Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #6661
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
yeah, holy crap, lucky to survive a trip off an ambankment like that at all. I mean, criminy- just lucky there wasnt anyting bigger than anything he actually hit!
Quite a 'penalty zone' there. If that drop off is on a curve, is it a !! or !!! in the roadbook?

His rear wheel is smashed as is his subframe so he might have cartwheeled? Yikes!
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #6662
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
Hi. SBS coverage mentioned an 18 year old Quad rider. True or false?

Cheers
Pilbara
Apologies Pilbara - you are quite right, there is a guy racing a quad who won the place on the Dakar this year after finishing well in Desafio Ruta and winning the Dakar Challenge - sorry I don't recall the name right now* - but yes, he is only 18!

So Robert Van Pelt is the youngest Moto rider this year... (and I believe up until this year, was the youngest - or at least joint-youngest competitor in a Dakar) - I stand corrected!

Jx

*edit: #276 JeremŪas GonzŠlez Ferioli

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/rider/276.html

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 05:05 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #6663
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Hope no-one minds me posting this....
Nah, we donīt mind.

Gone but never forgotten!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #6664
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
I gotta ask. What's with the 6 clothes hangers while marking the roadbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post

1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #6665
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
His rear wheel is smashed as is his subframe so he might have cartwheeled? Yikes!
Sub-frame on a 450RR?
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #6666
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,464
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #6667
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #6668
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4Dakar View Post
I gotta ask. What's with the 6 clothes hangers while marking the roadbook?
You can draw them on the right hand side of the road book on a tripple caution. If you don't slow down or pay attention, you'll be hanging up your gear!

No, on a serious note, they are to hang clothes from the tent, as shown in the background
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #6669
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Translate Bing

El Dakar no pasarŠ por el Salar de Uyuni debido a las lluvias que anegaron la zona

The organizers of the Dakar Rally today that defined step of close them to 200 riders will not be for the Salar de Uyuni due to constant rains that drowned the area.

At press conference Gregori Murac, director of relationships outside of the Amaury Sport Organisation in the Dakar, said that the competitors they anticipates salting to prevent damage to motorcycles, since the combination of water and salt can corrode the machines.

"On the stage of salt water conditions that are now is 50 centimeters in 6 km, when one goes deeper we are talking about between 10 and 15 water and these conditions do not allow bikes to cross the Salar", said Murac.

He also explained that this type of competition will be framed in the protection of the environment and archaeology, as well as safety precautions to ensure the health of competitors and the people who will be meeting in the competition.

According to the Organization of the event, competitors would perform the following path in the seventh and eighth stage: partiran of Rosario, Salta in Argentina, then they enter Bolivia through Villazon, Tupiza, Atocha, Uyuni, Colchani, Salinas de Garci Mendoza, Tunupa and enter Chile by OllagŁe.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #6670
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
I think he snapped the left fork leg too!!! Brutal off piste downhill to take at speed! Lucky to make it out of there with his body intact I'd think.
I think he snapped both!! Fark
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #6671
DudaRO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95

always in our hearts
DudaRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #6672
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,552
CDP's FB:

The rest day is part of the Dakar tradition but it is also something of a euphemism. All over the bivouac the mechanics are flat out rebuilding the bikes while the riders are kept busy sorting out their equipment, treating their blisters and bruises and doing interviews. At 14h00 the road book for tomorrow will be issued and then at 18h00 there will be the briefing. If they are lucky they might at least get an early night. And they will need it as tomorrow they will start the first day of the marathon stage at 4h30 in the morning!

Cyril Despres

"Well it hasnít been such an easy first week for anybody. The organisers promised us a tough rally and they have more than kept that promise, with a lot of riders, including some of the very best, already out of the race. The fact that we are new team with a new bike has made the challenge even tougher and weíve had a couple of problems that have cost us precious time and currently Iím 11th overall at 2h24 from the leader. If my analysis is correct, the second week is going to be even tougher and from my point of view thatís good news. Right now I really donít know how far I will be able to move up the rankings but if the second week is anything like the first then pretty much anything could happen. The Ďcharmí of the Dakar is that nobody knows the result until the end of the very last stage. What I do know is that I will give everything Iíve got all the way to the end. Iím a racer - thatís the only way I know."

Michael Metge

"Iím obviously disappointed with Cyrilís position. My job is to help him, so if heís having a hard time I feel the same emotion. One of the many things that has impressed me this week though has been his motivation and his belief in himself. He never gives up and always keeps pushing. For my part Iíve really felt the benefit of all the training I did in the months leading up to the rally. This time last year I was feeling pretty exhausted, but this year, despite the difficult of the race so far, I feel on top form and more than ready for what is to come. That for sure has had an impact on my mental state because I also feel really positive. Cyril has had an important role to play there as well. With just a few well-chosen words he helps me find the right pace and the right attitude."
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #6673
DudaRO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
From Cyril's FB:
Quote:
The rest day is part of the Dakar tradition but it is also something of a euphemism. All over the bivouac the mechanics are flat out rebuilding the bikes while the riders are kept busy sorting out their equipment, treating their blisters and bruises and doing interviews. At 14h00 the road book for tomorrow will be issued and then at 18h00 there will be the briefing. If they are lucky they might at least get an early night. And they will need it as tomorrow they will start the first day of the marathon stage at 4h30 in the morning!

Cyril Despres

"Well it hasnít been such an easy first week for anybody. The organisers promised us a tough rally and they have more than kept that promise, with a lot of riders, including some of the very best, already out of the race. The fact that we are new team with a new bike has made the challenge even tougher and weíve had a couple of problems that have cost us precious time and currently Iím 11th overall at 2h24 from the leader. If my analysis is correct, the second week is going to be even tougher and from my point of view thatís good news. Right now I really donít know how far I will be able to move up the rankings but if the second week is anything like the first then pretty much anything could happen. The Ďcharmí of the Dakar is that nobody knows the result until the end of the very last stage. What I do know is that I will give everything Iíve got all the way to the end. Iím a racer - thatís the only way I know."

Michael Metge

"Iím obviously disappointed with Cyrilís position. My job is to help him, so if heís having a hard time I feel the same emotion. One of the many things that has impressed me this week though has been his motivation and his belief in himself. He never gives up and always keeps pushing. For my part Iíve really felt the benefit of all the training I did in the months leading up to the rally. This time last year I was feeling pretty exhausted, but this year, despite the difficult of the race so far, I feel on top form and more than ready for what is to come. That for sure has had an impact on my mental state because I also feel really positive. Cyril has had an important role to play there as well. With just a few well-chosen words he helps me find the right pace and the right attitude."
too slow... Stagehand beat me to it
DudaRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #6674
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post

So this is Enric Marti Flix of the JVO Gas Gas team suffering from heat. Shows just how bad it can be. He also has a lot of pre-existing black and blue bruising from falls? The rider helping him is Gerard Farres Guell and he is showing as a withdrawal. Why did Farres withdrawal? <-- EDIT: I see Farres listed in the Cliff Notes thread as a bike fire. Bummer.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #6675
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Quite a 'penalty zone' there. If that drop off is on a curve, is it a !! or !!! in the roadbook?

There was about 50 km's of following a river. He couodbhave come in too hot on one and wemt over the edge. It would not likely have been marked.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote