Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
it was in my blood
always
cheers
Damn straight!

I knew from the age of 4 that it was my destiny and when I saw my first GP on tv in about 78' it affirmed the awakening in me!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #47
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
So then maybe my story might be something different...

I was always your classic anti bike cager. Never liked the idea of bikes, thought they were a death wish, and swore up and down you couldnt pay me to get on one, even as a passenger, and that I would NEVER own one for sure! Ever...!!!

BUT, most of my friends had bikes... sport bikes mostly... and then my very best friend bought an HD sportster 1200 as his first bike. It looked so cool, and sounded nice, I figured id at least learn to ride one, just so I can say I did it. I mean.. c'mon... it was a harley! Well, I got on that sportster and didnt get off for almost 45 minutes. Every time I twisted the throttle I was in heaven!

a month or so later I bought my M50 cruiser and the rest is history.

Never say never!
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #48
ezrydr
Dead Man Riding

Oddometer: 590
I think it started when I was a little kid - and I mean LITTLE, like preschool; I think I must have been 3 because I'm pretty sure WWII was still on. I was with my mother in a dime store and I was looking at a display of toy soldiers, and she said I could pick one. But I'd already locked onto the one I wanted; it was a dispatch rider - a soldier astride a big motorcycle. It was cast metal (which raises doubt as to my dating, because during the war metal toys weren't all that common) and it was all in one piece; looking back, I realize the modeling was pretty crude. But I didn't care; to me it was wonderful.

And Mama bought it for me, and it became my favorite toy - in fact it's the first toy I remember owning, though undoubtedly I had others before it. I named the rider Motor, and he and I went everywhere together; I carried him in my pocket and slept with him under my pillow. Mama had to order me to keep him out of sight in church and refrain from vrooming him up and down the back of the next pew.

Of course, since I was a little kid and since we moved around a lot as soon as the war ended, I eventually lost him. (Probably stolen by one of those little Okie bastards in one of those trailer camps around Bakersfield.)

But I've had a thing for motorcycles as long as I was old enough to have a thing for anything; and I think I have Motor to thank for that. Which I guess is a demonstration of the principle, "The difference between men and boys is just the price of the toys."
El otro de mi sangre y de mi nombre.
- Jose Luis Borges
ezrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #49
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,926
Yamaha TY80
Old 01-12-2014, 02:31 AM   #50
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 901
Hmmm, I think bikes found me........ then you're doomed for life

Me in the mid 1970's - it the engine that made me rotund

Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:06 AM   #51
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
I was fortunate to grow up around scooters and motorcycles. Used to stand on the floorboard in front of my dad on his Vespa when I was 3 (1956). He owned a Vespa shop in Portland so we did a lot of riding. Started riding on my own at 8 or 9 and have been riding ever since.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 AM   #52
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I was lucky because my dad, two of my uncles, and lots of family friends rode. I don't remember my first ride, but the first bike I actually owned was a Honda XR100 paid for with lawn money. I was 12 and I had been riding a "borrowed" XR75. Man, I was one proud kid when I got that first dirt bike
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #53
weeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
My 1st bike at 13 years old was a Honda s90 cut the pipe down turned it into a trail bike. One day my uncle which flat tracked Harleys, BSA, and triumphs in the 50's & 60's invited me to come along with he and some friends to ride the fire trails in the Santa Cruz mtns to the coast. Well, I was totally embarrassed when most of those guys were running Bultacos, CZs and the like. Needless to say I was the last guy to show up at the end.
I came back the next summer with a Husky 400 to play with! Had a stint racing rd350s and rd400s in the mid 70's with AFM against Steve Baker and Kenny Roberts on the track but never was able to pass them.
One thing I do remember well was my 2nd MC was a Honda 350 bought brand new ended up in the bottom pile of non Harley Davidson bikes at the Altamont/Rolling Stones concert by security (Hells Angels) behind the stage.
weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #54
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Dad is #71D. That cover it? He's smiling 'cause he'd just beat the other guys who aren't smiling.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #55
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,595
Cool!

I really got the bug after watching the SuperBikers in the 80's. That was the coolest race ever.
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #56
scguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Strangely enough, it was a Popular Mechanics article on dual sport/adventure bikes comparing the WeeStrom to the Tiger, GS, et all. I just remember something clicked and i thought, I should get a bike. I really liked the WeeStrom, but the more i looked at bikes, the more i liked the UJM.
I'd never ridden before besides a mini bike once or twice.
A few friends had cruisers, but they never have done anything for me. What put me over the edge was my cousin buying a 2013 Honda CB1100. It was then I decided to buy a bike. I rode a friends Rebel for a bit to get used to clutch and shifting and then jumped straight from a Rebel to a CB1100. Big difference! I bought a 1984 Nighthawk 700S and we rode everywhere last summer. His bike has over 11k miles and I put on over 6k in my 6 months of riding. Best summer ever.

Here's a pic with my cousins bike and mine:

RD
scguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #57
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,851
^ that's a great story
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #58
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Dad is #71D. That cover it? He's smiling 'cause he'd just beat the other guys who aren't smiling.
Great photo. Where is the track? Date?
Thanks.
Oh and I got the fever when I built a mini bike from plans back when I 13 years old.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #59
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,613
I started out with a Briggs powered mini bike at age 5, moved up to a broken down Bultaco 100 at age 8, back in 1968 (which the local farm mechanic helped me fix) That hooked me on both riding and wrenching on motorcycles, and I have had over 40 of them since, of all kinds. I quickly developed a like for cruisers in 1980, when I bought my first new street bike (a Suzuki GS450L) because of their comfort. While I raced MX as a teenager, on bikes I built/rebuilt from basically junk, and got banged up several times, I never had any desire for roadracing, or trying to ride that way on the street. While I have racked up a lot of miles, I was never a hardcore rider. Most of those miles were done on the interstate. I am also a trail rider, but as I got older, I toned it down quite a bit, as getting hurt became a lot more serious than it once was. So now I putt around town on a scooter, ride the highways on a cruiser, and go trail riding on a small displacement dual sport.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #60
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
My first childhood memory of bikes was at my grandparent's house in Andorra when I was about six or seven. Twice a day, a guy would go roaring past on a CB750 and I just loved it. I remember trekking round all the toy shops and department stores in Andorra with my grandparents until I found the Burago scale model of that bike.

Fast forward a bit and the next-door neighbours in the village where I grew up in Britain had bikes - the father had a CB750 with a Rickman fairing and panniers and the son had a tuned Kawasaki Z900 with clip-ons and loud exhausts. I loved hearing that Kwacker being warmed up every morning when he went off to work.

Fast forward some more. I was living in a small town in south-western France and was about to relocate to Nice to go to film school. I realised that I'd need a vehicle and as I didn't have a car (I had failed my driving test a few years earlier, mainly through lack of interest) I decided to take my motorcycle test, passed, and my parents were kind enough to buy me my first bike (a 400cc Suzuki Bandit). The rest, as the saying goes, is history...

I'd love to find a nice, cheap, red Bandit 400 - I loved that bike madly, and I still miss it.