Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #6632
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Great post, Lyndon. Thanks.

Two further comments that compliment that-
Fully agree......and we both had unexpected issues to overcome which I think this is just part of it. It will happen and how you overcome them takes some of that luck.

Had you not been able to get a sprocket bolt, that could have ended bad and if my fork bottom had departed company with the stanction,
that too could have been bad. We got lucky there but had to work for it!
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #6633
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,763
Mike and Pedro

Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #6634
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
Unobtanium tires that only the top factory teams have access to. Michelin is only making them FOR the Dakar due to the increased mileage needed for the two Marathon stages.

Michelin's official release about the tires included verbage something like this, "For the average rider, they will be fine on the Michelin Deserts. The Marathon tires are only for the BEST!"

Here's the full release: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/s.../workshop.html
Thanks for that More separation of the Elite/Aliens from the rest of the riders. But then, the $30,000 set of forks Chaleco destroyed yesterday are out of reach of all but factory riders too, so no surprise.

Now I know why Jonah "rolled his own".
Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #6635
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

BoliviaTV/ENVIVO has been a good background, interviewing models right now... part of the Dakar experience
Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #6636
nry

Oddometer: 1,334
Just caught up after having to work yesterday , reading in three different points on the thread sometime gets a bit messy.

Great info from Ned and Pyndon and all you other Dakar veterans on what these guys are going through. Plenty of saving to notebook going on here

Update on Super Allan. #165

Allan Roberts FB

"It's insane! There are the top ten or so in a race as for the rest of us it's a fight, a fight for survival. Today's stage was relatively 'easy' compare to the past 4, if you call going around bends with 100 meter sheer cliffs, rocks on the road, many river crossings and of course dust. I had a good day, only hitting a rock in a creek that saw me with wet gloves after I fell but in here in Salta for a rest day tomorrow.
It has been grueling beyond belief, yesterday was madness in the desert, at one point I had a fire in the bash plate as already mentioned but managed to put it out quickly, goncalves not so lucky with his honda.
The days are long, but the bike is taking what ever I head it towards-it's strong and it will get me to the finish line as I will get her there as well.
There are some wild stories that go on out there, yesterday I came across a rider in the middle of the river bed, he'd crashed, I stopped picked him up and got his bike off the path as he got his breath and then another rider, an Argentinian crashed right there-at about 100 k's an hour, now I helped him up, he was hurt and picked his bike up, I then rode on-it's bloody tough, on stage 3 there were broken bikes and people everywhere, they are trying to break us but I will not be beaten.
Also I am a national hero if Poland. On the marathon stage overnight I gave my rear wheel to Kuba Prygonski, he is a factory KTM rider, he's running in the top ten. I was interviewed on TV in Poland, they love me! And then for the trouble KTM gave me a whole factory rim with bib moose and tire on it for the trouble, and my old one back....that's the Dakar.
Many other things to tell but it will have to wait. I appreciate the support, it helps, it gives me energy which is hard to come by out here, as you all are day by day I am willing myself to the end. "

Rest day he also said he'd had a very good sleep

Rik his mechanic working on the bike today.

and with that I'm off for a run and then load the bikes into the van for a day at the motocross track with my ten year old son and then hopefully the beach with my daughter.. (should be allowed to take the bikes to the beach eh !)

Enjoy the rest day everyone thank you so much for all your input into this amazing once a year thread
Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #6637
nry

Oddometer: 1,334
One other thing, Thanks to Scotty at Breauxman live, the helmet I won is in Texas here being modeled by the lovely Amanda

Should be on its way to Sydney soon !

Old 01-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #6638
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Chaleco Lopez, to surgery after the Dakar

The Chilean pilot underwent a diagnosis after being out of competition Edition 2014 in a fall of 5 meters.
After I read about the fall from 5 meters I looked back at some video footage and stitched this camera pan together. A little blurry because it was a fast pan.

Going over that edge at speed Chaleco is one tough hombre!

More Dakar heartbreak

Old 01-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #6639
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
found this page on the KTM site...

http://www.ktm.com/la/news-events/da...the-dakar.html

Been following for about 2 years now too (thank you to everyone especially with the video clips). I really wish we got Eurosport or better coverage here as well.

Anyway, at the end of the day this says something too about KTM's 13 consecutive years with the win. I ride and love my KTM but am rooting for Honda this year, not that Coma doesn't deserve it. I also hope he can keep it together. Really big bummers about sam sunderland, goncalves, and Eric Palante as well.

Has anyone seen the Senna documentary? Dakar is so full of fodder that it needs yet another documentary in my opinion about current days in south America. It is riveting...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #6640
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
After I read about the fall from 5 meters I looked back at some video footage and stitched this camera pan together. A little blurry because it was a fast pan.

Not only that, but I'm betting his front wheel landed just short of those logs in the path.

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #6641
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post

More Dakar heartbreak
I did not understand they 5 meter at all, thought translation issue, but know you got the pic, damm, ............................

thanks for clearing this

that's the nice part of F5. Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #6642
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
Wow! I copied Pyndon's post of most excellence this morning and emailed it to numerous friends. I return to my key board to see that Ned followed up.
I was teaching skiing today at my local ski hill in New Mexico. We were not busy in ski school, I asked to be released. All I could explain was one simple word 'DAKAR'.

was the response.

Those that race the Dakar are warriors. Marathon racing at it's highest and purest level.

Huba huba
Old 01-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #6643
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
http://www.diariouno.com.ar/ovacion/...0111-0067.html

Bing translation:

"Dropouts are more than those who had thought"

David Castera, sports director of Dakar and in charge of drawing the paths of the rally, confessed that not imagined "that were going to have some early so hard"."The Dakar is a difficult test," he said.

David Castera, director sports of Dakar and head draw the paths of the rally, had anticipated that the sixth edition of the South American would be the most difficult but not entered in its calculations, accomplished the first week, only 40 percent of competitors continue in career.

"I could not imagine that we were going to have some hard early. The truth is that it rained much and that complicated things with cuts on the way, broken roads and the other issue that complicated everything was the heat,"said Castera.

This man who once acknowledged that he feels satisfied when a pilot insults him "because that means that the stage was good", says now that the initial difficulty designed by the organizers joined him "incredible temperatures' coming in the fifth stage to range between 47 and 49 degrees.

For Castéra "Dakar is a difficult test but need balance: is not good to end with just 10 runners." We should not be selective".

"But the Dakar is a difficult test that requires physical, moto, head, many things, and keep them all. That is missing may not terminate. Same, dropouts are more than those who had thought,"added.

Castera said that during the six years the Dakar in South America, a combination of factors was present to harden the stages, not only the number of kilometers. The 2014 will be the most extensive in kilometer run rally since the competition changed continent.

In this sense, sport director stressed that in designing the route was taken into account "Interleave different types of terrain", as happened in these six stages contested.

"We are more near what we've done in Morocco, with roads with lot of stone, less rapid and more complicated, which means that the pilot will fight more, will be more time in the vehicle. All this creates more difficulties", summarized

In Chile, instead, "we are not going to have such high temperatures and when we get to Calama surely will be cooler, with 25 degrees, never more than 30, and close to the sea. They are best known land,"remarked Castéra.

As every first week, French spoke with the press to take stock of the competition, although this time the death of the pilot of motorcycles, the Belgian Eric Palante, found Friday on a road in the fifth stage race, flew over the talk.

"Always do self-critical of what could have gone wrong, what needs to be improved, because if we do not move, but for me today is not the day to do it." Perhaps for you Yes, but must await the end of the Dakar,"apologized.

However, the sports director rejected complaints about the road-book (book of roads): "is made by men and may have errors, but tends to be very tight. Checkpoints on Thursday were almost perfect but it is also very difficult for pilots to accept that they are wrong and always attributed the failure to the road-book. 10 Years ago I do this job and am accustomed,"has resigned.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #6644
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Hope no-one minds me posting this

Nine years ago we lost Fabrizio Meoni on the Dakar. Once you have seen footage of Fabrizio blasting through the desert sands on a 950 Adventure, you will never forget ....................

At the time it was not common knowledge that he was personally supporting a school in Dakar and his work has been carried on by the Fabrizo Meoni Foundation

http://www.fondazionefabriziomeoni.i...izio_meoni.php

Cyril Despres published a book covering his (at the time) 4 Dakar victories and all the profits from the book go to supporting the work started by Fabrizio - I have a copy and can strongly recommend it as an essential item for any Dakar fan's bookshelf.

The book can be purchased here http://www.cyrildespres-shop.com/default.asp?pgflngid=1

Take a look - it's for a good cause

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
Old 01-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #6645
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,957
RedBull Photos of the day (Stage 6 & Rest Day)

Sebastian Loeb checking the SMG Buggy
Team Red Bull SMG had the very special guest on the day off. ‘The Boss’ checks the insides of the buggy during the service operation. Is Loeb thinking about riding Dakar 2015 in the SMG monster? Goodness knows...
© Marcelo Maragni / Red Bull Content Pool

Carlos Sainz smokin´ through a curve
Carlos Sainz has to catch up quite a bit to end up in the top ranks, so has no chance to be gentle to the fans. Even if those had to eat some dirt from the Red Bull SMG Buggy, they for sure have a shoot to remember. Looks like our shooter Marcelo is a pro having a great shoot without getting dusty.

Mr. Despres has eye contact with our photographer
Former Champion Cyril Despres finished with a solid 5th on Stage 6 and is placed 11th Overall half way through the Dakar. To be back on top the Frenchman has to catch up at least 2,5 hours in the next days.