Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #136
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I have found that the surefire way to get a friendly conversation started is to simply say "nice bike". If it is such a rat bike that I can't say it with a straight face I can always find something else positive to say - one time I was stumped until I noticed that the owner had welded up his muffler out of a coffee can - that was actually pretty cool
Huh, sounds like you met Skippii.

I don't often get the "real bike" comments. If it does happen, I tell them that I looked at HD's, but couldn't get knobbies in the right size, so I had to go with something else.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #137
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by portalespeanut View Post
I enjoy this forum, but rarely post...odd that I'd reply on this thread, but here's my .02 cents...

I've been on bikes since the late '60's starting with a Honda minibike, and through the years have been blessed to own a wide variety different bikes...many of them memorable ones. The list includes dirtbikes such as Huskys, Bultacos, and Hondas too, throw in a Penton or two, and a Kawasaki, with a couple of CJ framed 'one offs' included. I've owned the original UJM, an awesome CB 750 K1 that I kept and rode for many years, but have had a long list of other fun street bikes through the years, which includes a couple of HD's. My barn has had a wide variety of bikes in it through the years, and to me, that's a great thing.

While I admit that it's true that there's the potential for just about anybody to become an a$$hole under the wrong circumstances, I believe those idiots are the minority. I've noticed that time and miles on bikes tend to temper those things in most riders. If someone stays in our sport for the longterm, they figure out the secret...that the real joy is just in being on the bike!...whatever it is at that moment. The friendships I've made are awesome...but the biker culture (like our society) will always be in change. There's something about putting 100,000 miles on many different bikes over many years that just puts the 'brand' issue into perspective, and reminds me of what being on the road, or off the road, on any bike is all about. I keep thinking...'so many cool bikes, so little time to ride them all'. There's a few don't share that perspective though, and often their identity is found in being a part of some 'biker culture'.

I've had a couple of incidents in my time as a rider...and they were from noobs, or non-riders. Their comments proved to me that they haven't figured it out yet...the awesome joy of doing life on 2 wheels. Recently, I've noted a growing crowd in our local multi-line bike shop which includes HD, Triumph, and all four Japanese lines. On the surface, these guys look like they've come off of the set of 'Sons of Anarchy'. Then I look at them, mostly young guys, and I wonder which of them will figure it out and be 'one of us' (a rider and lover of motorcycles), and which ones will move onto the next fad once they become bored. I'm reminded of the truth once again...that in every group or style of riders, there's the one's who ride for the joy of it, and they are the majority...and will always be those who are in it due to some identity crisis.

A few will always use something to divide and fight...I see motorcycling as the great unifiying thing, as I think about all the folks I've made friends with through the years...from a motocross track, or an enduro, to a weekend of carving twisties in the mountains...all because we just loved being on our bikes. I can connect with any of those guys who are out there on the trails and roads because they are riders, no matter what they happen to be riding...and the rest don't matter. I just ride away and pity them for not getting it...
You may not post much, but when you do….

Nice work!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #138
portalespeanut
nEARLY nORMAL

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
I have found that the surefire way to get a friendly conversation started is to simply say "nice bike". If it is such a rat bike that I can't say it with a straight face I can always find something else positive to say - one time I was stumped until I noticed that the owner had welded up his muffler out of a coffee can - that was actually pretty cool
This is true...starting with a simple compliment can make all the difference and is often the first step to learning someone else's story and making a new friend. As to the OP, there wasn't an opportunity to do that...and again, to just walk away and let the idiots reveal themselves is the best thing. A wise farmer once said, "Never get in a pigpen and wrestle with a pig...the pig enjoys it, and you just get covered in mud."

XR650R Oink!, '08 Concours 1400A, and many other notable rides, (and not so notable) now gone...
portalespeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #139
brewski83
JUST SPIT ON IT

Oddometer: 278
DS Diss

I was riding off-road at an OHV area a month or so ago and came up on a guy riding a nice DRZ 400, I was on my WR250. I simply said "Nice Dual Sport man!" He kind of shook his head and just looked the other way..totally snubbed me! Almost like he was embarrassed to be seen on it. I just took off but still felt a little hurt....Not like I wanted to be BFFs or anything!
brewski83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #140
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I had a similar situation happen to me today at convience store over a parking spot. I unknowingly cut off a guy while pulling into the spot, but he was entering through the exit portion of the lot and I wasn't expecting a car coming from that direction. Dude parked directly behind me and jumped out of his car and was coming at me pretty fast. I put up my hands and said "stop, bad idea". He looked me in the eye and knew that it was not going to work out. He just turned around and muttered some choice words under his breath and drove away.

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a dork, I can fight like Forest Gump runs. I have earned four black belts and trained and competed in martial arts for over 20 years now. I make my living as a MA teacher, and have now for 12 years. I can't turn a wrench, or build a damned thing to save my life. But, the language of fighting is fluent to me. I love to train, and honestly I love to fight. Not on the street with knuckleheaded tough guys, but in the gym with other martial artists, in a competitive and respectful way. There have been a few times in my life when a shithead tough guy starts trouble with me or someone around me who isn't able to defend themselves. I always try to de-escalate, and I physically engage when no other option is available. Each time it's been over in less than 5 seconds. Way less. There's a lot of really tough dudes in this world, I am by no means claiming to be anywhere near the top of that heap. I'm just a little dude, 5ft 9in around 170lbs, but when the shit hits the fan my brain turns off and my body does what is very natural. A good martial artist has a plan A,B,C,D,E, ect. ect...

Ok, I'm not saying all this to brag(well maybe a little ) I'm saying this to try and promote the value of good training. We all need exercise. I feel that a great way to get it is to train in some sort of MA. It doesn't need to be rough or violent, and a good smart instructor won't run their school that way. The beauty of training is that you usually don't ever have to use it. When a shithead like the one who approached you about your bike starts in, generally a look into your eyes is all he needs to let him know that you aren't the best choice for a victim. We humans have a very strong threat assessment built into our brains, and it generally works in the background without us knowing. When a potential bully type looks into my eyes, he sees more than what is on the surface. He subconsciously chooses to drop it.

I wish that way more people in this world trained. I guarantee that the world would be a whole lot more peaceful.
Don't fuck with this guy - or anyone that uses deescalation as their first option. Really don't fuck with them if they tell you "I am not very tough." The real deal never looks or acts tough. They won't be "mad" at you as they kick your ass, instead they will feel bad for you (way worse.)

E
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #141
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 149
Harley put downs ? I lived in Connecticut for a few years. There was The Red Dog Saloon in Newtown ? I could get there on a 40 mile loop or a 100 mile loop I lived in Guilford on the coast. Several times during the winters I had the only motorcycle in the parking the guys were still there in black and leather I parked my R/90 in front of the window.with a secret smile .Once I saw a show of real class there as I pulled into the lot this guy pulled out, black leather head band full biker drag and he was on a mo-ped! They could take his license but they couldn't keep him from riding !
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #142
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
To the thread creator........hold pump hose and point at bad guy.....pull trigger and saturate person with gas....wait to see what happens.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #143
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
I think often it is the 'build quality' that leads them to believe it may be British... (sarcasm)

Or the fact that Germany doesn't start with a B. 'Bayerische' isn't exactly a word heard every day...
Funny story related to that. Took our sons to Europe to ride about 10 years ago and flew out of Toronto, on the way back my eldest was driving a 2nd car with his fiancee and one brother, he got to the US border and presented his passport, the Immigration officer asked how long he had been in Canada and for what yada, yada, yada. Son told him, they he just flew back from Munich, and was heading home. Officer leafs through the passport and starts to question him more, he said why isn't there a German stamp on your passport? My son says there is, officer hands it to him and says "show me" he flips to the page with the "D" and says here it is, officer says, "you told me you were in Germany", that is a "D", son looks at him and says ever heard of Deutchland!!! Officer says "Oh" have a nice day.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #144
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
I have found that the above has always worked for me, I am generally an over friendly person especially when I am riding. I have had a group of Harley guys ignore me or say what an ugly bike the GSA is, but that has only happened once. Every other time I have had good reactions with hard core Harley riders. I always park the GSA right up there with whatever brand of bikes are parked at locations. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #145
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
I have found that the above has always worked for me, I am generally an over friendly person especially when I am riding. I have had a group of Harley guys ignore me or say what an ugly bike the GSA is, but that has only happened once. Every other time I have had good reactions with hard core Harley riders. I always park the GSA right up there with whatever brand of bikes are parked at locations. D.
I like to park the 990, dripping mud all over the place, right next to the shiniest trailer queen in the parking lot. The reaction is almost like they thing the dirt is contagious.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #146
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 993
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #147
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,845
Haters gonna hate. Simple as that.

Group mentalities are interesting.

The HOG groups tend to be a snobby bunch, but not the HD ones, if you can understand the difference.

The MOA crowd seems to a have a fair sized contingent with a sense of entitlement, but that being said my guess is that they're only 20% of that bunch. They're the ones decked out in the shiny new everything from the BMW catalog it seems, so easy to spot. The Airheads not so, they're your friend right away because you might have that piece of wire they need to 'borrow' to get home...

The Moto Guzzi crowd, now there's a bunch of nutters. Mostly old school riders, been there, done that. As an overall group, the most unassuming of the lot. Will have that piece of wire the Airheads need...

Had incidents, sure. Had good training in my old line of work that really helped me to keep the situations peaceful until I could make my exit. As was said: Assholes can be anywhere. But they are the minority.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #148
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
I like to park the 990, dripping mud all over the place, right next to the shiniest trailer queen in the parking lot. The reaction is almost like they thing the dirt is contagious.
I love parking a super muddy street bike next to a bunch of shiny clean dual sport bikes. It just ain't right that a DS bike is clean.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote