and a nice Orange Ghost Orb...Great Shot
There's a logical explanation for that
Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #964
holiday
DL650K7

Oddometer: 88
Zion

Loved the long lonely highway shots.
Thought I might see you and your Dad in the Narrows, yesterday. Too cold for riding. But I did wish that my hiking sticks had heated grips!
It was a balmy 35 degrees at the trailhead.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7707293...7639404362016#
holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #965
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Informal Dual Sport Ride: Wed, Jan 8th at 11 am

Meet at MotoZoo. Post up or PM if interested. No firm plans. Couple of hours, easy dirt.

Santa Claus brought a new orange toy to a semi-local inmate. Apparently, it is time for him to go check it out.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Thanks, holiday. No Narrows for us until warmer temps. Very bold. How about heated socks. Nice pics.

Byork and Hoot Gibson . . . yes, I thought the orange lens flare fit right in with the Darwin Dance Hall pic.

Thanks, MasterMarine. Yes, the Versys was not going to be the right bike for the back route from Darwin down to Panamint Springs. The start of the dirt/gravel in Darwin looked smooth enough . . . but there is a lot of elevation drop to Panamint . . . don't expect it to be smooth the whole way. Certainly didn't want to get in a jam with the V a million miles from nowhere off-road in Death Valley.

On the plus side . . . the Versys was excellent on miles and miles of smooth asphalt. Much sportier than grinding out miles on a dual sport. Would like to go back to Death Valley with the dual sport. Would be an equally fun, but totally different trip. And yes, big temp variation based on elevation, and also time of day . . . cold mornings. Thanks for checking in.

And Superhawk . . . good to see you Hope you are surviving the bitter cold weather of the east. Wife was just in Philly. She's glad to be back in Utah.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #966
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Wife was just in Philly
- I dont mind Philly although living out west will absolutely ruin every other place :)

Quote:
And Superhawk . . . good to see you Hope you are surviving the bitter cold weather of the east. Wife was just in Philly. She's glad to be back in Utah.
Im loving the cold as we dont get a big window to ice fish here and the artic blast is extending my season
Although I am chomping at the bit to get back out to Utah - I'll wait for the warm weather since I dont ski and prefer to mountain bike instead.
I only made it out there twice last year so keep the pics coming - between your thread and Signals thread I get my weekly Utah fix !
Mike
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #967
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Afternoon Inmate Ride - New KTM

On my way to MotoZoo to meet the inmates . . . I look down on the center of St. George and see quite a nice fire.

Here's the new orange toy. All street legal from the guys at KTM/Rocky Mountain ATV in St. George. Bike is still shiny . . . doesn't look like it has been on dirt yet.

And the happy owner, Ringokelly! Santa treated him well this year. He must doing something right in life.

We are up on the "Turkey Farm Road" that runs from St. George to Silver Reef. No serious mud, only a few wet spots. Some dried ruts. Overall very good conditions. Great day to be out.

Blue - Orange - Blue. RRR - Ringokelly (previously on Red/Green KLX) - StG as always on his trusty supersized WRR.

Couple of small canyons in the area. Lots of smiles as StG is offering free canyon guiding services to Ringokelly. I think the conversation went something like this. Ringokelly says, "I might try that canyoneering once the weather warms up." StG says, "Yeah . . . I'll guide . . . I have all the ropes, harnesses, and carabiners. It's really quite safe. Equipment failures are very, very rare . . . but, if you do happen to drop over a cliff and the rope fails . . . can I have your new orange bike?"

I think that ended Ringokelly's interest in canyoneering . . . at least with StG.

Our bikes near a few of the smaller canyons.

Testing out Ringokelly's new orange machine. Super tall seat height.

Best to give the orange beast back to its owner. The first dings on a bike should always be put on by the owner.

StG near an old mine in Silver Reef.

Nearby on a hill in Leeds above I-15. Look for the chess piece above the white "L"

StG, Ringokelly, RRR. Ringokelly liked his new bike so much he bought us all lunch. Thank you. Very good way to spend the afternoon . . . riding motos with imaginary internet friends. See you guys again soon.

After lunch I cruise back towards home on a newly opened piece of the new Southern Parkway. Very smooth asphalt and some nice views.

Thanks for stopping by, and for all the comments. More Death Valley pics to follow. Ride safely out there.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 09:46 PM
Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #968
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Great day!

Big thanks to RRR and STG for letting me tag along. Great day to ride, great bike, great conditions and best of all...great company!

Hope to see you soon.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #969
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
Jan. 8th Ride

Looks like a fun ride. Wish I could have been there!

Nice bike Kelly!
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #970
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
On my way to MotoZoo to meet the inmates . . . I look down on the center of St. George and see quite a nice fire.

I was wondering what all that smoke was from...thanks R3 for another fun ride! Kelly, next time lunch is on me.

Guys considering whether to ride across the 500 ft deep mine shaft opening
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #971
eveRide
n00b

Oddometer: 8
The creepy note you got was not meant to be creepy :D

Hey RRR! Man it has been a long time since contacting you-- but today I was at Home Depot and could have sworn the WR250R was yours! I left a note with my contact info if you'd like to meet up and ride some time. It looks like we've both been on a few great adventures down here this year and I'd love to link up and share some adventures! Ride safe, sir!
eveRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #972
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lucky WRR ride got a mystery note

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveRide View Post
Hey RRR! Man it has been a long time since contacting you-- but today I was at Home Depot and could have sworn the WR250R was yours! I left a note with my contact info if you'd like to meet up and ride some time. It looks like we've both been on a few great adventures down here this year and I'd love to link up and share some adventures! Ride safe, sir!
Hey eveRide -- I was at Brian Head for the last day or two . . . so someone else in St. George got a "creepy" note on their WRR. Fair warning . . . if some lunatic contacts you wanting to ride . . . it's not me. Might be your new best friend who rides his WRR to Home Depot. Good luck with that.

Always good to find a few more local inmates looking for the occasional ride. Turns out that PMs and posts on this page tend to work quite well. Although I do appreciate the thought of the note. Ok . . . I'm sure we'll be in touch. Take care.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #973
eveRide
n00b

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Hey eveRide -- I was at Brian Head for the last day or two . . . so someone else in St. George got a "creepy" note on their WRR. Fair warning . . . if some lunatic contacts you wanting to ride . . . it's not me. Might be your new best friend who rides his WRR to Home Depot. Good luck with that.

Always good to find a few more local inmates looking for the occasional ride. Turns out that PMs and posts on this page tend to work quite well. Although I do appreciate the thought of the note. Ok . . . I'm sure we'll be in touch. Take care.
Oh man that is embarrassing! He had the side-saddlebag and everything. The helmet seemed the same, too... look out man, because you have a doppelganger! I'll send you a PM with my contact information. If you're a texter, I set up rides once in a while via Text with my buddy "Goat Cabeza".
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #974
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,228
Love the riding pictures, how about some skiing ones too.

I put in for a transfer at work for SLC or Phoenix. Wish St George was an option. Might know by late summer or fall.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #975
eveRide
n00b

I'm a moron

RRR, I just figured out how to receive emails for private messages and follow your thread... I have missed a few messages from you! *faceplam* Now I feel like a jerk, but never again! Glad to finally be connected!