Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #6646
fast4ward
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
I feel like I want to chip in here and share my experiences.

First of all, I want to express how sad I feel about the loss of another rider, it's something we never want to hear and has been too often of late. My sincere condolences go to all of Eric's family and friends

So, last year I successfully completed the Dakar Rally and to be honest (and I'll tell anyone this) it was easier than I expected from a technical riding point of view. Now, don't let that make you think it was easy, it wasn't, and you can make it harder by riding faster! We all different opinions and experiences on what is hard terrain, just like we all have different riding abilities, different physical abilities and different levels of ability to withstand discomfort. I just expected more difficult. Seeing this years race unfold to be what seems to be a more challenging one, only makes me want to be there more, to beat the ultimate challenge. Nonetheless, I am utterly content with what I achieved.

Preparation is key for this event, everything has to be lined up, everything has to work right including the rider and you need to know how to ride a bike at a reasonable pace, otherwise things will snowball fast. Anyone of you internet followers who thinks it looks like fun and would like a go, better get a serious long term training and racing regime in place or it will end in disappointment. It's not just about the rider either, we've seen a lot of mechanical breakdowns also. Don't underestimate how important the development work is that goes into the bikes to compete in these harsh conditions. The ability for the rider to overcome the unexpected is also paramount, look at Cyril this year and my fork leg repair . This is still the longest and most arduous race in the world and amateur or pro, don't expect an easy ride!

There were some tough days on 2013 and for me, the shortest was one of the toughest and most technical so I can concur with a comment Ned made earlier on. The road book on that day scrolled a lot slower than I would have liked.

For me the altitude experienced in South America last year at circa 15,000ft, was brutal. I could not practically train in that altitude so just had to deal with it and it sucked. I really struggled to stay focussed and also to stay healthy in terms of hydration and food (and for us it was on an unpaved liaison, not a special stage). I was physically sick, had to stop numerous times and had to dig really deep to make the bivouac. For me, this was the without doubt the hardest part of the rally and can you believe it wasn't even on a special!

Now onto hydration and nutrition and I feel I have real experience to share here, this is SERIOUS stuff and should not be glossed over. For the Dakar I'd read about it a bit before I went, understood what I needed to do and how I needed to be disciplined to stay on top of it. I always drank and ate lots in the morning before departing and ran with electrolytes in my camel pack, I even carried additional tablets for if I needed to fill my camel pack at a fuel point. I'd also try to eat shot blocks or energy bars at stops. In training I got used to calibrating how much to drink depending on how far there was to go and how much I had left in my camel back so as not to run out while riding as that would have been a distraction. I also filled up at any opportunity, I'd never be sorry to have too much. On return to the bivouac each night I would drink at least a litre of recovery shake and eat lots again. I bet I consumed at least 8 to 10 litres of water a day (ish).

So, I got through the Dakar but this year I have had two really bad experiences and neither of which were due to ignorance. I think some people watching the television and seeing people being recovered from seriously dehydrated conditions but have never experienced it, probably wonder "why do they let themselves get that way, why don't they just drink more"....it's really not that straight forward.

Early in the year I was out training on a regular run aiming for 13 miles. It was a particular hot day and I had had a busy week at home / work. I set out to do a personal best and was on course for that. I'd taken on water at regular intervals and was feeling good right up to the 8 mile mark where I started to have to dig deep. I made the 10 mile point but after that the only way I have of telling what was going in was by looking at the download from my running watch. I had pushed my body so hard that it went into meltdown, kidney failure and the lot.

I knew I was finding it tough but I was chasing the goal of a personal best, I just kept saying "push through the pain Lyndon", much like a lot of the riders must have to do on the Dakar. Your inner desire to get to the end and achieve what you set out to achieve can see you push yourself beyond your own limits. We should not underestimate the power of the human mind to push through boundaries. I never thought I could push myself to the point of no return but I did. I owe my life to a few very special people who were first on the scene and the paramedics thereafter. 5 days in hospital gave me time to think, a lot. I had done nothing different to what I normally do, the only difference being the conditions (hotter) and the fact I was pushing myself for a faster time, two of the classic variables that we see influencing riders on the Dakar.

The second was later this year, in the Merzouga Rally where I got food poisoning which drained everything I had. I still tried to ride because I did not want to give up but this very nearly ended in disaster for me. I got so disorientated I had to stop the bike on the piste, I could not navigate or concentrate any more. I sat next to the bike, in the shade and seriously thought my time was up. I only had 20km remaining of the stage. This time, a fellow rider stopped and encouraged me to follow him in. I really struggled but made the bivouac. Again, an experience triggered from an outside influence that I could not train for.

I know this is a long winded post, and I probably was not considering sharing these experiences with the internet but you know what, it's life and I think it's important to share these sometimes to make people understand how dangerous and close to the edge it can get. We should not underestimate what these guys and girls are going through.

I did have a tear in my eye writing some of that, especially as it really hits home how close and lucky I was. Reading of others who did not get so lucky makes me sad

Anyway, it is rest day and the riders can have a little time to recover and replenish and this is the "coolest fucking race" so we shall continue to follow and enjoy the events that unfold. Rest day for LPR 2013.....

Oh and here's one to compete with Manny, I got seriously distracted at this fuel station

Lyndon
Poignant words indeed from Lyndon, who's been there and done that.

As someone who has suffered mild altitude sickness myself, I was concerned at the marathon stage this week where the bivouac was at 17000 feet. Very hard to rest at that altitude when your basically gasping for oxygen all night. And the increased likelihood for rider error due to increased fatigue and the effects of altitude on cognitive ability and decision making. I can't help thinking that this has contributed to the high attrition rates this first week.

Supporting your efforts to make it in 2015, Lyndon. You've earned your hero status already
Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #6647
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4ward View Post
Poignant words indeed from Lyndon, who's been there and done that.

As someone who has suffered mild altitude sickness myself, I was concerned at the marathon stage this week where the bivouac was at 17000 feet. Very hard to rest at that altitude when your basically gasping for oxygen all night. And the increased likelihood for rider error due to increased fatigue and the effects of altitude on cognitive ability and decision making. I can't help thinking that this has contributed to the high attrition rates this first week.

Supporting your efforts to make it in 2015, Lyndon. You've earned your hero status already
The Bivoac was at an altitude of 1,800m or about 5,000".
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #6648
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Is there any consideration or support for the usage of gps tracks for navigation in the future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

Not really. As we saw on Stage 5, GPS tracks take the gate out of navigate.
Taking out roadbook navigation in favor of GPS nav would take away a key component of rallye. This is a discipline which rewards the rider who can go fast while still maintaining their wits and interpreting their roadbook. Following a GPS course would remove half of what makes rally raiding interesting to those who do it. It would still be a race, and it would probably still be watched, but it's just not the same, and it certainly wouldn't be rallye.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #6649
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,706
Holy crap; I got into the bivouac late two days ago to find the circus had left without me. Thank god for a rest day, so I could catch up.

Carry on.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #6650
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
The Bivoac was at an altitude of 1,800m or about 5,000".
Valle de caligasta. On the other side of the hill from san juan. Mouse over in google earth to see the elevations.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #6651
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
After I read about the fall from 5 meters I looked back at some video footage and stitched this camera pan together. A little blurry because it was a fast pan.

Going over that edge at speed Chaleco is one tough hombre!

More Dakar heartbreak

Aaahh! Nice work! It looked like he was well off the piste in some sort of creek bed. That pano shows it perfectly! No wonder he taco'd that front wheel!!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #6652
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Mike and Pedro

Who is the BIGGER CLOWN ???????

Good Job guys !!
I can not wait to talk when you both get back home!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #6653
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Bing tranlation:
http://formosa.tuformosa.com/noticia...medium=twitter

Dakar 2014, extreme: five drivers are in a Tucumán hospital

De Souza, the Frenchman Alain Germet, Spaniards are Dario July Gilbert climbed and Enric Marti Flix, and Argentina's Adrian Yacopini.

Five drivers who are participating in the Rally Dakar 2014 are hospitalized in a hospital in the Tucumán capital, various injuries suffered during the fifth leg between Chilecito, La Rioja and Tucumán.

Athletes are in the Padilla hospital and are out of danger.

One of the wounded is the Brazilian pilot Dario Julio De Souza, who competes in the moto Honda No. 37, and that should be transferred from the track of the London aerodrome, in Catamarca. De Souza suffered a cardiac arrest and a clavicle fracture. It is stable.

In addition, the Frenchman Alain Germet, driving a KTMmotorbike, suffered head trauma and cervical with loss of consciousness. In the last hours, he regained consciousness.

Another wounded is the Spanish rider Gilbert climbed, who ran with a Suzuki bike with the number 97 and is boarding school therapy internsiva.

In addition, the mendocino Adrian Yacopini, who was driving a BMW X 3, is interned and left the competition.

The other pilot boarding school is the Spanish Enric Marti Flix, which ran in a 450 EC Raid Gas Gas and the JVO Racing team
Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #6654
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Esta tarde, diluvio universal así que aquí me tenéis haciendo el roadbook en la habitación del camión

Old 01-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #6655
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Aaahh! Nice work! It looked like he was well off the piste in some sort of creek bed. That pano shows it perfectly! No wonder he taco'd that front wheel!!

Actually if he fell 5 meters down he could have flown off the top edge of the image (maybe a road edge?) and nosed into the gully before or after the logs. That would break the front end in either case. Only Chaleco can tell us for sure.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #6656
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I think he snapped the left fork leg too!!! Brutal off piste downhill to take at speed! Lucky to make it out of there with his body intact I'd think.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #6657
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

#67 Robert Van Pelt - at just 20 years old, Robert is the youngest competitor on the Dakar this year, and similarly was the youngest ever in 2012, where he finished his first event in 47th position overall. Robert is currently sitting just outside the top 20 overall, and finished a spectacular 7th on stage earlier in the week. This is even more impressive when you consider he is riding in the Malle Moto (unassisted) category - one to watch for the future I'm sure!

Jx

Hi. SBS coverage mentioned an 18 year old Quad rider. True or false?

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #6658
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
I think he snapped the left fork leg too!!! Brutal off piste downhill to take at speed! Lucky to make it out of there with his body intact I'd think.
yeah, holy crap, lucky to survive a trip off an ambankment like that at all. I mean, criminy- just lucky there wasnt anyting bigger than anything he actually hit!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #6659
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #6660
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Poor Chaleco getting punishment from all over! Sherco hosing down a KTM...
Closed Thread