history in CA but much of why we ride is because there is so much more than CA. Included lots of different brands. On Any Sunday was more inspirational. I won my tickets in a raffle and it was worth about that.

I am glad they made it. It was nowhere near as good as I had hoped it would be.

Oh Well.

RIDE RIDE RIDE!

p.s. Can I have my $27.00 back?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #47
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
A great film I can't wait to see.

So pissed this sold out in Seattle.... will keep looking to see it, meanwhile here's an ode to riding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKddoGhZk8
[video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKddoGhZk8]
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #48
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
A great film I can't wait to see.

So pissed this sold out in Seattle.... will keep looking to see it, meanwhile here's an ode to riding!
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #49
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 216
Coming to Warren, Ohio

Tuesday January 21st the Movie Why We Ride is coming to the Packard Museum. Doors open at 5pm, 2 Wheel Power Hour motorcycle show airs live at 6pm and movie begins at 7:30pm. $8.00 admission fee. All monies raised goes to Packard Museum. The Packard will be showing their motorcycle exhibit. So for 8 bucks you get to tour the motorcycle exhibit, see the motorcycle show broadcast live and see the movie! Food and beverage is available throughout the evening! Sponsored by Triumph of Warren. Seating capped at 100. To reserve a seat email Triumph of warren the names of those attending. You will not be required to send money. This email is for counting purposes.

triumphofwarren@yahoo.com
Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #50
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,378
I got it on DVD for Christmas. It was okay and I enjoyed watching it, but I really expected more. It seemed like it was about 80% slow-mo scenes of motocross. I was hoping for a more all-encompassing survey or riding.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #51
Travman
SDF

Oddometer: 420
Why We Race

Recently watched the movie. Other than a few small segments, the theme of the movie was racing and how everyone highlighted started off very young and stayed with it. Nothing on those who rode in their younger days, stopped for various life commitments, then came back to riding. Nothing on those that discovered the joy of riding late in life. Not everyone started riding at 5. Main assumption was that if you ride, then you must love some form of bike racing. Overall I though it was eh, nothing special. Could have been called, why we race.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #52
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
I went to see the movie Monday night. I think the typical ADV "They didn't make this movie exactly how I would have made it so it sucks" is what most people are saying in the previous comments. Which I guess shouldn't surprise me. To them I say, "GO make your own fucking movie."

The only real criticism I had was that they didn't put a tag identifying who was speaking and what their relevance was. They did that at the end of the movie, during the run of the credits, which while I understand the motivation, I think for most people it would have been a little more meaningful to identify the speakers during the actual movie. I only knew a few of them myself by sight, so someone with little or no knowledge of racing or motorcycling history would have absolutely no idea who the speakers were.

However, the fact that it was enjoyable and was about motorcycling made up for any shortcomings I may have identified.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #53
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Racing in any form isn't that exciting to me. I don't own a car, haven't since August 2011, had the motorcycle since December 2012. I don't consider it a sport any more so than bicycling. Is commuting a "sport"? Seeing a movie that seems to relate more to racing doesn't relate to me. You can ride and have nothing to do with racing. I'm sure it is a good movie, but with the reviews I've seen here, I don't think it would appeal to me much. I ride because I'd rather not drive, I enjoy wearing the gear, and it offers me a freedom that four wheels doesn't. I feel the same about bicycling.

sdmichael screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 04:45 PM
sdmichael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #54
lancruza
On a Mission

Oddometer: 80
I hope the people that made this movie aren't following this thread, cause if they are, they will probably be very discouraged by all the negative comments that have been left so far.
BUT NOW IT'S MY TURN!!

I absolutely LOVED IT!! It's a very high quality production. Everything from the music to the camera shots was as top notch as any movie you will ever see. Very slick presentation and cinematography. I loved the FEEL of the movie. It made me want to run out and hop on my bike as soon as the movie was over. It shows a very good cross section of motorcycle riders along with good stories on how they got started riding and why they ride. A good soundtrack can be a great asset to any movie experience, if it is done properly. They nailed this! It was a great compliment to the shots they chose. The slo-mo shots help ad to the tone and feel of the movie. A great family oriented movie. I think there were 2 curse words in the entire movie. This is a great movie to show to any young future riders. I stood up and applauded at the end of the movie. I was the only one to do this at this showing, because I was at home watching this in my living room. That's right, I was standing in my living room applauding. I grabbed the remote, started the movie over and watched it again.

So, if the people who made this movie ARE reading this thread - AWESOME JOB!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to see a sequel.
lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #55
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,520
THanks Mang, you said how I feel. the haters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
I hope the people that made this movie aren't following this thread, cause if they are, they will probably be very discouraged by all the negative comments that have been left so far.
BUT NOW IT'S MY TURN!!

I absolutely LOVED IT!! It's a very high quality production. Everything from the music to the camera shots was as top notch as any movie you will ever see. Very slick presentation and cinematography. I loved the FEEL of the movie. It made me want to run out and hop on my bike as soon as the movie was over. It shows a very good cross section of motorcycle riders along with good stories on how they got started riding and why they ride. A good soundtrack can be a great asset to any movie experience, if it is done properly. They nailed this! It was a great compliment to the shots they chose. The slo-mo shots help ad to the tone and feel of the movie. A great family oriented movie. I think there were 2 curse words in the entire movie. This is a great movie to show to any young future riders. I stood up and applauded at the end of the movie. I was the only one to do this at this showing, because I was at home watching this in my living room. That's right, I was standing in my living room applauding. I grabbed the remote, started the movie over and watched it again.

So, if the people who made this movie ARE reading this thread - AWESOME JOB!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to see a sequel.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #56
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
I ordered the movie before the release date, it was sold out on release and I had to wait for the 2nd batch and then the shipping to Mexico...

I LOVED IT! Yes, a lot of it is about racing, but honestly, racing is inherent to human nature. When I was a kid we raced anything, you're always trying to compete, be better at something, so racing will have to be somewhere in there in any movie about motorcycles. If you're willing to go past the "they are racing, I hate it" mind block, you'll notice that all of them pretty much ride for the similar reasons, whether it be on the race track, dirt track or the open road.

I tried racing and I hated it. I do trackdays and love them, but riding is a lot more than going fast to me, yesterday I just went out riding on the suburbs for three hours, looking at things, exploring streets I had never been to before, looking at the different houses. Sometimes I just go out riding in the night, within the city, it looks different, quiet and peaceful. Sometimes I like to go to the mountains and grab lunch in a small town...

I think the movie pretty much covered it all.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #57
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
went to see it in Providence last night (snipped from that thread)

Overall not bad... Seemed like a 90 minute version of the intro video to the MSF BRC "welcome to the ride". I'd say the movie was probably 30 minutes too long, and could be titled "why Americans ride". Seems to be targeted towards the v-twin cruiser crowd, ignoring pretty much the rest of the world, the rest of motorcycling history, along with sport touring or ADV riding types. Having said that it was a nice night out.

I guess if you've nothing better to do on a cold winter night w/ 90 minutes to kill....

Of course if I had it to do over I'd probably just download the movie and watch it at home.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #58
wheelbender6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Showing my age, but how does it compare to "On Any Sunday"? "On any Sunday" seemed to be just a collection of action footage with some narration. Sure made me want to ride, though.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #59
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Showing my age, but how does it compare to "On Any Sunday"? "On any Sunday" seemed to be just a collection of action footage with some narration. Sure made me want to ride, though.
Similar

And showing my age, not as good.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #60
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 383
This Film Was A Fucking Snoozer....