Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #151
reed valve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Really really great ride report.spent most of yesterday reading it from start to finish.I hope there is lots more to come.
reed valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #152
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 94
Cheers Reed Valve

Thanks Reed Valve,

I'm stoked your enjoying the ride!

There is certainly more adventure to come, especially with doing Cape York solo on the cards!!!

I can't wait to get a moment to share it all with you!

Hoonatic Ty 😊
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #153
bj4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
When do you plan on doing cape york? With the wet season un full swing up there now I would think you wouldn't be able too do it till at least April?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #154
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Done and dusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj4x4 View Post
When do you plan on doing cape york? With the wet season un full swing up there now I would think you wouldn't be able too do it till at least April?
Hey there bj4x4,

You are very right on the Cape York timing 😉

I have actually returned from the Cape York trip. Unfortunately (or fortunately!?) with the remoteness of the Cape, the internet/wifi reception points are very few and far between!

I will start my Cape York Ride Report postings soon, they just take a while to do, but I promise the photos, and experiences had will be worth the slight delay!

Regards,

Hoonatic Ty 👍
Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #155
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
hey ty
do you take pictures and make notes whilst out on a ride then do the report when you get back? or do you do the report whilst out on the ride?
the reason im asking is because me and two mates are shipping our bikes from nz to oz in march to start a ride on april the 14th doing the lap of oz, I want to do a ride report and was wondering the best way to do it?
many thanks steve
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #156
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

foggyred reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyred View Post
hey ty
do you take pictures and make notes whilst out on a ride then do the report when you get back? or do you do the report whilst out on the ride?
the reason im asking is because me and two mates are shipping our bikes from nz to oz in march to start a ride on april the 14th doing the lap of oz, I want to do a ride report and was wondering the best way to do it?
many thanks steve
G'day Steve,

Awesome to hear your got an adventure planned! I am genuinely excited for youse! You never know we might bump into each other out on the trail. It's a big country, but a small world if you know what I mean...

With my sea going five week on and five week off work roster I usually do my ride report at the end of my five weeks off or as soon as possible during my time at work on the ship when we are in reception range/port. I'll explain why and how.

All my shots are done with my iPhone or GoPro. I would love to use an SLR camera or use better equipment but as you know, on a bike, space and weight are at a premium. I admire crew that sacrifice other "necessities" for the sake of capturing far clearer, better quality footage with extra photographic equipment.

In the evenings, usually in my swag relaxing, I will sync my photos to iPad (sorry I sound like some computer geek) and go through all the shots keeping and deleting as I see fit. Many times I take multiple shots to make sure I get at least one good one. Humidity, dust, movement etc will wreck many photos and it's hard to realize at times through a small viewing screen with all your riding gear on... The iPad I find is just better to view your shots with and discriminate which are keepers.

I guess I am lucky in one respect while traveling alone and not in a particular rush, it doesn't bother me to stop whenever to take photos. Early in my ride I missed several amazing photo opportunities from hesitating about whether to stop or not. I curse myself with a few once in a lifetime chances I missed!

Both my iPad and iPhone are in those "Lifeproof" covers and I will happily testify they wouldn't have lasted very long without them while beating around the countryside.

So once I stop my riding, clean and service my bike and gear ready for the return to work, I get stuck into to doing the Ride Report. Fortunately the apple equipment and I believe others these days have a GPS (geocaching?) feature that helps me to no end in remembering when and where I was as I took the photos. Without it I would be doing a lot of scratching my head whilst looking at my map wondering "Where the hell was....?"

As I ride, the thoughts and experiences come thick and fast. These all seem to come back to me later once I sit down armed with the photos and keyboard, then the story flows...

I found in many cases where I stop for the night in the outback the phone/internet reception is rare so doing the report is out of the question. Mostly though I'm that worn out after 10 hours hanging onto the bike, just sorting the photos at the end of the day is a battle in itself!

It depends on how long you leave it before you start writing the report, but I am pretty sure with the awesome memories you will no doubt make, you shouldn't have too much trouble remembering them!

You're going to have a ball!

Regards,

Ty 😉
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #157
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 377
Thumb Freaking Awesum

Thanks Ty, just finished reading your RR, and have enjoyed every page, pics are great and you'r writing skills faultless.

Enjoy the ride.

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #158
foggyred
Adventurer

hey ty
thanks for the quick reply, I think I will do the ride report when we get back, I will take notes every day and download the pics to my laptop at night, I will keep an eye on your blogs when we are over there so may be we can meet up ,cheers steve
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #159
joxer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Lovin it

Wow wow wow . What a RR. Got completely consumed in it.What a wonderful, beautiful amazing country that is Australia, From the more fertile lands of the coastal regions to the arid inteior, what a contrast,
An absolutely brilliant and absorbing read,
Stay lucky fella,
joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #160
tyrsmkkyle
off the ground.

Oddometer: 178
GREAT rr man, I read the whole thing today.
tyrsmkkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #161
SoakedAs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I wrote a reply but it mustn't have gone through!

It was great meeting you in Airlie Beach last week Ty.

Good luck in your trip, I'd love to hear how you go on Fraser. If the weather turns bad here I might come and join you somewhere if you'd want some company!

Cheers,
Aram
SoakedAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #162
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Hey Hoonatic, i see you're continuing the awesome effort of your ride report, love seeing the updates come through and i am looking forward to the cape york segment. I'm planning on taking my old man up there in a couple of years but it will be in a 4wd unfortunately... but my old man is getting on a bit now and i know it's something "big" he and i can do together .... cheers to ya!

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #163
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyred View Post
hey ty
many thanks steve
Oh and another idea for ride reports: Is you do it all in a word program like "word" (windows) or "pages" (for mac) as you go along your journey and then all you do is a big copy and paste to ADV once it's ready, the bonus is you can do it in bits and pieces as you go, you can even have the web links to your pics and vid so its a straight copy paste.

cheers

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #164
foggyred
Adventurer

Thumb

thanks for the tip regie
Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #165
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonatic Ty View Post
On the way out to the lookout I came across a strange aeronautical guidance device in the paddock. Naturally because it had a Danger High Voltage and other warning signs I had to take a closer look... I probably won't be able to have babies anymore, but may be able to communicate with a range of aircraft telepathically due to my exposure.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

As a nautical man, and proud Aussie, you might be interested...

This is a VOR/DME or VHF Omni Range beacon coupled with Distance Measuring Equipment. That one is probably the Point Lookout site, callsign PLO. It provides aircraft with their compass direction and distance from that ground station.

The direction function is a 1930s bit of technology. In the centre of that circle, an antenna is transmitting a VHF signal. Each of the little antennae surrounding it transmit with the sine wave shifted out of phase (eg the one due north will have 0 degrees phase shift, the one due east 90 degrees, and so on). The resulting composite signal is interpreted by aircraft equipment as a compass direction from the station (as opposed to even older, 1910s-era beacons which display direction TO the station). In the original systems this would have been achieved by an antenna rotating around the centre, like a radar, but this one is a modern solid-state one where each of those little domes takes turns to transmit.

The distance function, however, is a post-war Australian invention patented by AWA. It's basically a reverse radar: aircraft transmit a pair of pulses on the frequency nominated for this site, and measure how long the signal takes to return. This is interpreted as distance, although it is the "slant range" distance to the site, which depending on altitude, can be a lot longer than the distance over the ground.

Combined VOR/DME sites like this have a range of about 200 nautical miles and an accuracy between 25-100m, depending on altitude. They are being slowly allowed to fall out of repair as GPS becomes more prevalent.

Parking where you did, below the array and outside the fence, you're unlikely to have exposed yourself to much radiation, your boys are safe!