Good stuff!

In
Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #32
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef View Post
You missed coming to Big Bend, Texas. And then again, maybe you would have never left if you did come here. Let us know if you do, we will be here for another month. Plenty of room to camp.

Stay well.
Ara and Spirit
We were really debating heading down that way! Seriously, we sat in the parking lot at Guadalupe at talked about whether we should go down to Big Bend since we were already in TX, but decided it was still quite a drive and we didn't really know what we'd find down there. We're happy with the riding in AZ, but it would have been good to since Big Bend. Have fun down there, we'll have to see it another time.
zachbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #33
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I've been to Interlochen - hiked from Kleine Scheidegg down to Grindenwald... in mid-May... in the snow! Brrr..

Enjoy riding in the southwest!

I'll be riding out that way in either early March or sometime this summer.

Not sure I'd like kicking an XRR....
Yeah I am only in Interlaken during the summer! Zambia is my usual winter home, but this year I am trying out America instead!

Heading back in Europe in March, so will probably miss you.
AndieFlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #34
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
Once you get the hang of the secret handshake starting ritual of the XR, you'll see that it isn't too bad. Keep with it!
Humm....ok well I guess I will stick with it them!!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #35
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

On our Xmas day road ride up Mt Lemmon I realized that my clutch was slipping. I hadn't noticed it on the dirt because I'd put it down to the tires spinning a bit. I put up a thread on the regional forums looking for a bit of help to change the clutch out and was lucky enough to get hooked up with MAXVERT who helped me check it out and make sure it really was burned up clutch plates before I ordered the parts. Since he lives on the north end of Tucson, we headed up to Oracle after checking out the bike. It's a few thousand feet higher than the city up there, so we got a bit chilly at night, but we found a nice spot to camp for a few days and got to do some nice rides:

First, we decided to check out the Tucson Wash ride, just to the north of Oracle. It's got some really nice scenery, but (as the name would imply) it's mostly in a dry riverbed, so it's got a lot of sand. Andie was not too happy with the soft sand and struggled a bit at first, but got better quickly as she built up the confidence to let the bike do it's own thing and to go a little faster.

Deeper than it looks:

Train trestle at the end of the wash:

Had to climb up on it:

Tucson Wash ends at the town of Mammoth. We still had quite a bit of daylight left, so we decided to head east into the Galiuro Mountains to explore a bit. We rode to where the road started to get steep and rocky and decided that we should probably turn around. Found a cool little slot canyon where we turned around.

Heading into the mountains:

Is this thing on?:

Slot canyon:

Looking downstream:

Andie's working on her motorcycle gear modelling portfolio:

All in all, it was a great day. A bit too much sand in the morning, but it was really cool to get into the Galiuros for a bit, we'll have to go back. The next day we rode up the Mt. Lemmon back road, just for another scenic drive. We turned around after 10 miles or so, as we had gotten quite a late start. Had to run into town to refill water, so got to make use of the rack:

After this I got a message from a buddy that he'd made a last minute trip to Eloy to hang out at the dropzone there. Since we were still waiting on parts for my bike we headed over there to hang out. Eloy ride report coming soon!

zachbrowning screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 02:21 PM
Old 01-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #36
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Would love to 'model' some trousers that are actually long enough!! Need 34/35 inside leg...anybody know of any chicks trousers this length?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #37
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
You missed coming to Big Bend, Texas. And then again, maybe you would have never left if you did come here. Let us know if you do, we will be here for another month. Plenty of room to camp.

Stay well.
Ara and Spirit
We are generally here in the winter times. Have about 10 acres 30 miles north of the Park with solar, water catchment and all that good stuff! Welcome anytime next time when near by. Much to see and ride on 3 million acreas and 1500 miles of unpaved.
Stay well.
Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #38
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

Quote:
We are generally here in the winter times. Have about 10 acres 30 miles north of the Park with solar, water catchment and all that good stuff! Welcome anytime next time when near by. Much to see and ride on 3 million acreas and 1500 miles of unpaved.
Stay well.
Ara and Spirit
Sounds like a great setup! We'll look you up if we're back that way.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #39
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

Been doing lots of riding, and mostly camping in remote areas so it's taken awhile to do an update. Let's see, where were we?

We headed to Eloy to pick up my buddy, then drove right back to Tucson to celebrate New Year's. After our raging festivities around a campfire in the Catalina Mountains, we drove on back over to Eloy so my buddy could jump and we could make use of the nice camping facilities including HOT SHOWERS and laundry. Wow, luxury. Neither of us had had a "real" shower in a long time, so this was a real treat. Clean and fresh, we headed to bed ready to see what the area had to offer in regards to riding. Our first ride was exploring the area to the east of town, making it as far as the north end of the Picacho Mountains. We followed the irrigation canal for quite awhile, then crossed on this bridge:

Andie wasn't too happy about the loose conditions thus far on the ride, so was happy to see this concrete bridge

Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse and the road turned to pretty deep sand:

Andie wasn't too stoked at this point, so she decided to let me go play for a little bit while she enjoyed the scenery. She climbed up on this nice pile of boulders and enjoyed the evening light:

I rode on and the road surface actually got better a little further on. Since it was already getting to be late afternoon it was time to head back to camp, but we found a more direct (paved) route back and decided to explore this are some more another day. We could get here quick on the paved route, plow through the sand knowing it wouldn't last forever, then check out the rest of the area. Good plan, but first we wanted to ride up to Florence and check out the trails up there!

We got up early the next day, dressed warm for a long pavement pounding session, and headed out towards Florence. We made it there with no drama and headed out the Price road east of town along the Gila River. Our goal was the Box Canyon road and then we'd decide if we wanted to ride anything more. It's a beautiful ride, but was a bit challenging in spots for Andie. She got over her fears though and managed to ride all of the obstacles on the trail. Very proud

Start of the Box Canyon:

Entering the canyon:

More canyon scenery:

It really is a beautiful ride:

We through the whole "normal" section of the ride. When we got to the super technical section Andie took a break and I rode on to check it out. A lot of it looked like this:

I rode those parts. What I did not ride was this part:

I took the sissy path around that looked like this:

I made it back to Andie in one piece and we headed back. The ride was longer than we had thought, and we had a lot of pavement to ride back, so we didn't explore any of the side roads. There's a ton of super technical stuff on the side trails I think, so it would be a cool area to explore some other time.

We got back to Eloy just in time to enjoy a gorgeous sunset and crack open a beer with my buddy who'd had a boring day jumping out of airplanes.

Our final day we decided to head back to the area north of Picacho Mountains we'd gone the first day. We cruised over there quickly on the pavement, Andie braved the sandy section, and we started exploring the small tracks in the area. There was a bit more sand, but not too bad, and a whole lot of cactus. At one point we saw a cow whose whole face was covered in jumping cholla. Ouch!!! So much for "free-range" beef being humane! Luckily neither of us had a run-in with any of the spiky bastards and we enjoyed our ride. Found more of these really cool boulder piles that reminded us of the desert in Namibia:

We climbed up a ways and had a snack. The view towards Tucson:

That concluded our riding around the Eloy area. I'd been waiting for a package to come with the parts for my clutch. It showed up and it was time to go do some wrenching. I made arrangements with MAXVERT to do the clutch install and we headed back to the Tucson area. Had a great time catching up with my buddy and exploring the area. And we got HOT SHOWERS! Did I mention that?

zachbrowning screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 02:33 PM
Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #40
THUMPER0475
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78

Man, your one lucky advr to have Andie ride with you on her own bike. Pretty cool.
THUMPER0475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #41
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Awesome report and pics! I live in New Mexico and have been shopping for street plated XR650R too, but have been wondering about the title/registration thing as well. High Desert title was not worried about turn signals, horn, high/low beams?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #42
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,510
Gallinastrips, High Desert will take care of you. Like the Garne Trials boots she is modeling.

Great stuff.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #43
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,504
Great stuff. Keep it coming.

I'm interested in more info and photos of the van. The new Ford Transit is a few months away and I like the idea of being indoors high and dry, locked and secured. The sleeping arrangements and storage are of great interest.

I'm getting too old to sleep on the ground crawling in on my hands and knees.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #44
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Gallinastrips, High Desert will take care of you. Like the Garne Trials boots she is modeling.

Great stuff.
They are actually Forma Boulder boots, could not get the Garne ones in my size!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #45
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER0475 View Post

Man, your one lucky advr to have Andie ride with you on her own bike. Pretty cool.
Safer on my own bike then on the back of his