Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #31
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
Honestly, I didn't use any of the SER harness. It will just hold you back...

Sorry for the hijak, - but...

Ken,

Ive picked up a low km SM (entire bike) to transplant the 990 into the Adv. With regard to the loom I will freely admit I have no idea what is/isnt needed. Is this a service that you can/would perform if I sent you the existing loom?
Simplifying what seems a very complex loom would be great and make trouble shooting much easier.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #32
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,563
How much is a 950 harness from KTM?
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #33
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
How much is a 950 harness from KTM?
http://www.ktm-parts.com/60011075000.html#.UtIh-_TuIpo
Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #34
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,288
Out of interest Ken, did you use the KTM ECU for your 990SE
Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #35
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Sorry for the hijak, - but...

Ken,

Ive picked up a low km SM (entire bike) to transplant the 990 into the Adv. With regard to the loom I will freely admit I have no idea what is/isnt needed. Is this a service that you can/would perform if I sent you the existing loom?
Simplifying what seems a very complex loom would be great and make trouble shooting much easier.

It's not something I'd personally be interested in doing. But in your case you can simply purchase a 990 wire harness and be done with it.

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #36
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I fuel injected my SE, keeping the 950 motor. It's got plenty of power, especially with the Super Duke ECU Running some whacked out map from the Netherlands claiming 126hp and so far it's been fun. Anybody need a few sets of 950 carbs, I've got them on my shelf and I don't need anymore boat anchors
Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #37
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Anybody need a few sets of 950 carbs, I've got them on my shelf and I don't need anymore boat anchors
emailed you
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #38
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph42s View Post
I think you should convert it to an 1190
Not enough 1190 that are wrecked/stolen/recovered/parting in the US yet.... However that will probably change in about a year or so. I was talking with the local KTM dealer parts manager the other day and he jokingly suggested that the next 'build' that I do on my 06 ADV was to put a 1190 engine in it.... hmmmmm
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #39
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
It's not something I'd personally be interested in doing. But in your case you can simply purchase a 990 wire harness and be done with it.

Thanks K

Can you tell me what the difference is between the SM and Adv looms?
There doesn't seem to be that much difference in equipt between the 2 bikes
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #40
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
I think I'm the only one on here that's actually tried all three on the SER: CV's, FCR's and fuel injection... and I can say without exception that FI is an enormous step up from either of the carb solutions. Responsiveness is the biggest performance gain, but ease of starting and increased power are also significant. As for fuel mileage, any changes are insignificant...

I have tried on my two ADVs: OEM airbox and CVs, open foam filter with CVs, open pleated cotton filters with foam prefilters on FCRs, 990 EFI on 950 engine. So far the EFI is pretty awesome in comparison to all other. I would say that _SO FAR_ (I just got it running recently, ~1000 miles on the build), hands down the EFI works the best in all conditions. Cold starts, hot starts, overall performance (this thing hauls A$$) the EFI setup that I have on my 950 ADV (from a 07 990 ADV) works the best. The FCRs were similar in performance, but cold starts could be a absolute PITA. Elevation changes with the EFI are seamless, anything else and especially the FCRs was fiddle town.

I know that EFI can be made to be near 100% reliable for harsh conditions, it just takes attention to detail in areas that would otherwise cause it to fail.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #41
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Thanks K

Can you tell me what the difference is between the SM and Adv looms?
There doesn't seem to be that much difference in equipt between the 2 bikes
The harnesses are fairly different in where the fuse box sits and other factors, like the SM does (at least in the US) not have a tach, couple other things like where the start motor solenoid is located, voltage Reg/Rec as well as the addition of the EFI plug (different than the carb'd bikes) and the O2 sensor plugs.... Oh, and there is a absolute pressure sensor that sits up in the headlight area on the 990ADV, not sure where it would be on the 990SM.

To peal out the harness like PC did, you will also be eliminating the 'nanny' features with all the which would IMO be a very good thing..... but will require doing a bit of reverse engineering to determine what signals the ECM is anticipating from where and 'faking it out' so it does not throw fault codes.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #42
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
The harnesses are fairly different in where the fuse box sits and other factors, like the SM does (at least in the US) not have a tach, couple other things like where the start motor solenoid is located, voltage Reg/Rec as well as the addition of the EFI plug (different than the carb'd bikes) and the O2 sensor plugs.... Oh, and there is a absolute pressure sensor that sits up in the headlight area on the 990ADV, not sure where it would be on the 990SM.

To peal out the harness like PC did, you will also be eliminating the 'nanny' features with all the which would IMO be a very good thing..... but will require doing a bit of reverse engineering to determine what signals the ECM is anticipating from where and 'faking it out' so it does not throw fault codes.
+1, this also applies to EU bikes. Most of the electronics, relays, etc, for the ADV takes place behind the headlight, fuse block in the glovebox, while these are under the seat on the SE/SM/(SD?). I belive the ECU is also in a different position, and the Battery is also located in a different place. I can imagagine it can soon become a surrealistic nightmare to get the wiring done right using the ADVs harness on the SE/SM/(SD?) and vica versa - would need lots of wiring/soldering (no-no on a dirt bike)/crimping/etc.. But it sure can be done cheaper than buying the closest-to-the-bikes-model OEM harness.

If the SD's harness is anything close to the SE harness, than it might be worth checking out ebay, as I've did a search on it and there are some offers going on there.

Sumi screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 08:56 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #43
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
+1, this also applies to EU bikes. Most of the electronics, relays, etc, for the ADV takes place behind the headlight, fuse block in the glovebox, while these are under the seat on the SE/SM/(SD?). I belive the ECU is also in a different position, and the Battery is also located in a different place. I can imagagine it can soon become a surrealistic nightmare to get the wiring done right using the ADVs harness on the SE/SM/(SD?) and vica versa - would need lots of wiring/soldering (no-no on a dirt bike)/crimping/etc.. But it sure can be done cheaper than buying the closest-to-the-bikes-model OEM harness.

If the SD's harness is anything close to the SE harness, than it might be worth checking out ebay, as I've did a search on it and there are some offers going on there.
The SMR harness was plug and play, and the Super Duke ECU snapped right in. Drama free. Revs over 10k and no immobilizer BS
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #44
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The SMR harness was plug and play, and the Super Duke ECU snapped right in. Drama free. Revs over 10k and no immobilizer BS
After a phone convo with Dan last night, based upon my suggestion to him considering his requirement to have a running 990EFI SE by April, he is going to get a 07 SD harness that is up for sale and we will then plug in the 07 SD ECU I have that will run a custom tune.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #45
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
After a phone convo with Dan last night, based upon my suggestion to him considering his requirement to have a running 990EFI SE by April, he is going to get a 07 SD harness that is up for sale and we will then plug in the 07 SD ECU I have that will run a custom tune.
Would a configuration like this be equal to or better than an FCR? If so, would it be possible (thinking about avg second hand prices) for the 950EFI conversion (everything but labour included) to be cheaper than buying a new FCR kit ($1200-1300) ?