Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #46
yzedf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Honda is pinching pennies company wide in preparation for the 2015 F1 season IMO.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #47
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
rally style events have been tried in Baja and the US with cars and for bikes and they never work
Actually, Baja Rally was quite a success, especially for it's first year. And the NORRA rally is growing by leaps and bounds. Interest in rally is growing in the States, and across North America. And with increasing pavement in Baja, rally format with liaison sections is the future.

Quote:
I don't hear anyone talking about doing a rally instead of the 1000.
You're hanging out in sheltered circles. In my world it's the exact opposite.

Quote:
I'd like to see more rally's (I've done a few and they were fun) and more interest in that here in the USA but I don't see any facts or trends to suggest that is more than my wish.
There are several rally oriented businesses and numerous new products that have sprung up in the States just in the past couple of years, not to mention the new rally events just over the border. It's still small, but the trend is definitely up.

Quote:
There are plenty of competent guys on here with well equipped rally style bikes but are they gonna risk totaling that in Mexico for a rally story?
What? Who were the nearly 40 competitors racing the Baja Rally, and on what bikes? Who are the guys on full-blown Dakar style rally bikes racing the Mexican 1000 rally for the past several years? Who are the people entering the Diabolico Rally?

Maybe you can check out one of the mentioned events and see what's actually happening in rally.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #48
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Yes, I know this is a negative view about the Baja Rally and anytime anything negative is posted those involved with the Baja Rally come out and flame away so pile on you two...
No flames here. I totally respect your opinion and can actually see where you may be coming from. From certain perspectives, what you say about rally in North America would make sense (for some)

Of course our team has a different view about it and, as Stuart Smally would say, "that's ok"
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #49
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Meanwhile ***(and I sincerely do not direct this next observation toward Bump or in response to his valued opinion. The timing of the following remark is solely coincidental)***

I’m fairly confident there is a unanimous consensus around the global medical community that it is physically impossible for human beings to orate discernable words and phrases by using the sphincter muscles in the same manner we use the larynx. However, after reading certain Internet forum posts and FB replies since November 16th, 2013, I am really starting to question conventional wisdom in this particular area.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #50
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
....... They could start a program of developing Honda's Adventure 700 into a rally winner but who would pay for all that development?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/01/20...0x-first-look/

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #51
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
For Immediate Release, January 14, 2014

San Clemente, CA:

JCR/Honda is excited to announce a multiyear partnership with American Honda to compete in the United States largest and most prestigious Off-Road racing series, the Grand National Cross Country series known as the GNCC. With this bold move from American Honda the statement is clear that it is moving forward in Off-Road motorcycle racing here in the US.

"I am ecstatic for this opportunity with JCR/Honda. American Honda and JCR have such a rich and successful heritage in racing together and words can't describe how thankful and excited I am for this opportunity to go GNCC Racing in 2014 as a part of their continuing Off-Road racing efforts." -- Chris Bach

"I am very excited for the new direction and new challenges. I have always admired GNCC's, from the professionalism of the series directors, the extraordinary attendance at each round, the high levels of media exposure, the teams and racers. With Honda's renewed interest in the series, it shows the value and prestige of America's largest Off-Road racing series. I am also excited to announce that we recently signed 2013 #3 GNCC rider Chris Bach. Chris is a fast, young talent with a lot of maturity and is a very methodical racer that fits our program perfectly. We have already begun working with him and are committed to building a successful program. One of the energizing points for me is the opportunity to race in a new atmosphere with new fans at some great venues. I have no doubt that this will be an amazing year. We will be racing the 2014 Honda CRF450R and our goal is to be on the podium and show the GNCC world the capability, durability, handling and performance of the Honda brand." -- Johnny Campbell
Not a single mention of, or best wishes to, displaced BAJA team riders. Waffle-Taco-Fungus
Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #52
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Breauxman View Post
Not a single mention of, or best wishes to, displaced BAJA team riders. Waffle-Taco-Fungus
That has been JCR's mode of operation for some time actually. Think back on who USED to ride for them that suddenly wasn't anymore.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #53
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
I hope you are correct.

I don't have anything against the rallies. In fact I've offered twice to travel to Baja on my own dime and help the Baja Rally with whatever they need.

I underlined "instead" because that was my point. After living in NorCal for several years I saw there is huge interest in Rally up there and beyond. But I have not seen any interest in hard core Score class 22 people in any rally as a substitute for the 1000. Do I know everyone? No. But do I really need to qualify every sentence with disclaimers about it being my opinion and I'm not an omniscient being? And NorCal and the rest of the country does not have the same history with desert racing that we have here and that is the core of Score.

Yes, I am aware there are a great many entrepreneurs out there making and selling rally oriented gear. Will that translate into successful rally events? That seems like a leap and bound the facts do not support. I also think the riding style in SoCal is different than the rest of the country and I don't see that as a good fit for Rally.

And again, Rally is expensive. There has been alot of writing about how modern four strokes are killing offroad racing because of the increased expense. Well, how much expense does all that rally stuff add? Another 50%? Plus we have no farm team structure to groom promising athletes for rally moto either and I don't see anyone talking about setting that up.

As Dean has said repeatedly, Dakar is a French reality series with a race as the backdrop. And Americans already have Nascar for that.

Sure the sales of Rally type Subarus have been great for Subaru. How many of those people have signed up for Rally racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Actually, Baja Rally was quite a success, especially for it's first year. And the NORRA rally is growing by leaps and bounds. Interest in rally is growing in the States, and across North America. And with increasing pavement in Baja, rally format with liaison sections is the future.

You're hanging out in sheltered circles. In my world it's the exact opposite.

There are several rally oriented businesses and numerous new products that have sprung up in the States just in the past couple of years, not to mention the new rally events just over the border. It's still small, but the trend is definitely up.

What? Who were the nearly 40 competitors racing the Baja Rally, and on what bikes? Who are the guys on full-blown Dakar style rally bikes racing the Mexican 1000 rally for the past several years? Who are the people entering the Diabolico Rally?

Maybe you can check out one of the mentioned events and see what's actually happening in rally.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #54
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
I don't have anything against the rallies. In fact I've offered twice to travel to Baja on my own dime and help the Baja Rally with whatever they need.

I underlined "instead" because that was my point. After living in NorCal for several years I saw there is huge interest in Rally up there and beyond. But I have not seen any interest in hard core Score class 22 people in any rally as a substitute for the 1000. Do I know everyone? No. But do I really need to qualify every sentence with disclaimers about it being my opinion and I'm not an omniscient being? And NorCal and the rest of the country does not have the same history with desert racing that we have here and that is the core of Score.

Yes, I am aware there are a great many entrepreneurs out there making and selling rally oriented gear. Will that translate into successful rally events? That seems like a leap and bound the facts do not support. I also think the riding style in SoCal is different than the rest of the country and I don't see that as a good fit for Rally.

And again, Rally is expensive. There has been alot of writing about how modern four strokes are killing offroad racing because of the increased expense. Well, how much expense does all that rally stuff add? Another 50%? Plus we have no farm team structure to groom promising athletes for rally moto either and I don't see anyone talking about setting that up.

As Dean has said repeatedly, Dakar is a French reality series with a race as the backdrop. And Americans already have Nascar for that.

Sure the sales of Rally type Subarus have been great for Subaru. How many of those people have signed up for Rally racing?
I know ca is the center of the universe but there are other states and ALOT of other racers in the country and world. Socal can have score the rest of us are happy to go rally racing. I'm not talking about rally moto which is where you find Subaru's. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #55
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
That has been JCR's mode of operation for some time actually. Think back on who USED to ride for them that suddenly wasn't anymore.
Great point and duly noted. I am still surprised though.
Mikey Childress got cut before there were emailed PR blasts. Henge was odd man out at the onset of JCR and posed an immediate threat in the '08 SF 250. A year later Bell got snipped and took the 1x plate back to Sun City. Norman got axed and posed a MINOR THREAT. Quinn departed and posed a threat to 1x as KTM upped the "ante".

But as JC effectively departs from "SCORE" BAJA RACING entirely, I would suspect he'd give his displaced warriors a little reach-around in the gosh darn press release. Just sprayin.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 AM   #56
PTRadam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
JCR has joined the GNCC racing series. Read it in a news blurb somewhere. Probably the recognized off road series in America right now.

Sorry, just realized this was mentioned in the thread earlier.
PTRadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #57
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Wow! Joining GNCC? I have followed it for years and IMO the series has declined way off......... From what i have seen pro riders can't get a ride, only factory team is KTM(maybe two teams that arent run out of a van) and there are really only a handful of riders that contend for the podium. Not that i don't want it to grow and take a complete 180 and would love to see Honda have more of a presence in off road...

Maybe this will help turn it around.

just my opinion.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #58
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,674
Money. A two bike, 6 rider team, 2 weeks minimum pre-running, helicopter, and almost 20 pits for the Baja 1000. Pare down to a one bike, one rider. Yeah, money changes everything.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #59
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
all in all, i welcome anything that will improve and grow the sport. Nice to have something new that is not KTM.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #60
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Wow, some funny stuff. I don't mean JCR/Honda moves, I mean the posts on here.

The writing for JCR leaving Baja has been on the wall for years.
They're not down to 1 rider, not even just 2, and working on more.
What else do they need to prove in Baja, until maybe a new bike is released?
An already expensive 3 race series now a 6 race series, and your budget is already too small.
Riders weren't just kicked to the curb from JCR.

Other makes have dominated Baja and left. Baja 500's & 1000's have still happened and been exciting.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote