User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #6541
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
“Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over”

Fabrizio,

gone, but never forgotten

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 AM   #6542
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Fabrizio,

gone, but never forgotten

Sad as it is to not have him still, I watch all his videos (riding or otherwise) again and feel happy that I'm so lucky to have know about such a great human.

We have quite a few of his pics and riding videos on the 950rallye thread over on OC if anybody wants to watch them.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #6543
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,578
Want it easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Moto View Post
2013.. 183.....125
2013 was the year to do it! This has been said to me by a few now who have done it that year and others. The finish rate was amongst the highest ever and this is in part why this year is now so tough.

Gotta keep on dreamin!

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #6544
AndreasM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Whew... still in the race

It's been a blast so far. While I haven't posted all that much, it's been a joy to follow the race and the thread. Thanks to all the participants - both here and in South America.

The race has been crazy. I only seriously started to follow the Dakar last year, and this seems much more chaotic. But also very exciting.

I'm rather frustrated by the lack of proper TV-coverage. Of course, no Danish channels cover it, so I have to follow Eurosport every night, and I'm not too fond of it. Lots of quick clips of the favorites only, while Kirby tries to keep up. No in depth stories. I gather that the France 4 coverage is much better, but not speaking French, well... With the amount of people in the world who understands English, it's a mystery to me why no quality broadcast in made in English.

In any case, it's great to be able to follow here. Had I only watched Eurosport, I would have had a completely different (dare I say wrong?) picture of the race.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #6545
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
It's rest day and with a shortage of action, or maybe a chance to take a breath, I can give you a bit f an insight into day 3. Of course the summary makes things and distances sound short, which they certainly were not!

Into stage 3 Sam....
Thank you for the insight too old Tis is the amazinf thing with the F5irehose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Despite the tragedy, and the hardship, I think for me this is the best Dakar I have watched....perhaps ever.

Deadly and I were discussing it a bit earlier and I think he agrees.

What do you all say?
For me this is the best chance for the privateers to attack factories and show them how it's really done
I think this is one of the most surprising Dakars ever. You just cannot rely on your lead any more. Really sad about Eric's death though, I hope this Dakar does not clame any more people....
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 AM   #6546
Rorider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmdz View Post
Firefox browser
FoxyProxy add-on
Google free france proxy or try http://spys.ru/free-proxy-list/FR/
Thanks a lot for this. Worked perfectly.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #6547
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
So many variables to contend with.....

I feel like I want to chip in here and share my experiences.

First of all, I want to express how sad I feel about the loss of another rider, it's something we never want to hear and has been too often of late. My sincere condolences go to all of Eric's family and friends

So, last year I successfully completed the Dakar Rally and to be honest (and I'll tell anyone this) it was easier than I expected from a technical riding point of view. Now, don't let that make you think it was easy, it wasn't, and you can make it harder by riding faster! We all different opinions and experiences on what is hard terrain, just like we all have different riding abilities, different physical abilities and different levels of ability to withstand discomfort. I just expected more difficult. Seeing this years race unfold to be what seems to be a more challenging one, only makes me want to be there more, to beat the ultimate challenge. Nonetheless, I am utterly content with what I achieved.

Preparation is key for this event, everything has to be lined up, everything has to work right including the rider and you need to know how to ride a bike at a reasonable pace, otherwise things will snowball fast. Anyone of you internet followers who thinks it looks like fun and would like a go, better get a serious long term training and racing regime in place or it will end in disappointment. It's not just about the rider either, we've seen a lot of mechanical breakdowns also. Don't underestimate how important the development work is that goes into the bikes to compete in these harsh conditions. The ability for the rider to overcome the unexpected is also paramount, look at Cyril this year and my fork leg repair . This is still the longest and most arduous race in the world and amateur or pro, don't expect an easy ride!

There were some tough days on 2013 and for me, the shortest was one of the toughest and most technical so I can concur with a comment Ned made earlier on. The road book on that day scrolled a lot slower than I would have liked.

For me the altitude experienced in South America last year at circa 15,000ft, was brutal. I could not practically train in that altitude so just had to deal with it and it sucked. I really struggled to stay focussed and also to stay healthy in terms of hydration and food (and for us it was on an unpaved liaison, not a special stage). I was physically sick, had to stop numerous times and had to dig really deep to make the bivouac. For me, this was the without doubt the hardest part of the rally and can you believe it wasn't even on a special!

Now onto hydration and nutrition and I feel I have real experience to share here, this is SERIOUS stuff and should not be glossed over. For the Dakar I'd read about it a bit before I went, understood what I needed to do and how I needed to be disciplined to stay on top of it. I always drank and ate lots in the morning before departing and ran with electrolytes in my camel pack, I even carried additional tablets for if I needed to fill my camel pack at a fuel point. I'd also try to eat shot blocks or energy bars at stops. In training I got used to calibrating how much to drink depending on how far there was to go and how much I had left in my camel back so as not to run out while riding as that would have been a distraction. I also filled up at any opportunity, I'd never be sorry to have too much. On return to the bivouac each night I would drink at least a litre of recovery shake and eat lots again. I bet I consumed at least 8 to 10 litres of water a day (ish).

So, I got through the Dakar but this year I have had two really bad experiences and neither of which were due to ignorance. I think some people watching the television and seeing people being recovered from seriously dehydrated conditions but have never experienced it, probably wonder "why do they let themselves get that way, why don't they just drink more"....it's really not that straight forward.

Early in the year I was out training on a regular run aiming for 13 miles. It was a particular hot day and I had had a busy week at home / work. I set out to do a personal best and was on course for that. I'd taken on water at regular intervals and was feeling good right up to the 8 mile mark where I started to have to dig deep. I made the 10 mile point but after that the only way I have of telling what was going in was by looking at the download from my running watch. I had pushed my body so hard that it went into meltdown, kidney failure and the lot.

I knew I was finding it tough but I was chasing the goal of a personal best, I just kept saying "push through the pain Lyndon", much like a lot of the riders must have to do on the Dakar. Your inner desire to get to the end and achieve what you set out to achieve can see you push yourself beyond your own limits. We should not underestimate the power of the human mind to push through boundaries. I never thought I could push myself to the point of no return but I did. I owe my life to a few very special people who were first on the scene and the paramedics thereafter. 5 days in hospital gave me time to think, a lot. I had done nothing different to what I normally do, the only difference being the conditions (hotter) and the fact I was pushing myself for a faster time, two of the classic variables that we see influencing riders on the Dakar.

The second was later this year, in the Merzouga Rally where I got food poisoning which drained everything I had. I still tried to ride because I did not want to give up but this very nearly ended in disaster for me. I got so disorientated I had to stop the bike on the piste, I could not navigate or concentrate any more. I sat next to the bike, in the shade and seriously thought my time was up. I only had 20km remaining of the stage. This time, a fellow rider stopped and encouraged me to follow him in. I really struggled but made the bivouac. Again, an experience triggered from an outside influence that I could not train for.

I know this is a long winded post, and I probably was not considering sharing these experiences with the internet but you know what, it's life and I think it's important to share these sometimes to make people understand how dangerous and close to the edge it can get. We should not underestimate what these guys and girls are going through.

I did have a tear in my eye writing some of that, especially as it really hits home how close and lucky I was. Reading of others who did not get so lucky makes me sad

Anyway, it is rest day and the riders can have a little time to recover and replenish and this is the "coolest fucking race" so we shall continue to follow and enjoy the events that unfold. Rest day for LPR 2013.....

Oh and here's one to compete with Manny, I got seriously distracted at this fuel station

Lyndon
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-11-2014, 03:51 AM   #6548
DaCat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Cool read, thanks for sharing your experiences. I still believe it's a contest for modern day gladiators. An amazing and incredible adventure
Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #6549
AndreasM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
I feel like I want to chip in here and share my experiences. [...]
Great post. Very informative. I'm sure everybody on this thread has thought "wouldn't it be cool" at least once, and when watching the elite riders, it is easy to lose the sense of perspective. Then posts like yours are really good. Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 AM   #6550
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Oh and here's one to compete with Manny, I got seriously distracted at this fuel station

Lyndon
Don't recall seeing that shot last year

But it's good to see the sponsors logo clearly on the bike (not that anyone will even notice the bike ......)

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 AM   #6551
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Thank you for that awesome post Lyndon!! It is posts from people like you who have been there and had these experiences that keeps me coming back to ADVRider! Lots of good information to take away from that post!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #6552
DudaRO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
I feel like I want to chip in here and share my experiences.
Thank you for this awesome insight Lyndon
Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #6553
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
Great post Lyndon, we here are always thirsty to get stuff straight from the horse's (hose's?) mouth... Keep them coming... Your post really sheds light to the question of how experienced riders, like Palante, get so dehydrated and off their game...

Just finished the tdp special for yesterday, another great show... Jordi gave his rear wheel to Coma at neut...

Nani's sentinel had problems and that was the reason Sainz didn't hear him, Nano apologized to Carlos and there're friends now again...

That dehydrated rider was a scary sight, Ignacio Chivite had some air time helping folks around, even without the bultaco, he's a great guy...

All interviewed riders confirm that this year has been particularly hard...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 01-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #6554
Rockteryx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

When we passed past 5000 a while back I think there was too much going on for anyone to even notice. This year has been really exciting, but we dont have as many poster I guess because we don't have a Jonah or a Kurt or a Rubby fighting for contention.

For me these last 6 days just flew by. I think its been really exciting.
I think we have a lot of lurkers. For me it's hard to keep up. I'm always 5 to 10 pages down ( at the moment too ). So it's quite hard to write something important and new. But I love beeing part of the F5irehouse, this years shirt ordered, wearing last years! Thanks all of you for this expierence !
Old 01-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #6555
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
http://www.comunicacion.gob.bo/sites...s/cartilla.pdf

See the difference in route line

The blue line must be the most to close raceline.
because of medical points

Zonas espectadores:
Motos
Stage 7
DSS:Lugar: Abra Pampa ‐ S22 43.686 W65 41.079
Lugar: La Quiaca ‐ S22 07.380 W65 37.244
Lugar: Corral Blanco ‐ S22° 05.659 W65° 42.005
ASS Lugar: Tupiza ‐ S21° 28.180’ W65° 43.311’
DSS B Lugar: Tupiza ‐ S21° 24.761’ W65° 43.175’
Lugar: Atocha – S20° 55.990 W66° 13.104
ASS BLugar: Llegada del especial – S20° 40.997 W66° 38.236

Stage 8