Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #422
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Whoop, there it is!

damn.

Looking through AX results in Baltimore from last night and I see Kyle Regal in there. So many names come and go so quickly, I remember when I first started following (probably when they started televising it more) and Nicco Izzi and Stroupe and guys from that era, just a few years back, and gone so quickly it would seem. This sport never has lent itself to long careers and those that do have long ones are extremely select individuals ecspecially when they can compete up front like Reed and Stewart are. Truly incredible talents.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #423
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,175
Quote:

Whoop, there it is!
there was a set of whoops like this at Walden, one of the local tracks here. These get to where it's hard to call them whoops are doubles/triples depending on your nerve, but these, as big as they look, and its hard to tell without being there, appear to be whoops. This one skinny wisp of a kid Dominick used to HAMMER through them and he wasn't even an A rider. At an open practice one of the kids said "Dominick used to beat Barcia but Barcia got homeschooled and Dominick didn't" Barcia rode the same track all the time before he moved south.

Last year I asked, whatever happened to that kid from Westchester County, Dominick Guastella. I was told an air lift to Westchester Medical Center basically ended his career/interest in dirt bikes.

What these guys do at this level will forever keep my attention and respect until the day I'm no longer here.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #424
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
I still don't know why Jeff Alessi is holding a giant dildo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Hey gang. Just a gentle reminder this isn't JM.

Thanks.
I thought it was pretty funny. I wasn't offended in the least.

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #425
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,845
Quote:

Whoop, there it is!
Wow.

It is really easy to say, "Hit the whoops, shift up and wheelie over the tops."

It's a whole nother thing to do it when you are staring down the start of them.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #426
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Lens foreshortening...

Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #427
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Lens foreshortening...
Things tend to look compressed when you are approaching at speed.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #428
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post

damn.

Looking through AX results in Baltimore from last night and I see Kyle Regal in there. So many names come and go so quickly, I remember when I first started following (probably when they started televising it more) and Nicco Izzi and Stroupe and guys from that era, just a few years back, and gone so quickly it would seem. This sport never has lent itself to long careers and those that do have long ones are extremely select individuals ecspecially when they can compete up front like Reed and Stewart are. Truly incredible talents.
You're right,but the economy hasn't helped either.Lots of Factory rides disappeared in the past few years too.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #429
wesley650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
is the start (and conclusion) an hour earlier tonight?
I believe so. Arizona is on MT. The practice and qualifying is on an hour later at least.
wesley650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #430
rwahl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Lens foreshortening...

Looks like there is a tuffblock on the peak of each rise and only two in between. The camera may distort it some, but these babies are close together. Call them whoops, call them jumps - I think we can all agree that this is GNARLY!
rwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #431
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
wouldn't it be safe to assume that someone as technically capable as Honda know what they've got with that engine and would have tried different intake layouts before mounting the engine in the frame? maybe a straight intake tract wasn't optimal for the power they wanted? I can't think they'd want MX riders dealing with crazy high RPM's, the 250 riders are basically pinned all the time as it is, and the 450/250 lap times at the pro level of SX would tend to back up the fact that the lower rpm 450's and the higher RPM 250's run pretty similar lap times with the top riders from each class. yes the 450's have the power advantage but I'd think in something like SX that could be a pro and a con.

Bring back the 125 or 150cc production class and make the 250cc 2/4t the premier class withfull works bikes too!!!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #432
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,642
Villopoto for the win.

Bam Bam

Dungey

Bubba

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #433
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Watching the little kids ride the track right now on Supercross Live. Those are some big whoops when you watch those little kids roll over them.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #434
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
No question Honda has the know how, they have been making race car motors, MOTOGP/etc and production bike motors with straight intake tracts for many years.

With the world economic depression and dismal bike sales for years now, many say R&D bike budgets have been cut to the bone without lucrative profits to support research, stricter Euro car (more than Cali Café) emission/mpg standards may have taken precedence for available R&D money, if Honda spent any money on 250Fs we will be the last to know. They had a competitive motor capable of winning championships and were only making minor tweaks to keep doing so. ET showed us. The KX250F has been the acknowledged HP king off the showroom floor, but many tuners have shown us all the 5 bike brands can be made competitive.

Yamaha was the oldest motor design, last to have FI, and may have worn out their dies to make another run for all we know. Yamaha has historically been the one to up the evolution "ante" with production reed valves/ monoshocks/power valves/water cooling, current linkage design everyone has copied, Cosworth high revving combustion chambers with their revolutionary 1998 YZ400F, all of which everyone has copied. So when it came time for Yamaha to produce a new motor they utilized current technology IMO. As shown in F1 motors over the years, straight intake tracts are the optimum design at the highest level of competition.

In conclusion, who knows what Honda's R&D has tried, what/why they decided to put into production at what cost?

Personally, I would like to see clean running direct fuel injected two strokes with oil injection make it back into production and have the AMA adjust the cc limits of the 2T vs 4T MX/SXclasses. What they did eliminated the 2Ts from MX/SX, off road guys are riding 2Ts for a reason.

Quote:
wouldn't it be safe to assume that someone as technically capable as Honda know what they've got with that engine and would have tried different intake layouts before mounting the engine in the frame? maybe a straight intake tract wasn't optimal for the power they wanted? I can't think they'd want MX riders dealing with crazy high RPM's, the 250 riders are basically pinned all the time as it is, and the 450/250 lap times at the pro level of SX would tend to back up the fact that the lower rpm 450's and the higher RPM 250's run pretty similar lap times with the top riders from each class. yes the 450's have the power advantage but I'd think in something like SX that could be a pro and a con.
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #435
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Watching Roger DeCoster interview on Supercross Live, that guy isn't nearly as smart as some here. Roger said "Without Aldon Kenny would not have been able to do what he did last week."

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote