Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #6571
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Rest Day provided team F5 with welcome relief...

Jx

Like everyone else out there...catching up on life. today. Cya all tomorrow morning.

This forum and thread in particular rocks. A half dozen or more Dakar veterans providing first hand advice and stories from their experiences combined with complete noobs to the F5 thread and all jiving and making what is the best way to follow the race. F5 season is great this year

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #6572
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Rest Day provided team F5 with welcome relief...

Jx

and thanks for your review of the 1st half Jen
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #6573
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
We should not underestimate what these guys and girls are going through.
Great post, Lyndon. Thanks.

Two further comments that compliment that-

1) It takes a lot of luck to make it thru Dakar. As you have outlined, people make at least some of that luck, with preparation and training, but we do not make all of it (thanks for sharing those moments). In other words, no amount of training and preparation could guarantee a finish. You and I both got very lucky in addition to doing everything we could to not need luck!

2) There is a level of mental determination necessary that means you have left yourself no out from finishing, no allowance for ease or convenience. If you have to push the bike to the top of a hill as Sam did, well, that's what you do. As we watch the videos of these competitors, some still in, some now out, you can see that determination in various amounts, and I find it something that I connect with very much.

You see the pain so clearly in Paulo Goncalves as the goal he has worked toward is taken from him in flames, it is a very human moment.

My opinion is that the ASO recognizes how much the public identifies with these human moments, and while they can come from any competitor, the amateur ranks are important to them in providing that human connection. I believe the race will continue to evolve in difficulty and approach, but I don't think they will make it impossible for Amateurs to have, and share, a deeply human experience. Not to sound shallow, but it is every bit as much a part of their brand as the grace and speed of the winner.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #6574
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
In Bolivia there counting down
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #6575
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Kevin Muggleton:

Only 35% of bikes still left in #Dakar2014, rumor to cancel Stage Special tomorrow so some bikes might make finish! http://t.co/YFadS9yUkP

Cyril D:

Hello guys, I'm in Salta for the rest day and as you know it hasn't been an easy first week. But I've seen today that there are 62567 of you following me and it gives me a real boost. Thanks everybody for your support. I will keep pusching...

Salut à tous, je suis a Salta pour la journée de repos et comme vous le savez, cette 1ère semaine n'a pas été facile.
Mais j'ai vu ce matin que 62567 personnes me suivaient et ça me boost, merci a tous. Je lache pas...

It still kills me that he's on the trainer on the rest day.

Stagehand screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 08:13 AM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #6576
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #6577
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #6578
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

David Batalla, del equipo Gas-Gas Epsilon, durante la sexta etapa.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #6579
Davestr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Neduro

Ned always seem to have been calm after a stage. He never when you talked to him seemed very stressed the only time was right in the beginning when our bikes was late and lots prepping to bedone before the race when we ofloaded the container. He did little snapping but the rest he was just seemed totally mellow.
Then again his team and mechanics were just goofy and always cracking jokes and full humor.

Wicked Dreams and quest for adventure.
Davestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #6580
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Seems there is water. uploaded today

One of my favorite things about Uyuni in Bolivia is the train cemetery. Its a haunting place which fills me with nostalgia every time I go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExit View Post
Here's an observation: Without Team KTM, Despres seems merely a god among many gods, not the alien we've seen in past years. I can't remember accounts in previous Dakars of him falling off his bike (except for the mudhole), and this year it's almost daily. Same with nav errors.

What gives?

I'm curious to hear from the cognescenti here what kinds of advantage Team KTM's power and resources would give a rider over Team Yamaha, beyond the bike technology?

Is it the new watercarrier? Has Faria been carrying him all these years?

I don't want to start any new conspiracy theories, but is there more logistical support with a team like KTM? Would they employ someone with Hogwild's skills to use the roadbook info to produce something more precise overnight?

Could they have someone with mischa's digital skills to hack the Iritrack to secretly unlock it's more conventional GPS features and make it operate more like a turn-by-turn satnav system?

I'm eager to understand why Despres has come down from space this year.
Actually you don't need to have a Hogwild to decode the route if you have the road book. With a road book and GE open with a reasonable connection you would very quickly have a number of tips that would give you a quite an edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
3 days on the road this week and I'm out of contention too, but I'll f5inish the rally - my pre race favourite for the win is shaping up nicely so still plenty to support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExit View Post
Luddite that I am, I finally figured out how to bypass the international restrictions on watching the archive videos of France4 coverage on their site.

By far the best Dakar television reporting. They take their own cars, helicopters and cameras into the special stages, and spend as much time documenting the heroism of the amateurs as they do the triumphs and trials of the pros.

Worth a watch, even if you couldn't understand French any better than Klingon.

Sure, there's a lot of chitchat and travelogue material to make up an hour-long daily show, but they spent more time showing the heat exhausted of Stage 5 than the frontrunners of Stage 6.

It really is excellent. I keep telling myself I'm beginning to understand French as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Thanks for the informative posts on heat related risks every one

@Neil: did you forget to type the rest after you wrote "Basically we" ?

@CBVracing - 2015

@ Bluebull2007 : what year is yours mate ? with all the knowledge you've gained you could easily handle any kind of gate at the Dakar now.
Yes I just stopped typing because I realized the post was getting too long and anyway you wouldn't be too interested to know on how a heat tolerance test is conducted...would you?

Thanks to the snowball effect, I also forgot to delete those two words. Sorry

Re what year is my year? Well that all depends on the finance situation I am afraid. Right now it is not possible and I'm sorry but I cannot bring myself to bum off everyone like shoestring did. Its one thing getting sponsors but I think I need to be realistic about it. Having said that, if business is good in the next two months that could change in in that case I am keen to enter for 2015. Who knows, maybe I could team up with Jenny Dakar or someone else. Its all still too early for me to make any announcement though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
“Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over”
Fabrizio,

gone, but never forgotten

Great post, Pebble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
I feel like I want to chip in here and share my experiences.
Lyndon
Wow, thanks for these wise words, and for sharing something so openly.
You're an inspiration
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #6581
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coak View Post
Thanks GoTo Moto,

I've used your data to calculate the number of finishers to starters as a %.
Coak
Thats great info! Do you have a weighted average for all the years?

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 08:46 AM
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #6582
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Re what year is my year? Well that all depends on the finance situation I am afraid. Right now it is not possible and I'm sorry but I cannot bring myself to bum off everyone like shoestring did. Its one thing getting sponsors but I think I need to be realistic about it. Having said that, if business is good in the next two months that could change in in that case I am keen to enter for 2015. Who knows, maybe I could team up with Jenny Dakar or someone else. Its all still too early for me to make any announcement though.
Funny you say that... This last week we've been finalising plans [with Rally Raid Products & Torque Racing], and we have priced a complete package for 2015 - which we believe is going to be VERY competitive Neil...

It will include a fully prepared LC4-50 rally bike rental [or purchase should you prefer], full spares (including engine, not that we envisage that will be required - but it is there if you need it), a cracking tyre & mousse deal/sponsorship, and full mechanical assistance - plus, and this is the sweet deal for anyone not in the UK - an additional engine/suspension/nav parts package to fit to a 690 Enduro available from March onwards - for a training bike in your own country!

We should have the production engine/s ready at the end of February, then testing in Tunisia in March - then we'll be in a position to offer the package, together with customer engine kits...

Early days like you say, but let's seriously keep in touch regarding this... ;o)

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #6583
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Today

http://instagram.com/p/jCUG__D2X1/

Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #6584
Adalift
nOob

Oddometer: 71
Many,many THANKS!!!

VIVA LA DAKAR!!
Been lurking for a few years and can't hide any more
Thank you to all contributors for this Awesome F5irehouse!! The views of the Guys who have been there is inpsipring, and gives a true grit filled view of the last weeks proceedings!
VIVA LA DAKAR!!
VIVA LA F5IREHOUSE!!!!
Anyway somebody mention a rest day, might go clean my carb.. Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #6585
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Funny you say that... This last week we've been finalising plans [with Rally Raid Products & Torque Racing], and we have priced a complete package for 2015 - which we believe is going to be VERY competitive Neil...

It will include a fully prepared LC4-50 rally bike rental [or purchase should you prefer], full spares (including engine, not that we envisage that will be required - but it is there if you need it), a cracking tyre & mousse deal/sponsorship, and full mechanical assistance - plus, and this is the sweet deal for anyone not in the UK - an additional engine/suspension/nav parts package to fit to a 690 Enduro available from March onwards - for a training bike in your own country!

We should have the production engine/s ready at the end of February, then testing in Tunisia in March - then we'll be in a position to offer the package, together with customer engine kits...

Early days like you say, but let's seriously keep in touch regarding this... ;o)

Jx
will do